• It's a fun tradition to do every year

1 2.86%
  • do it most years just to save money

4 11.43%
  • I do it because my SO makes me

1 2.86%
  • I have done it...but don't anymore

1 2.86%
  • given the choice between having to do Blk Fri or an icepick in the foot?...I'm thinking...

5 14.29%
  • why do you hate America?

6 17.14%
  • never even thought about doing it

6 17.14%
  • No, just no.

8 22.86%
  • other (explain below)

3 8.57%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday 2010 thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

Black Friday 2010 thread

It's a Big Deal to some folks. Maybe you're one of those whose family traditions include getting up at 4 a.m. and hitting the stores as soon as you can to get those door buster prizes and big big discounts. Others, like myself, roll their eyes at the mere thought. As far as the ritual itself goes, there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground and it seems either you love or hate Black Friday.

I'm not sure retailers aren't slitting their own throats by emphasizing Black Friday as much as they do. I'll let the economists among us address all the downsides of BF in detail, but generally speaking if a business is going to depend on a single event for a healthy chunk of its' sales they DON'T want to be discounting their products heavily. That and it tends to promote a boom or bust sales environment.

So how about you, do you do Black Fridays?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Have done them a few times. Actually my hubby and I usually have a plan of attack. Get in get done get out.

But looking at the ads this year, I dont think we are going to go. How sad is that?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Never done it, never will.

I have a low tolerance for people as it is, let alone when they're fighting tooth & nail for the last zsu zsu pet.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I thought about answering the choice between to do BF and ice pick to the foot. But I'm married to a fine woman, don't have nor do I want "to do" a boyfriend.

As for Black Friday, I hope to be on the golf course.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No way in hell am I getting to Walmart 16 hours before it opens so I can have the chance to fight someone for the right of buying a crappy Daewoo TV for $50 off!

This is consumerism at its worst. I value my free time and my self respect more than that.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I was in undergrad, I worked retail for a large department store for a few years selling men's dress shirts and neck ties. I actually enjoyed working on Black Friday and our other big days: the day after Christmas and the Saturday before Father's Day (it was crazy in our department while you could hear crickets in the rest of the store). If you were lucky enough to open the store (6:00 a.m. was early for us... none of the 4:00 a.m. stuff!) or work in the middle of the day, things were only absolutely crazy for the first few hours and busy enough the rest of the day to make things go by very fast. The worse though was getting scheduled to close on those big days because after 6:00 or so things slow down but it was always just busy enough to make it so you never get a chance to clean up so you were always stuck working later than scheduled to refold stuff. Plus, the customers who would come in during the evening were a lot grumpier than those who come in first thing in the morning.. probably because they've been at it all day and the thrill is gone.

As a consumer, I sort of like Black Friday. I make absolutely no effort to get up and go to the stores super early but I do sort of enjoy going and people watching just because there are so many people out that there's always something interesting to see. The apartment that my wife and I used to live in was about a block away from an extremely large metro-Detroit mall with everything from ultra high end stores like Saks and Gucci to stores for the rest of us mortals like American Eagle and Forever 21. On Black Friday I used to walk to the mall and wander around for a bit and walk home because my wife used to have to work for a few hours in the morning that day (at her old job, if the markets and/or banks were open, she had to work) so I needed to do something to occupy my time. Now that we don't live within walking distance of the mall though, I avoid it and the parking lots like the plague for at least a week into December.

I used to work with a girl at my current job (girl? she was like 32 or something) who loved Black Friday and, along with her sister-in-law, would have a whole game plan set up that included starting at the big box stores and then to a large outlet center just north of Flint, Michigan before dawn, eating lunch back in metro Detroit and then hitting up one of the malls in this area in the afternoon.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    don't have nor do I want "to do" a boyfriend.
    Good to know that I wasn't the only one who was temporarily thrown by the "do BF" option.

As to Black Friday, No Way, No Way, No F*ing Way! Why waste a perfectly good day?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I used to work with a girl at my current job (girl? she was like 32 or something) who loved Black Friday and, along with her sister-in-law, would have a whole game plan set up that included starting at the big box stores and then to a large outlet center just north of Flint, Michigan .
    Ah, good ol' Birch Run.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't shop on normal days, why would I on a day where people are even more stupid, rude, and greedy than any other in the year?

I think that I would take an ice pick to my foot, as long as it pins me down so I don't have to go shopping.

I am lucky though, as my wife almost always works holidays, so I don't have to worry about her trying to "persuade" (tell) me to go.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I don't shop on normal days, why would I on a day where people are even more stupid, rude, and greedy than any other in the year?
    Exactly! I don't like shopping, to the point where my husband literally has to push me to go buy some new clothes if I complain that I have nothing to wear. And I only have a handful of gifts to buy, all for adults who probably have more stuff than they need anyway, so I have to be creative.

Black Friday is a nice quiet day as long as I refrain from driving anywhere.

I did once with my aunt and uncle up in NW Indiana, but that was it. My ex and I never did, tho she did christmas shopping the whole year.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    I selected it's a fun tradition to do every year. That being said, I've never done it myself. My wife does some years, some not. Obviously, if you don't like shopping, you're not going to enjoy it. But I do see the fun in it. I get the impression there's a sort of camaraderie among the shoppers, outside of the few rude idiots.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never would go close to a store on Black Friday, except for the years when I worked in one. Mrs. Cardinal and her mother are very much into it, so I have been dragged out the last 2-3 years. This year I am looking forward to one stop. REI is giving $20 gift cards to the first 150 shoppers. They open at 8 AM.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

I'm going to bite the bullet this year and get a new TV this Friday AM.....I know.....I'm a sell out.....just don't ask what store I'll be buying it from......I'll have to return my planning degree

Also: Brocktoon, can I have my man card back? I've been drinking more beer and watching a ton of sports lately
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'm going to bite the bullet this year and get a new TV this Friday AM.....I know.....I'm a sell out.....just don't ask what store I'll be buying it from......I'll have to return my planning degree
    Probably the same nameless store that was the only one in the area a few years ago with a Wii in stock when I wanted to buy one.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Also: Brocktoon, can I have my man card back? I've been drinking more beer and watching a ton of sports lately
    Isn't that deal available online at evilempire.com.org/death ?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Black Friday=Buy Nothing Day for me.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    The ladies in my family go out every year and shop on Black Friday, its fun, we all hit some the early early deals then eat breakfast at like 10AM at a local diner. I got a great deal on a patio heater for my parents a few years back on Black Friday at Home Depot...a nice gentleman even helped me load it in my car.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Buy Nothing Day = when people try and boycott gas stations on a particular day. Epic fails.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2010
    No need for Black Friday. Santa is bringing me all my desired gifts and wishes this year, including the knock-off of the knock-off ipad. Good thing I live in house with a chimney. Feel bad for those kids in apartments that don't have one.

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Buy Nothing Day = when people try and boycott gas stations on a particular day. Epic fails.
    I agree tho I joined it as well. Considering I'll be on vacation, I'll buy something, just not Christmas crap.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Normally because it is few who feel this way, but they are the loudest.... hmm seems to parallel our political system....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    [sarcasm] While I would love to be out there amidst the consumer chaos, the Fates say it shall not be.[/sarcasm]

I have to be at work. And thankfully, at that.

I'm surpised it's not a mandatory holiday here, though. Much of our town budget is based on the local portion of sales tax revenues.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I will be spending Black Friday at the salon getting pampered. I have never shopped on BF, though I suppose I would if I had something to buy. I am trying to ween my family off of gift giving and to convince them that taking a family vacation together would be money much more wisely spent. Buy memories and experiences we can all share instead of traditional gifts.

Of course, that will all change as soon as I have children I am sure. The prospects of convincing my parents or my in-laws not to buy a bunch of gifts for the kids .... well I'm sure you all know how hard that would be.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2011, 12:05 AM
  2. 2010 Resolutions Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Nov 2011, 9:12 PM
  3. 2010 Garden Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 183