Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paczki Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Paczki Thread

It is spelled PACZKI. It is pronounced "punchkey" or "poonchkey". It has been a tradition in my family forever.

Tradition has it that Polish folks would use up all the flour in their home on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday....."Fat Tuesday". A tasty way to do this is to make paczkis......filled powded donuts (no donut hole, we want it all!). In the old days (yes, including Bear's parents) they were filled with prunes. Yuck.

Nowadays, you get 'em filled with jelly or custard-like pudding.

Towns with big Polish populations (Toledo, Chicago, Hamtramck) have big fund-raising events on fat Tuesday. Millions of paczkis are made and sold. Here in Toledo, even a big retail/grocery chain (Meijer's) is promoting paczkis, by having a paczki eating contest.

I had one (1) this morning. Yum.

With residents of Cyburbia spread near and far, any paczki fun going on in your area?

Bearski
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Fat Tuesday - I like the name. In the UK we celebrate 'Shrove Tuesday' by eating pancakes. Like Paczki, It all comes with using up all the flour and fat before Lent.

Its also an excuse for lots of stupid games, such as pancake tossing and various ball games, such as this one

Am looking forward to my pancakes tonight

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When my daughter was in sixth grade, her teacher gave the class a list of different ways they could make book reports. Reading between the lines, we figured that "anything goes". She was reading a book about Polish immigrant families, and at some point in the book, the main character, a girl, made paczki. So, her book report was themed like a cooking show; paczki was the recipe of the day. The night before, we made paczki filled with blueberry preserves, and she took them to school and demonstrated the recipe, ala PBS, and passed out the finished product. 100% on the report!

For Fat Tuesday, I take the kids out to dinner, and they can order dessert in place of dinner. They look forward to it!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    Fat Tuesday - I like the name. In the UK we celebrate 'Shrove Tuesday' by eating pancakes. Like Paczki, It all comes with using up all the flour and fat before Lent.
    Many Episcopalian churches here will celebrate by having pancake dinners tonight. Mmmm.... Pancakes.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    forgive my spelling, but kolachki, rozek, and paczki all ROCK!

I'll have to visit the old pole and slovak ladies of the Altar and Rosary Society of my parents parish. They seem to be constantly baking for church fundraisers.

some of my favorites are cheese kolachki and poppy-seed rozek,
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The grocery stores here bust out the paczki around January. yum. We go to a polish national catholic church, and our annual PolishFest in September is huge. It is one of my happiest eating days of the year.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    i learned today that one "doughnut" is a paczek (pronounced pon-check) while more than one are paczki (poonch-key).

as if!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I miss the paczki at National Bakery and Deli in the community I used to work in. Can't find them here in the Fox Cities, WI.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Purchased five boxes for the office at my corner polish bakery (yes they have twice baked rye and poppy seed rolls too), they were gone by lunch.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Had one this morning.

See, I am Irish, I will have beer tonight. (no different than any other night) But being catholic, tomorrow is the start of a long, not too fun process. NO I AM NOT GIVING UP BEER FOR LENT. I would break one of the Ten Commandments by doing that.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    NO I AM NOT GIVING UP BEER FOR LENT.
    Thank god... I was about to call the insane asylum...
    Cheers!
    Last edited by SkeLeton; 08 Feb 2005 at 8:38 PM.

Registered
    May 2003

Re-Open The Thread & Eat The Paczki

Tomorrow is the 2006 version of "Fat Tuesday". Once again, paczki's are the rage in the Toledo area. Probably also in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Posen, MI.

In the Polish neighborhood along Lagrange Street there is a group that had made thousands and thousands of these tasty treats and started selling them on Sunday. Their sale continues into Fat Tuesday, and they will sell them until they are gone.

On Wednesday we will all be in line at The Y, The J, Curves, or some such place.

Bear With Powdered Sugar On His Nose
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They've been selling these in at least one Buffalo area supermarket for about a month. I haven't tried them yet but they look just like regular donuts, but cost more and are presumably less fresh (they are pre-packed and made by an out of town bakery). Would anyone mind filling me in on what all the hype is about.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Too much sugar for this kid, thanks but no thanks.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Five dozen last year??? Oy vey I need more money!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Paczki's are huge in Detroit, but 10 years living here and I have never had one. I am not a fan of pasty foods, unless it is a croissant.

But for the other fans of this Polish delicacy.... ENJOY!
    urbanchik

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by urbanchik
    Paczki's are huge in Detroit, but 10 years living here and I have never had one. I am not a fan of pasty foods, unless it is a croissant.

Is there a particular bakery around Hamtramck you could recommend (based on others' recommendations)?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I get mine at the New Chene Bakery on West Warren in Detroit. Everyone in the office thinks I bring in the best ones. There are more polish neighborhoods in Detroit than just Hamtramck. The West Side Poles are centered along Michigan Avenue and West Warren and leave peacefully with the middle-easterners. There are also Polish stongholds in Wyandotte, and the Hamtramck Poles are an out growth of the East side Poles, who are now also up in Warren and Sterling Heights.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by urbanchik

We still got a couple in my office.. ya downtown? how about a prune flavored?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think I will have a beer tonight to celebrate. Along with 18 wings from Buffalo Wild Wings! Tomorrow is Lent

Much like last year, not going to give up beer.... wings, yes, beer, no.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    We still got a couple in my office.. ya downtown? how about a prune flavored?
    There's nothing wrong with prune flavored. or walnut rozek, or poppyseed rozek, or apricot rozek rolls. best. pastries. ever.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    They sound yummy! I've never lived anywhere with a significant Polish culture, so I've had little of the food. Had some in Baltimore once, yummy.
    We always hear so much about Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it's great to hear about other cultures' celebration of Fat Tuesday, Lent, etc; thanks.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Would anyone mind filling me in on what all the hype is about.
    Call it "celebration" food. The Polish (and other eastern Europeans) are celebrating their heritage. The Irish do it on St. Patrick's Day, with "Jigg's Dinners". Most folks in the US of A celebrate the Thanksgiving tradition with turkey (and a kazillion other side dishes!). Tradition has it that you need to eat pork on New Year's Day, for good luck.

BTW.....most of the paczkis that you buy in a chain store (Krogers, Meijers, etc.) are made on some assembly line in a big bakery. Try to find the real thing. (When my Dad was still around he would make paczkis, and they were WOW! good.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    There's nothing wrong with prune flavored. or walnut rozek, or poppyseed rozek, or apricot rozek rolls. best. pastries. ever.
    Oh I know, its just not american tastes. My grandmother makes prune perogies!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Hmmm....sounds like the Polish version of the King Cake - minus the sugar, icing, and the plastic baby.

Other than a polish sausage, I don't think I've ever had any kind of polish food. I suppose there aren't too many Poles down here.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 10:49 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM