Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Other Towns (not in the Top 100)

Registered
    Jan 2005

Other Towns (not in the Top 100)

It seems that CNN has their own list...
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/15...ion/?hpt=hp_c2

But I am sure we can do better.
    Quote Originally posted by CNN
    ..we're checking the map and looking at a few other cities you may - or may not - want to consider.
    So let me start:

Half.com, Oregon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfway,_Oregon
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There is a town on that 100 list that I won't name because a Cyb lives there and might be offended when I say "It's nothing but one big sprawling-ass suburb". How in hell it made that list is beyond me.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I looked at the Top 100 list for 2011 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...100/index.html), and there are four places in IL, all located in Chicago's western suburbs. Two I can see...Glen Ellyn and Oswego (but only barely). But South Elgin...really? I would rank almost every Fox River Valley suburb above this place. It's decent...but it's not cream of the crop. The tri-cities (St. Charles, Geneva, and Batavia) are all better, and so are Algonquin and West Dundee, farther north.

And Carol Stream is the best-ranked Chicago suburb? How the hell did that happen? Their commercial tax base is so weak that their cops are out like nazis with checkpoints on North Avenue (the main six-lane thoroughfare) every weekend, to try to raise revenue through tickets, as they don't have enough revenue from sales taxes, due to the lack of retail in the town (other than the absolute basics like grocery stores). Also, the bulk of the housing stock is cheap suburban homes from the 70s & 80s and they have no real downtown. They had to create a "town center" instead, which is nothing to write home about whatsoever. The place has a large industrial park, but so do a lot of places that are much nicer.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I looked at the Top 100 list for 2011 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...100/index.html), and there are four places in IL, all located in Chicago's western suburbs. Two I can see...Glen Ellyn and Oswego (but only barely). But South Elgin...really? I would rank almost every Fox River Valley suburb above this place. It's decent...but it's not cream of the crop. The tri-cities (St. Charles, Geneva, and Batavia) are all better, and so are Algonquin and West Dundee, farther north.

And Carol Stream is the best-ranked Chicago suburb? How the hell did that happen? Their commercial tax base is so weak that their cops are out like nazis with checkpoints on North Avenue (the main six-lane thoroughfare) every weekend, to try to raise revenue through tickets, as they don't have enough revenue from sales taxes, due to the lack of retail in the town (other than the absolute basics like grocery stores). Also, the bulk of the housing stock is cheap suburban homes from the 70s & 80s and they have no real downtown. They had to create a "town center" instead, which is nothing to write home about whatsoever. The place has a large industrial park, but so do a lot of places that are much nicer.
    They just have a certain formula they use and purely look at a few certain sets of numbers. I'd imagine home prices have something to do with that which would probably eliminate the Lake Forests and Winnetkas but also exclude the cheapest suburbs which are generally going to have poor schools and higher crime.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

Chicago Magazine did a ranking of the best suburbs to live in a while ago and I remember that it was a much better list. Elmhurst was judged to be the best place to live based on a number of factors, which is incidentally where I'm from.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I saw that list...the southeast USA was pretty much ignored and my fast growing state did not get one city on the list! The cities in FL are both Orlando burbs but Hunter Creek's isn't even a 'place' its a bunch of subdivision and strip malls in Orange County!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    New Jersey has 5 towns on the list...I will agree with two of them. The others are decent places but nothing spectacular.

#17 Montville-It's nice, it's affluent, but it's a 'burb full of people that commute to NYC or work for pharma. It has no downtown. (disagree)

#22 South Brunswick-This is near where I live but I would characterize it as sprawlicious with strip malls and empty spaces everywhere. There is no downtown or central business district and connectivity to anything else sucks. (disagree)

#26 Ridgwood-Nice community, fairly affluent, great downtown and transportation connection, many NYC commuters. (agree)

#33 Madison-Also affluent, great community, interesting history, and there's always something to do there.

#53 Hillsborough-This isn't too far from where I live and it's nice but it's pretty rural in character, has plenty of open space, but is also located near some of the most congested roads in the area. Curiously it gets a nod for being near Princeton where the employment and cultural activities are....I would give Princeton the nod over Hillsborough any day. (disagree)
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I saw that list...the southeast USA was pretty much ignored and my fast growing state did not get one city on the list! The cities in FL are both Orlando burbs but Hunter Creek's isn't even a 'place' its a bunch of subdivision and strip malls in Orange County!
    That was my problem with the other place mentioned. I don't know Hunters Creek but Winter Springs is nothing but a bunch of suburbs with a faux city center, built just a few years ago (It's a grocery store and a strip mall ;town center my ass).

Where's Mt Dora? New Smyrna Beach?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I wouldn't live in the cities listed for California if you paid me.

Walnut, CA, are you flippin' kidding me? Did they give extra points for having a high per capita number of gang members???

That list pretty much is worth the paper it's printed on (and it's not printed on paper ).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    That was my problem with the other place mentioned. I don't know Hunters Creek but Winter Springs is nothing but a bunch of suburbs with a faux city center, built just a few years ago (It's a grocery store and a strip mall ;town center my ass).

Where's Mt Dora? New Smyrna Beach?
    My list is pretty short for places I'd actually move back to Florida to live in, first off, there are WAY better orlando-burbs including Winter Park and I can think of several others better than Winter Springs! Hunter's Creek isn't even a real place! Second, St. Augustine, Gainesville, Fernandina Beach...all way better. I also like Mt. Dora and Deland.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Where's Mt Dora?
    Next to Diego Peak?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Next to Diego Peak?
    Actually Mt. Dora is well known for antiques...you would probably really like it!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Actually Mt. Dora is well known for antiques...you would probably really like it!
    What is that supposed to mean? You think I am an antiquer? I like old stuff? I collect junk? Huh, huh?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Not a single nod to ME or VT.
    Five to CT?

Do they even bother to explain their formulas or methodology?

I liked the first CNN article though. Wish they had a few more examples.

ETA: Are 9 of the top 11 cleanest air communities really in NJ? No offense intended to the NJites here, but that is interesting given what I think are national perceptions of the state.
    Last edited by ThePinkPlanner; 18 Aug 2011 at 1:57 PM. Reason: additional text

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My list is pretty short for places I'd actually move back to Florida to live in, first off, there are WAY better orlando-burbs including Winter Park and I can think of several others better than Winter Springs! Hunter's Creek isn't even a real place! Second, St. Augustine, Gainesville, Fernandina Beach...all way better. I also like Mt. Dora and Deland.
    Ah, Winter Park; where I grew up! I'd give anything to drag RJ's butt down there to live. I'm sure it's too big for the "small-town" poll, but it's sweet.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The picture of no. 95 on that list was taken in MY central city.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    Not a single nod to ME or VT.
    Five to CT?

Do they even bother to explain their formulas or methodology?

I liked the first CNN article though. Wish they had a few more examples.

ETA: Are 9 of the top 11 cleanest air communities really in NJ? No offense intended to the NJites here, but that is interesting given what I think are national perceptions of the state.
    They are essentially in the boondocks. Lumberton, Marlton, Evesham, Mt. Laurel, and Medford are all within a couple of miles of each other.

Cinnaminson, Delran, and Moorestown are all in the same vicinity but they are more like suburbs of Philly. I would think their air quality wouldn't be as good as the others, but I guess it depends on how the wind generally blows.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I'd take my life if I had to live in any of these places. It just tells me that CNN Money is not worth reading.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Company towns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 11 Oct 2013, 9:26 AM
  2. Halfway towns
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Mar 2009, 3:32 PM
  3. Ugly towns
    Cities and Places