Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Route analyst test help

Registered
    Jul 2008

Route analyst test help

Hello, everyone...I'm being called in to be tested for a position as a Route Analyst for our regional transit authority (position summary below).

The lady said that I would be tested for my reading/math/spelling skills, which is straight forward. She also said I'd undergo a 'technical' test, although she doesn't think it'll involve any specialized software (but she's getting back to me on that tomorrow).

Does anyone who may work in a related capacity (Transportation Planner or similar) have any ideas or advice as to what I should expect and how best to prepare for the technical part of the test?

Thanks to everyone for their input!

-------------------------------------------------
    Metrolinx, an agency of the Government of Ontario, and its operating division, GO Transit, have a vision to bring about an integrated, customer-focused transportation system that enhances prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).

GO Transitís Bus Operations Planning Office is seeking a Route Analyst to support the planning and scheduling function of Bus Operations by:

 providing field ridership and service observations, as well as administrative support services
     recording various data with respect to ridership and schedule adherence;
     reporting field observation on routing guide discrepancies, deficiencies in bus stops/shelters and on-route
    conditions, and feedback from drivers or passengers on service concerns;
     compiling and inputting ridership data and providing various reports;
     confirming accessible stop locations and maintaining a database on related information.

This position involves reporting to various work locations and working varying shifts, including split shifts and off days, on short notice.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My guess is that the "technical test", if it's not using specialized software, will require you to assess some ridership and/or route information and provide a summary of the data e.g. they give you a print out of ridership for a specific route and some basic planning assumptions and ask you to tell them things like:

- where the peak load point on the route is
    - what the peak hour ridership is
    - How close the route might be to capacity
    - identify some obvious error in the data and what might be causing it

They could also show you some pictures of a bus stop and ask you to identify what might be wrong/need improvement.

The above are just guesses, based on what I would probably ask.

Registered
    Jul 2008

Thank you

Thanks so much, TransPlanner...this makes a lot of sense...I'll make sure I have these concepts thought through in my mind...

...and actually I think the lady did mention it might involve Excel, so that further seems to suggest that you're likely right!

Registered
    Jul 2008

Test over

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    My guess is that the "technical test", if it's not using specialized software, will require you to assess some ridership and/or route information and provide a summary of the data e.g. they give you a print out of ridership for a specific route and some basic planning assumptions and ask you to tell them things like:

- where the peak load point on the route is
    - what the peak hour ridership is
    - How close the route might be to capacity
    - identify some obvious error in the data and what might be causing it

They could also show you some pictures of a bus stop and ask you to identify what might be wrong/need improvement.

The above are just guesses, based on what I would probably ask.
    Just to give you an update (in case anyone else ever needs this) on the actual tests.

First was math, which was actually pretty easy, except I had to stop and think for a couple of them.

Then it was reading comprehension...this was actually tricky...read 'very carefully'.

Then was spelling...again tricky...MS Word has made us all way too lazy!

Then there was the technical questions, both Excel based. The first was a general Excel question (using functions/formulas)...you better know Excel well!

The last Excel question was a transit question, namely:

"The agency has received numerous complaints about Route 066 arriving late at some of the stops...review the route data and offer a recommendation".

This was how I answered it.

The data showed that there was one stop where a handicap person was being picked up and the difference between the arrival time and departure time was 17 minutes (most other stops averaged 1/2 minutes). I suggested that they dedicate a wheel transit option for this stop/person as the delay here seemed to be the source of the problem for subsuquent stops.

Not sure if this is right...TransPlanner...what do you think?

Anyhow hope this helps anyone else out there who might one day face this.

I can't believe after I left I realized I totally forgot to make a chart from the first Excel question and that was SO easy...it would have taken me 30 seconds to do! Hopefully I did okay on the rest and they'll see that I really know my Excel despite this oversight (I hope!).

Wish me luck folks! I would LOVE to get this job!

Quote Originally posted by Danielinthecity View post
    Just to give you an update (in case anyone else ever needs this) on the actual tests.

First was math, which was actually pretty easy, except I had to stop and think for a couple of them.

Then it was reading comprehension...this was actually tricky...read 'very carefully'.

Then was spelling...again tricky...MS Word has made us all way too lazy!

Then there was the technical questions, both Excel based. The first was a general Excel question (using functions/formulas)...you better know Excel well!

The last Excel question was a transit question, namely:

"The agency has received numerous complaints about Route 066 arriving late at some of the stops...review the route data and offer a recommendation".

This was how I answered it.

The data showed that there was one stop where a handicap person was being picked up and the difference between the arrival time and departure time was 17 minutes (most other stops averaged 1/2 minutes). I suggested that they dedicate a wheel transit option for this stop/person as the delay here seemed to be the source of the problem for subsuquent stops.

Not sure if this is right...TransPlanner...what do you think?

Anyhow hope this helps anyone else out there who might one day face this.

I can't believe after I left I realized I totally forgot to make a chart from the first Excel question and that was SO easy...it would have taken me 30 seconds to do! Hopefully I did okay on the rest and they'll see that I really know my Excel despite this oversight (I hope!).

Wish me luck folks! I would LOVE to get this job!
    Hi Danielinthecity,

I just want to ask you if you could give me some advice on what to study for Excel test (pivot table, vlookup, etc) ? How about MS Word, did you take that test as well?Was it hard like Excel? I just needed this job so badly.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Registered
    Jul 2008

Late, but...

Hi, Tryout...sorry...I haven't been online in a long while...do you still need an answer to this question?

Daniel.

Registered
    Nov 2012

Transportation Scheduler at Metrolinx

Danielinthecity,

Did you ever get the position with Go Transit/Metrolinx?

I have a technical test this coming Friday for Transportation Scheduler at Metrolinx and have found your post extremely helpful.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Registered
    Apr 2013
    Hi Kyle,

Could you recall what excel features you were tested on, for the test? I'd appreciate the help!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interview for route analyst
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Dec 2010, 9:35 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Jan 2010, 1:20 PM
  3. Bus/Light rail route planning
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Jan 2007, 9:36 AM