Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Am I qualified for grad school or wasting my time?

Registered
    Nov 2010

Am I qualified for grad school or wasting my time?

Hey Folks,

I know this is a pretty lame question, but I am curious what my chances are of getting into the Ryerson grad program for planning.
    I'm still on the fence about applying, but hopefully getting some feedback will help guide my choice (and potentially avoid wasting $100)

I have an undergrad from UofT in Environmental Management, and Criminology, with a minor in Sociology
    I'm an intern with the Town of Oakville in the Environmental Policy Department, and I've worked as an Alternative Transportation Coordinator with the UofT Sustainability Department for one summer.
    My GPA the last 2years is 79%
    have experience with GIS, working with Mississauga Transit, and taken courses in Transportation and Urban Planning.

I am pretty set on the Ryerson education because I am sick of UofT's lame theoretical background. I really want to gain some applicable skills!

Thanks for the help!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    I was kind of in the same boat two years ago. Graduated with an Honours Geography degree from UWO and applied to Ryerson's Masters of Urban Development program with about a 77% average and no related work experience. That was when the program was relatively new and I thought I may have a chance. I applied late and was put on a waiting list...and ultimately denied...which was dissapointing. I found a job with a planning and consulting firm in my area and have worked in planning for nearly two years. I am applying to a few schools this time around. I digress...but I think you'll definitely get a look. I definitely don't think its a waste of time. If it doesn't work out at least you become familiar with the entire process. Questions like these (from my experience) don't get a lot of responses so consider yourself lucky...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Apply. You'll be surprised. My GPA was slightly higher than yours, but I had no planning working experience whatsoever. I still got offers from McGill and Queen's (2008).

Personally, I think it is your statement of purpose that is the real deal clincher. I also had colleagues who applied that summer and were still accepted into the program. Keep in mind that many planning programs are trying to cram as many students as they can get away with into their classes. People drop offers, people drop out and a surprisingly large number of spaces open up.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I appreciate the insight/advice!

I bit the bullet and applied -- well.. i paid the fee..still yet to actually submit my statement and CV.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Costumeparty,

I am a second-year student in the program right now. I can say with some certainty that you have a great chance of being accepted into the program. As previously mentioned, your statement of intent plays a significant part in defining the strength of your overall application.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Goldeneye.

I had a different situation occur today where a professor got upset at with me because I am applying to Ryerson,but not UofT. I wasn't convinced my GPA was strong enough, but he said it was, and cause i went to UofT already - they will look at me favourably.

I'am curious - is this true?
    If so, then I am inclined to apply...

I am also inclined to apply since I have 2 references who teach at the masters program and know me and will be my reference, and one previous employer who is already in that program...

Thanks for the thoughts!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Why further consider UoT if it is not going to offer you the education you want?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 1:53 AM
  3. Part time work during grad school
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2006, 10:56 PM
  4. Time Wasting
    Friday Afternoon Club