Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Retiring & APA-need advice

Retiring & APA-need advice

I am retiring at the end of the year. My employer is offering early retirements. I contacted APA and they have three criteria you must meet in order to be "offically retired' from the profession which are listed below. I am not 65 years old and now I don't know what to do. I have no desire to have to maintain all those credits to continue to be in AICP and no particular desire to pay full-time dues. I am not going back into the profession, I will be teaching developmental algebra at the community college. Any ideas as to what I should do????

VERIFICATION OF RETIRED STATUS
    APA: I am a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners.
    I verify that (check all that apply):
    I am 65 years old or older
    I am completely retired and do not engage in any profession, business, or trade
    (this excludes part-time non-planning or nonprofessional work)
    I have been an active and continuous APA or AICP member for the past 10 or more years
    Name APA ID
    Signature Date
    If I checked all three boxes, I meet the criteria for retirement. Please update my member record to indicate
    that I am retired.
    As a retired member, I understand that I will be exempt from AICP Certification Maintenance (CM) requirements.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Are you asking if you should falsify a document? You either meet the criteria or you do not.

I am in the same boat as you. I am paying my dues and getting my CM credits. I wish there were a category for us but it is not offered. You do have the option of dropping out if you desire. As much as I gripe about APA I am still proud of my AICP and want to keep it up.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I was not aware that you couldn't retire before 65? Is that saying that you cannot be considered a retired planner unless you are 65? That seems pretty unreasonable to me.

So it isn't a meet two of the three? You have to meet all three or you are not considered retired?

When I retire at 32 years service, I will have been a member of APA for 30+ years, and be fully retired. But it won't be till 10 years later that I am 65. This seems extremely stupid. I would send a letter stating your position and how you seem to be part of a gap they didn't consider...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah.....

If AICP won't change the policy to allow you into the retired club, drop AICP and move on to the next phase of your life with no regrets.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

It seems that you have to meet all three criteria to be considered retired by APA. I worked pretty hard to get my AICP and have maintained my credits. I don't want to loose it, although I have no plans to work as a planner in the future for pay. I am going to write them a letter and see if they would be willing to settle for 2 out of 3 and drop the age requirement.

My agency is considering offering early outs again next year as a way to down size the agency without outright riffs. I expect that others may find themselves in the same situation as I am.

Thanks for the advice

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Mar 2010, 9:43 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2009, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2004, 9:14 AM