Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dear indie coffee shops: please fix your wi-fi. Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Dear indie coffee shops: please fix your wi-fi. Thanks.

Oh, independent coffee shops, enticing me with your locally roasted organic, fair-trade, free range coffee, thrift store furnishings, heavily tattooed baristas, piles of weekly alternative newspapers, bad paintings from art students for sale on the walls, and offers of free wi-fi. Sure, you'll get a signal, but what's going to be at the other end? More likely than not, nothing, because the wireless router isn't connected to the Internet, and either nobody knows how to reboot it, or when they do, it still can't connect. Better yet, there's password protection, but nobody knows the password.

"I think it might be the owner's last name."
    "Well, what is it?"
    "Brzenczyszczykiewicz. I don't know how to spell it, though, or if it's case sensitive. I think there might be a 5 for the S. Good luck!"

That high-powered wi-fi signal, so close, but with that little padlock icon, so far away.

Indie coffeeehop owners, fix your damn wi-fi. Thanks.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I stumbled across one of these a couple years ago and found it to be very unpleasant. The coffee shop is a destination because of the ambiance it provides. I enjoy sitting at a table, sipping a cappacino and eating some pastry while I read or write. I also use coffee shops as a place to meet and conduct business. If I wanted uncomfortable and not conducive to working, I would be better off going to McDonald's. I suspect many other people are like me, in that they go to the coffee shop as a means of getting away from the home/office, rather than for the coffee and food. If it is not a nice place to visit, then I am not likely to go.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I stumbled across one of these a couple years ago and found it to be very unpleasant. The coffee shop is a destination because of the ambiance it provides. I enjoy sitting at a table, sipping a cappacino and eating some pastry while I read or write. I also use coffee shops as a place to meet and conduct business. If I wanted uncomfortable and not conducive to working, I would be better off going to McDonald's. I suspect many other people are like me, in that they go to the coffee shop as a means of getting away from the home/office, rather than for the coffee and food. If it is not a nice place to visit, then I am not likely to go.
    I am a little on the fence about the wifi vs no wifi coffee houses, perhaps because I live in a university area. I hate that 7/10 times that I go to my local Starbucks that I can't find a seat because the whole place is filled with people on their laptops either working or studying with no signs of vacating any time soon. Panera at least limits wifi access to 30 minutes during peak hours so it turns over a bit faster and they have more seating. Other than that my choices are McD's or DD.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I like the idea of a coffee bar versus a coffee shop, like one of the guys in the article, it reminds me of the months I spent in Italy a few years back. I think the coffee shop is definitely an American incarnation and I can see a niche for both the bar concept and the traditional coffee shop. I don't think a coffee bar would work in a suburban strip mall or in an out-lot in the middle of acres of parking lot at a mall but definitely in a busy downtown, near a bustling college campus or area with lots of daytime workers, etc.

Locally, there is a Starbucks about a block from my house that, after 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and anytime before 6:00 on the weekend is impossible to sit down in because people absolutely camp out there and monopolize tables, chairs, any available outlet...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't stay long enough in a coffee shop to notice if they have wi-fi or not. I get what I need a leave. I try not to linger anywhere really...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. I'm more indie than you!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 22 Oct 2010, 12:38 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jan 2010, 12:15 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Aug 2008, 2:04 PM
  4. Dear Prudence
    Friday Afternoon Club