Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Messing with time

Registered
    Feb 2004

Messing with time

We're off daylight savings and supposedly got an extra hour of sleep. I woke up the last two days at the 'normal' time and lay in bed for about an hour thinking at various intervals 'yep, we're supposed to get an extra hour of sleep.... is it time to get up yet?'

They say it's supposed to be rough when we 'spring forward' (collective jet lag) and good in the fall when we revert to normal time and gain an hour of sleep, but it seems like both shifts disrupt my life (admittedly to a minor degree, but a disruption all the same) regardless of whether we're going forward or back.

How about you, do you have a preference for daylight or standard time? Do you wish they would just leave it at daylight time all year?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When you have kids it doesn't matter. I was up at 5:45 yesterday, instead of 6:45.... time is time for kids... unfortunately. Personally I like seeing the sun in the morning.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    When you have kids it doesn't matter. I was up at 5:45 yesterday, instead of 6:45.... time is time for kids... unfortunately. Personally I like seeing the sun in the morning.
    I learned that exact lesson yesterday for the first time (last year our daughter was young enough that she wasn't really on a schedule so it didn't matter one way or another). I'm an early riser on the weekends anyway (usually about 5:00 a.m.) but like that time before my wife and daughter are awake as my alone time to watch my recorded shows or walk into town for a coffee and pastry. No such luck yesterday because I knew my daughter would be up "earlier" than normal and I like to feed her her breakfast on the weekends.

Now I'm actually looking forward to the spring when we push our clocks forward.

Getting old is hell!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Body clock has been engaged both Sunday & today. Sure would have liked the extra hour.

It didn't bother Mrs. P's sleep - she's a really good sleeper.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2006
    The same with pets. The dog decided that he needed to go out at 6 AM EDT, even if the clocks said 5 AM EST, and the kitties prefer to prowl in the dark anyways, so yours truly has been up earlier than usual. I don't mind seeing the sun in the morning, but it sure gets dark fast, especially in December!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My kids are up religiously at 7am. Guess who decided to be up at 6am the last two days...
    No Signature Required

For someone who spent most of his life not observing DST, I've never had a problem with it. I takes me a day or two to adjust, but then I'm back on schedule.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a harder time adjusting to the fall time change. I can't explain why.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    The lack of sunlight has been draining me for the past few weeks, so I like the fall back. That said, I have been feeling very 'off' since Sunday.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    The lack of sunlight has been draining me for the past few weeks, so I like the fall back. That said, I have been feeling very 'off' since Sunday.
    Yeah I hate this time of year for that reason. When I get off work at 5pm it's dark already. Makes it hard to pick up the dog poop

I think they should just keep daylight savings year round, personally.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here in Indiana this is an ongoing discussion.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Yeah I hate this time of year for that reason. When I get off work at 5pm it's dark already. Makes it hard to pick up the dog poop

I think they should just keep daylight savings year round, personally.
    Well, I was referring to waking up in the dark vs waking to sunlight, but leaving work at dark was also very odd. This is the first year that I've been impacted by DLS. An hour back or forward didn't seem to impact college as much.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I don't know where they're keeping all that daylight they've been saving, but I want it back!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Every discussion I have with people about DST ends in confusion. I mean, really, the same number of hours are still in the day, so what exactly are we "saving?" I have to agree with those that like the light in the morning. I find it hard to get going if its dark when I get out of bed. I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and that was the case there - gtting up at 7 and it was pitch black. Here at least the sun was beginning to come up. ANd now, it is up.

Its hard at first to adjust to the darkness on the other end. I find myself gripped with panic that its so late when the sun goes down, only to realize that its only 5:30. Not sure what that's about, but my wife thinks it is a primordial instinct - get back to the cave!

But I like riding my bike home in the twilight. Its pretty cool.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Here in Indiana this is an ongoing discussion.
    That and class system basketball.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    According to Indiana State Statute, communities with names longer than two syllables revert to Beijing local time on alternate months ending in the letter r. Otherwise on even numbered days of the week daylight savings is observed (except where superceded by special plebicite) on non-cloudy days, on all non-weekend or holiday (federal only, unless said holiday falls on a week day) dates falling within non-exempted special time zones.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Not only do animals not care that we humans "changed the time" I was watching tv and they were talking about the effect this has on people that have to take their meds at a certain time
    So they have to gradually work their meds incrementaly into the "new time"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wonder with TerraSapient and MW about 26 hours behind us, how do they deal with DLS time? Just wondering....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I wonder with TerraSapient and MW about 26 hours behind us, how do they deal with DLS time? Just wondering....
    And what about our Alaskans? Does DLS (DST?) mean anything in the frozen tundra?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Maybe we should all just go to Worldwide UTC.

(Yes, I consider daylight saving time to be one of the very few of Ben Franklin's ideas that he should have kept to himself!)

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw a blurb on the morning news about how the spring time change - where you lose an hour of sleep - has been found to increase heart attacks in the days following. Lose an hour of sleep...have a heart attack?....hmm, not sure I understand the correlation, but "they" said it was so, so it must be true.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I think everyone in the whole world should sleep naked when Daylight savings time starts. Just think about it. The whole world, united in their naked sleepiness. Yeah. Beautiful.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I think everyone in the whole world should sleep naked when Daylight savings time starts. Just think about it. The whole world, united in their naked sleepiness. Yeah. Beautiful.
    You mean everyone doesn't?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You mean everyone doesn't?
    It might be just you and me so far, but I think I feel a groundswell of support coming.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't find the time changes to be that big of a deal in terms of how it affects me. On the other hand I probably wouldn't care if they did away with the time changes. I guess I don't care either way.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 14 Jan 2013, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  4. Time Travel & Daylight Savings Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11