Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Census 2010

All of the four largest cities in California grew over the past ten years, each representing their largest population ever. To quote the census release:

Data for California show that the five most populous incorporated places and their 2010 Census counts are Los Angeles, 3,792,621; San Diego, 1,307,402; San Jose, 945,942; San Francisco, 805,235; and Fresno, 494,665. Los Angeles grew by 2.6 percent since the 2000 Census. San Diego grew by 6.9 percent, San Jose grew by 5.7 percent, San Francisco grew by 3.7 percent, and Fresno grew by 15.7 percent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    New Orleans
    484,674 in 2000
    343,829 in 2010

That's a bit sobering. 39% went away and stayed away.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My fair township of Piscataway, NJ has undergone some changes...

Population '00: 50,482
    Population '10: 56,044

Race '00: White-48.8%, Black-20.3%, Asian-24.8%, Hispanic-7.9%
    Race '10: White-38.5%, Black-20.7%, Asian-33.3%, Hispanic-11.2%

Other cities around mine....

Woodbridge

Population '00: 97,203
    Population '10: 99, 585

Race '00: White-70.8%, Black-8.8%, Asian-14.5%, Hispanic-9.2%
    Race '10: White-59.2%, Black-9.9%, Asian-22.4%, Hispanic-15.6%

Edison

Population '00: 97,687
    Population '10: 99,967

Race '00: White-59.5%, Black-6.9%, Asian-29.3%, Hispanic-6.4%
    Race '10: White-44.1%, Black-7.0%, Asian-43.2%, Hispanic-8.1%

New Brunswick

Population '00: 48,573
    Population '10: 55,181

Race '00: White-48.8%, Black-23.0%, Asian-5.3%, Hispanic-39.0%
    Race '10: White-45.4%, Black-16.0%, Asian-7.6%, Hispanic-49.4%

And the county...

Middlesex County

Population '00: 750,162
    Population '10: 809,858

Race '00: White-68.4%, Black-9.1%, Asian-13.9%, Hispanic-13.6%
    Race '10: White-49.2%, Black-8.8%, Asian-21.3%, Hispanic-18.4%
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2009
    KJ - I know it says you're wishing you were in Asia somewhere. Well, by those population numbers, it looks like you're at least getting closer!

But really, those are some big jumps in Asian population. What accounts for it? More international students at Rutgers? Large influx of Asian immigrants to the area? Just curious.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    KJ - I know it says you're wishing you were in Asia somewhere. Well, by those population numbers, it looks like you're at least getting closer!

But really, those are some big jumps in Asian population. What accounts for it? More international students at Rutgers? Large influx of Asian immigrants to the area? Just curious.
    Actually it's not Rutgers but the university is the #1 school in terms of diversity. Edison is basically the geographic center of Indian/South Asian immigration for the state. It's well known for Oak Tree Road which has been bought up by Indians/South Asians and turned into a Indian shopping district if you will. There's a pretty large Chinese and Korean contingent as well. The surrounding townships like mine have seen a spillover effect. Property values are high, the schools are good, the population is well educated (45% of my town has a bachelor's degree+), and it's a decent place to commute from. I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to live in such a diverse place and that RT has been able to go through the last 5 years of school in a very culturally diverse school.

New Brunswick (home to Rutgers) is a bit of an anomaly because when you see it you would consider it to be a small urban city based on its physical characteristics. It's home to a lot of large employers-Johnson & Johnson, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, University of Medicine & Dentistry NJ, and Rutgers University, but many of the people that work for those employers do not live in the city. The Hispanic/Latino population has surged over the past decade to almost half which you can really see in the SW area of the city on the French Street & Livingston Avenue corridors.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    2pm today for Ohio.... oh oh oh, how I am excited

We will see if they make it on time.... I doubt it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I spent the most of the afternoon in a presentation regarding re-districting predictions for the State of Michigan and who's congressional seat will likely be lost. This could get interesting!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    We will see if they make it on time.... I doubt it.
    2:30 for American Fact Finder data. I don't like the new American Fact Finder. I also don't understand how the Census can't format this stuff to excel....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    2:30 for American Fact Finder data. I don't like the new American Fact Finder. I also don't understand how the Census can't format this stuff to excel....
    I played around with it this morning, it's wonky for sure and also because the data is being issued in fits and starts it makes it more difficult. It feels like it will be more functional once all the data is released.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear resides in a bedroom suburb of Toledo, OH. My estimate for Toledo's population is 286,000. That is a significant drop since the last census but not nearly as significant in percentage as some other rust-belt central core cities. My estimate for the Toledo Metro is a small increase. Toledo is one of the few mid-sized USA cities to have a high population percentage in the core city, so "The Glass City" will show a core city population near or greater than some major cities, such as Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cincinnati.
    The Great Karnak does it again! Toledo finished with 287,208. Missed it by less than the population of my high school.

The numbers for Metro Toledo prove the obvious: Toledo's shrinkage (8.4%) is the suburbs gain. Inner-ring suburbs had some loss or small gains. Outer ring suburbs had significant growth. Details.....

Toledo 287,208 (-8.4%)

Inner-Ring Suburbs
    Oregon 20,291 (+4.8%)
    Northwood 5,265 (-3.8%)
    Maumee 14,286 (-6.2%) (Landlocked suburb)
    Rossford 6,293 (-1.8%)
    Ottawa Hills 4,517 (-1.0%) (Landlocked suburb)
    Sylvania 18,965 (1.6%)

Outer-Ring Suburbs
    Perrysburg 20,623 (+21.7%)
    Whitehouse 4,149 (+51.8%)
    Wateville 5,523 (+14.4%)
    Holland 1,764 (+35.1%)
    Sylvania Township 48,487 (+9.6%)
    Springfield Township 26,193 (+8.6%)
    Monclova Township 12,400 (+83.2%)
    Waterville Township 11,336 (+19.7%)

Bedroom Suburb
    Swanton 3,690 (+11.6%)

Bedford Township, MI is directly adjacent to Toledo. Numbers are not in yet.
    _____

Other census thoughts.....

I am guessing that Toledo will rank about 100th on the list of largest U.S. cities. It is probably a reasonable assumption, also, that the expected big numbers in the southwest are influenced by large Latino families. Inner-ring suburbs, such as Maumee (listed above) are land-locked and the family size is shrinking.

Census stuff is fun.

Bear
    The Great Karnak
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    From where I sit I can't see how Detroit isn't 15 percent smaller. There are a lot more abandoned areas. These more than make up for any new development that has taken place in the area surrounding the CBD. On my block alone there are probably about 15 vacant homes out of 40. These were full in 2000. My neighborhood is considered one of the better ones!

I am sure that most suburbs have shrunk too. Therefore I can't see anyone wanting to decrease thier numbers. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    According to the Detroit numbers released today, it looks like I was way off but you didn't fare much better. Detroit is now pegged at 713,777 which is 25% lower than the 2000 Census had the city. Interesting to say the least.

http://detnews.com/article/20110322/...lls-to-713-000
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    According to the Detroit numbers released today, it looks like I was way off but you didn't fare much better. Detroit is now pegged at 713,777 which is 25% lower than the 2000 Census had the city. Interesting to say the least.

http://detnews.com/article/20110322/...lls-to-713-000
    I read the freep article, Brooks is happy that Oakland remained level, though I am sure many parts of the County have much lower population than they had 10 years ago. It confirms what I have been thinking for the last sveral years. Its like July, we've had some rough sledding weather around here.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    My fair township of Piscataway, NJ has undergone some changes...

Population '00: 50,482
    Population '10: 56,044

Race '00: White-48.8%, Black-20.3%, Asian-24.8%, Hispanic-7.9%
    Race '10: White-38.5%, Black-20.7%, Asian-33.3%, Hispanic-11.2%

+++++++
    New Brunswick

Population '00: 48,573
    Population '10: 55,181

Race '00: White-48.8%, Black-23.0%, Asian-5.3%, Hispanic-39.0%
    Race '10: White-45.4%, Black-16.0%, Asian-7.6%, Hispanic-49.4%

And the county...

Middlesex County

Population '00: 750,162
    Population '10: 809,858

Race '00: White-68.4%, Black-9.1%, Asian-13.9%, Hispanic-13.6%
    Race '10: White-49.2%, Black-8.8%, Asian-21.3%, Hispanic-18.4%
    How were you able to get this specific information from smaller towns? I'm having a hard time navigating through the census. I'm looking for demographics broken down by County, then city, then township. I have a PDF that breaks down everything for the 2000 Census, but cannot find the same thing for 2010.

American Factfinder is going to be a major bummer for years!

Boston grew in population, as did the other major cities in the state: Worcester, Springfield, Framingham and Cambridge.

The population losses were on Cape Cod and in the far west.

The Boston Globe has some great maps here:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...?p1=News_links

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    How were you able to get this specific information from smaller towns? I'm having a hard time navigating through the census. I'm looking for demographics broken down by County, then city, then township. I have a PDF that breaks down everything for the 2000 Census, but cannot find the same thing for 2010.
    I don't think they have put much of the actual information out on FactFinder2 yet. In the meantime, you can go here: http://2010.census.gov/news/releases...cb11-cn15.html, click on the "Custom Tables" link in the Release Information on the right hand side and go to worksheet 5 within the Excel download.

-----------------------------------------------
    I know that the ACS and the Decennial Census are not the same thing at all but I just went back and looked at some of the estimates for the City of Detroit regarding demographics from the 2007 - 2009 and 2005 - 2009 ACS and then the 2010 Census... Wow! There are some huge differences. Yes, the ACS is just an estimate but this really either makes their margin of error look pretty suspect or calls in to question the usefulness of multi-year period estimates.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Gary Gary Gary.......

Another depressing bit of news for Gary Indiana:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-revival_n.htm

I guess reinvigerating neighborhoods means tearing down buildings.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2011

Census 2010

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    My experience with American Fact Finder 2 eventually concluded with a new record for the number of f-bombs in a single sentence. I'm not sure I've ever been so frustrated with a database program.
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Anybody else on here hate the new American Fact Finder site?
    We're trying to compile a list of complaints at <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/census>. If you have some, send them.

The most immediate concern is the pending elimination of the custom mapping feature from the 2000 legacy version, which allows any user to obtain census maps with a choice of scale, center, boundaries, and features in different colors. (If you want free maps showing or hiding blocks, townships, school districts, legislative districts, zip codes, etc., you'd better get them quickly.)

How much pressure would be necessary to make the Census Bureau change its mind and keep the custom mapping page available to the public?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Mar 2013, 12:43 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Apr 2010, 8:19 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 9:02 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2009, 11:30 PM