Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Profanity and its usage

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    bloody wanker!
    Sod off, mate! (Where's oldy or HFH when you need them?)

Quote Originally posted by Rygor
    I do enjoy some comedians who swear (or swore, as the case may be) profusely (George Carlin being an obvious example).
    Remember how Eddie Murphy had a whole hilarious routine where he mocked Bill Cosby for calling him up on the phone and criticising his use of profanity in his act ("...I mean it's not like I just get up here in front of the audience and say 'Sh*t, d*mn, P*ssy! F* you everybody! Good night' and walk off the stage...")

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I don't recall that particular performance but I'll have to look it up now!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I used to swear a lot as a kid. Older brothers and rock music will do that to you, I guess. Actually got in trouble for it a few times. One thing I noticed too is how people seem so much more offended by receiving the one-finger-salute than actually being cussed at. Come to think of it, most of the times I or others around me got seriously in trouble involved "the bird" rather than actual swearing.

Now, in my 20s, I think I tend to limit my swearing to when I'm with friends or when I'm frustrated/pissed off about something (yelling at the computer, yelling at stupid drivers, etc.). Now that I have nephews, I have to watch my language a little bit better. Also, when I'm with my friends and there are respectable ladies or families/children around, I also will be more conscientious about not swearing. Although, sadly, I've seen some people that still have no regard for those kinds of situations.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For me there is little element of morality involved when it comes to profanity, apart from a general notion that we should avoid unnecessarily hurting other people's feelings (and to that end profanity often violates that premise). I don't swear often in front of Junior because I want him to properly acculturate and learn that gratuitous use of profanity is not becoming of polite company. It's really more an issue of manners than anything else.
    Before my life as a planner, I was a high school teacher. I taught the kids a few euphemistic replacements for various curse words, like "firetruck"... however, I realized that those replacement words didn't result in better manners and courtesy. Having a classroom where kids are saying things like, "What the firetruck?!" or "You motherfiretrucker" isn't making progress, since the intent of being rude is still preserved. If anything, I felt like I merely gave the kids permission to curse even more, even if they were "replacement" curse words.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you were on the Carnival Cruise Lines Splendor and the cruise director when you woken up with
    There is thick smoke, thick smoke. We can't see anything. That was when I said a silent 'Oh bugger' ...
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...terstitialskip

I suspect he said 'Oh bugger' for publication but given the circumstances said something else.
    I would have.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    F#<!, when used sparingly and strategically, is still the most powerful word in the English language

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I am Old School. I can curse like a planner in a men's bar, but restrain myself to an 'oh shoot' or 'fudge' in more polite settings. Never direected at a person...well there was that one time in a staff meeting...

Registered
    May 2004
    its just words.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    One day in a general staff meeting at one of my previous jobs the troops were getting rather whiny and had bee for a long time. In general the ex director was a quiet soft spoken man told us all quite loudly that he was not taking this particular issue to the "f**king board, did we understand. That was the end of that.

Same employment, I was working with and individual that was cursing me with ALL the words and calling me everyone of the names she could think of demanding an explicit answer but would not give me time to answer in this explosion of words. She had me backed up to the edge of her porch and I was feeling very trapped. So I yelled back at her "If you would shut the F**K up I would give you an answer" It caught her off guard just enough for me to get past her and say what needed to be said.
    Of course she ran to my boss and tattled on me. I got the, you must be professional speech.
    I don't do things like that lightly but there is a certain time and place where used at the right time can stop and arguement. Not saying all the time...but I still think I had a reason
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The latest is that while talking about carnivorous plants my daughter was embarassed to tell us what she thought was the name of one of them . . .
    the P-n-s Fly Trap. That would be pretty scary.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Another %$#*& ##$*& Maister Thread

Listen you &&%#$@ $%*&*#: This Bear has enjoyed a full life of #%$*&% swearing and isn't about to $&%%#@ stop. Now get back to %#$*&% work!

PS - If I still had my canoe and if Maister lived by a rapid river, I would cruise past his house and do some %%&#$@ %&*#$# cussin'. Michigan folk should know what the $$&# I am talkin' about.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm going to type a bunch of so-called profane words and see what comes up censored.

Dick, Ass, ****, balls, vagina, whore, asshole, mother****er, bitch

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

BUMP THIS THREAD

I am going to bump this thread given some of the language that has been used recently.

Personally, I am opposed to the use of profanity. I have kicked people out of my office for repeated use of profanity towards me. I also think that there are some other words that are not quite profanity but in my eyes fall in the exact same category. I don't think that they should be used on forum boards, or most of the places. My wife has even noticed that I don't swear when I hit my hand with a hammer or do some other injury to myself and there is no one else (or so I think) to hear.

Then we have the NFL and the new prohibition of the racial slur known as the N word. I am not a fan of the new regulation, but if they ban that, they should ban several others too. I think it is ignorant for them to ban the N word, and not the F word. I also think there is a double standard where it is acceptable in modern society for one race to use the N word, but not another race. That is in itself racist as the color of one's skin becomes a factor.

Overall, I don't understand it. Yes, they are just words, but what makes profanity anymore effective at getting a point across than any other word.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'll agree with the NFL thing. If your going to ban one racial slur then you should ban them all. Fair is fair.

I think profanity is just more damned effective because of the f*ing shock value that a person like me would use that word.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I am going to bump this thread given some of the language that has been used recently.

Personally, I am opposed to the use of profanity. I have kicked people out of my office for repeated use of profanity towards me. I also think that there are some other words that are not quite profanity but in my eyes fall in the exact same category. I don't think that they should be used on forum boards, or most of the places. My wife has even noticed that I don't swear when I hit my hand with a hammer or do some other injury to myself and there is no one else (or so I think) to hear.

Then we have the NFL and the new prohibition of the racial slur known as the N word. I am not a fan of the new regulation, but if they ban that, they should ban several others too. I think it is ignorant for them to ban the N word, and not the F word. I also think there is a double standard where it is acceptable in modern society for one race to use the N word, but not another race. That is in itself racist as the color of one's skin becomes a factor.

Overall, I don't understand it. Yes, they are just words, but what makes profanity anymore effective at getting a point across than any other word.
    It's much more effective if you use it appropriately and sparingly. If you use is sparingly, it becomes more powerful when you actually use it.

I swear a lot around my friends and my wife. But my wife swears a lot too. I also grew up as wannabe thug white-boy, listening to NWA, Too Short and Ice T, so that explains a lot.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Are we forgetting the classic George Carlin "7 dirty words" ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Are we forgetting the classic George Carlin "7 dirty words" ?
    Now I think that is an appropriate use! That skit is classic.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I generally curse under my breath towards inanimate objects that don't work correctly.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    . I think it is ignorant for them to ban the N word, and not the F word.
    Why? One is a racial epithet and one isn't.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    NERRRRRRDS!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post

Why? One is a racial epithet and one isn't.
    Because it is a derogatory when one race says it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Nimbys!!!!!!'

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Nimbys!!!!!!'
    I'm picturing a bunch of planners at a frat house in blue shirts chanting "Nimbys!" Somehow you get the role of Ogre with a blue shirt and no sleeves.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Profanity in the workplace
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 24 Dec 2012, 4:28 PM
  2. DHS word usage story
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Mar 2012, 2:17 PM
  3. Replies: 0