Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GI Joe, Barbie, Star Wars and other action figures

Registered
    Feb 2004

GI Joe, Barbie, Star Wars and other action figures

Back in the early 70's my grandfather got angry at my dad because he got my brother and I GI Joe action figures. Well, I call it an action figure, grampa called it a 'doll' and was convinced my father's children would become 'sissies' due to its presence in the household.

Okay I have to ask a question (I had no sisters) - what sorts of 'adventures/imaginations' do girls have when playing with their Barbie/Ken dolls? Did they ever involve tying Barbie up to a homemade parachute and chucking her out the upstairs window or strapping firecrackers around her?

Anyone host charettes where Barbie, Ken, Boba Fett, GI Joe, and Mr. Fluffy had their own respective input/comments concerning various playroom design considerations?
    Last edited by Maister; 31 Oct 2012 at 9:33 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Back in the early 70's my grandfather got angry at my dad because he got my brother and I GI Joe action figures. Well, I call it an action figure, grampa called it a 'doll' and was convinced my father's children would become 'sissies' due to its presence in the household.

Okay I have to ask a question (I had no sisters) - what sorts of 'adventures/imaginations' do girls have when playing with their Barbie/Ken dolls? Did they ever involve tying Barbie up to a homemade parachute and chucking her out the upstairs window or strapping firecrackers around her?

Anyone host charettes where Barbie, Ken, Boba Fett, GI Joe, and Mr. Fluffy had their own respective input/comments concerning various playroom design considerations?
    Not sure how my sister played with them, but did you know that if you strap an M-80 (using duct tape) to Barbie, and sent her into the air with a water balloon launcher, it makes a heck of a mess.

Also if you cover them with peanut butter and toss them over the fence, the neighbors dog will make sure that no one ever hears from Ken again.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    My favorite game with action figures involved building huge spaceships with my Legos, flush with lasers, missiles, etc., and then attacking them with my He-Man figures. I would start out with the "weakest" He-Man figures attacking first, then move on up to my favorites. The He-Man figures typically won. albeit after a long battle that would take all afternoon.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I was a kid I had all sorts of G.I. Joes. These were the smaller ones that were popular in the 1980s. I called them dolls, what do I know though? I had quite a few of them but to this day I only know where one of them is... Leatherneck of course.

I used to like playing with the neighbor girl's My Little Pony set though because she had a My Little Pony house thing with a large pool and I would always make believe there was a storm and tidal wave.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 31 Oct 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    I had a metric crapload of "Star Wars guys" that I played with in the backyard. I had a sandbox, not one of those silly plastic crabs, but built out of landscape timbers. Friends and I would build a big hill and have the Star Wars guys fight or we'd hide our eyes while friends buried them and then have to find them.

I'm sure, years from now, archeologists will find Obi-wan Kenobi buried under the dirt there in what is still my parents' backyard . . . and then complain that he's missing his cape and lightsaber and isn't still in the original packaging.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Transformers were definitely my action figure of choice. Even today, they occasionally release some cool ones I get tempted to buy. Like the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime I got a few years ago was amazing. He's a foot tall and made out of die cast metal; he even has rubber tires.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    When I was kid GI Joe's were 4 inch tall action figures. For me it was GI Joe against the communist juntas that controlled small tropical islands. Why? Because I love America.

The sand box in my back yard contains many cans of hair spray; dismembered GI Joes; melted little green army men and other piles of things that melted when set on fire; and fire works that did not explode.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The sand box in my back yard contains many cans of hair spray; dismembered GI Joes; melted little green army men and other piles of things that melted when set on fire; and fire works that did not explode.
    Well that would certainly explain your Beavis avatar. "Fire! Fire! He he he!"
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I had Barbies and played with them up until middle school. One of the fun parts was dressing them up in various outfits. I also had the horse, a jeep, and the horse trailer. That was a lot of fun.

Oooh, I loved My Little Pony too! A few year's ago my parents made me take the rubbermaid container full of ponies to my house since they were sick of storing them. I still have them in hopes of one day having a child to play with them.

I also had some Transformers that were fun to play with but Barbie and the Ponies got the most action.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I had Barbies and played with them up until middle school. One of the fun parts was dressing them up in various outfits. I also had the horse, a jeep, and the horse trailer. That was a lot of fun.

Oooh, I loved My Little Pony too!
    So what would a typical My little Pony/Barbie entail (i.e. what were the stories)?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My favorite game with action figures involved building huge spaceships with my Legos, flush with lasers, missiles, etc., and then attacking them with my He-Man figures. I would start out with the "weakest" He-Man figures attacking first, then move on up to my favorites. The He-Man figures typically won. albeit after a long battle that would take all afternoon.
    I need to know which He-Man figure you considered the weakest. I always found Ram-Man to be quite a joke, but Lizard-Man also, seriously? They'd have been the first to die for me....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    As a kid I had the GI Joes and a couple of the Johnny West action figures. The GI Joes were the foot-tall ones and were the WWII series -we had American, Japanese and German. For Johnny West, we had Johnny West, Captain Maddox and Chief Cherokee. I remember they tended to take a beating and after a while the action figures became "less than whole". Chief Cherokee lost his left arrm. Johnny West lost his right hand. My favorite was Capt. Maddox because he looked like Robert Conrad and I was a big "Wild, Wild West" fan.

I also had action figures from "The Man From Uncle" series, too. I had both Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin. They weren't as fun to play with because the arms didn't bend at the elbows and the hands didn't hold the guns very well.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had Dawn dolls, not Barbies. Anyone remember them from the '70s?? They were smaller than Barbie and Ken, but it was a similar set, with multiple characters/figures and accessories. I had a Dawn "Beauty Pageant," with a battery-operated runway.

Here's Dawn and her groovy friends.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    One of my brothers is only two years younger than me so we often combined our GI Joes and Barbies while playing. I don’t remember Barbie doing any parachuting but I do recall GI Joes working in the Barbie McDonald’s set. The GI Joes did ride the My Little Ponies on occasion, also. So I guess Barbie brought out Joe’s feminine side.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The GI Joe figures came after my childhood. Back in the day we had those little green army men by the bagful. I appalled my father when I asked him to make me some blocks from 2x4s so I could build forts for them. He thought I was way too old for blocks, but he did do it. I also had an Alamo set of similar guys, complete with a lithographed tinplate Alamo. In about 1962 some of my army men took refuge in a cave excavated into the edge of a playground that was being paved for a parking lot. The next day they were entombed forever when the paving was completed. I could take you to their hiding spot today. Well, maybe not since it is on a real army base and you can't get on. Maybe I'll just show you on Google earth.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Nevre had a GI Joe or any of that stuff. All I had was the little plastic soldiers.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Never had GI Joe but I did have a few HeMan figures and transformers. I was never really that into them, though. I was far more into Legos, radio control cars, and taking things apart to "see how they worked" (pissed my mom off to no end).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 7:42 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 9:26 AM
  3. 'Star Wars' Spoof
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 May 2005, 10:11 PM
  4. Star Wars Kid