Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Day Of The Dude annual holiday: March 6th wasn't a good choice for the date. (No offense... :-))

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

Day Of The Dude annual holiday: March 6th wasn't a good choice for the date. (No offense... :-))

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Though we considered many days for the holy day, we settled on March 6th because it’s the day that The Big Lebowski was bequeathed unto the world way back in the year of our Dude, 1998.
    Two big thumbs down from me, not for the holiday or film, but for the choice of day.

imho It should be a day in November, the month when dudes are encouraged to grow moustaches. "Movember", as it's called, is already an annual tradition in recognition of <male-organs> Awareness/Health Month. In some locales in November, dudes also encouraged to grow beards and to not manscape.

The Big Lebowski is one of my favorite "cult" movies. It would be easy to find a day in November, (preferably a little before Thanksgiving), that honors an important aspect of the film.

First of all, do people agree or disagree with the thread title premise?

If people agree, should a poll be started to find the perfect choice for a new holiday date?

The date of March 6th was only recently chosen. If Cyburbian dudes manage to agree on a perfect date, would they consider trying to change the date?
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 06 Mar 2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Clarified the facial hair paragraph.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Should we move Father's Day to November as well since only males can father a child?

When I think of the Day of the Dude, I think of the character - not the facial hair. The Dude is more than a goatee and shaggy hair. He's a lifestyle, he's Creedence, he's White Russians and Cowichan sweaters, he's bowling, he's about having a rug that really pulls a room together.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I can abide with a March date.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    When I think of the Day of the Dude, I think of the character - not the facial hair. The Dude is more than a goatee and shaggy hair. He's a lifestyle, he's Creedence, he's White Russians and Cowichan sweaters, he's bowling, he's about having a rug that really pulls a room together.
    I totally agree. Almost all Americans probably do.

Movember is not something that I invented and "bequeathed" to the male population. The idea of growing facial hair is to "show a face" for Men's Health Month and is symbolic of a dude's total character.

Of course there are other symbols of a dude's total character. I just thought it would be cool to have Day of the Dude celebrated when men would be most in their natural state--that is, with the most hair growth.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I can abide with a March date.
    As a married man, you abide with a date on any month.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Movember is not something that I invented and "bequeathed" to the male population. The idea of growing facial hair is to "show a face" for Men's Health Month and is symbolic of a dude's total character.
    I still do not see the correlation, but if it means anything, there is a March Mustache Madness as well. It does not have quite the same level of support as Movember, but the LA radio stations do participate.

And I can abide with a March date as well so I'll have a Caucasian.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Dude...it's not about a day or anything. It's about being. Let the Dude be.
    Hey careful man there's a beverage here.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Dude...it's not about a day or anything. It's about being. Let the Dude be.
    Hey careful man there's a beverage here.
    Let the Dude be.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. [OMG!] dude
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Apr 2011, 9:28 AM
  2. Good Friday is a Holiday.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48
    Last post: 10 Apr 2009, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 6