Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Require replats/lot consolidation?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Require replats/lot consolidation?

So, in my time as a professional planner I have worked for municipalities that required the replating or consolidation of existing lots or parcels when used for one unified development. I also worked in one muni that didn't require replatting/consolidation.

Example: the auto dealer wants to expand and bought the old restaurant site next door for an expanded building and display/parking lot. Do you require they replat the two lots into one lot or can they just build across the lot lines under the concept of "zoning lot"?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Where I worked we allowed the concept of a zoning lot.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If a business buys a lot but doesn't build anything on it we don't require anything. If they intent to build across the property line then we require an affidavit of non-severability. Basically this joins two separate parcels into one without having an attorney rewrite two legal descriptions into one legal description. The Country Recorder appreciates this.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by estromberg View post
    Where I worked we allowed the concept of a zoning lot.
    Same in all the towns I have worked. It does get interesting when the tax map and perhaps deed ends up with "the western one-half of lot 7, all of lot 6, and the eastern 17.5 feet of lot 8." To keep it all straight you have two maps: the original subdivision plat, and a tax parcel map. Try to explain that to the general citizenry.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We do not allow construction on parcel lines. We do allow building up to the parcel line, so theoretically you could build on top of the line. Building regulations requires fire walls for any lot line... which makes construction on top of such lines financially impossible though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No "zoning lots" here. We would require the lots to be combined.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Here splits have to be approved by city council, but recombos don't.

One I know of was recombo'd by the surveyor after building across lot lines (for as-built), but don't know if it was recorded. Property changed hands, but don't know if description was a prob. It should have been brought to me for approval, but the court of record hasn't sent anyone my way.

Repalt 2 lots into one with approval by P & Z

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I've worked for three municipalities, none of them had the concept of "zoning lots". We would have to require the lot consolidation, though in Utah we can do it through a simple zoning letter accompanying survey work and quit claim deeds. No true re-platting is necessary.

From what I've read, I think in a city like the one I currently work for "zoning lot" concept would be helpful.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    We don't do the "zoning lot" We would require the lots to be combined, which is an administrative process.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. City-County Consolidation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Sep 2011, 11:18 PM
  2. Local Government Consolidation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Feb 2010, 9:08 PM
  3. Student loan consolidation
    Student Commons