Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Private/public partnerships in shared parking facilities

Registered
    Jul 2009

Private/public partnerships in shared parking facilities

Looking for examples of private/public partnerships to establish shared parking facilities. An example could be a vacant or underdeveloped site, dying strip mall that has a glutton of unused parking. The property owner doesn't want to sell, but maybe there could be a short (several year) lease? If you are aware of such arrangements like this or otherwise, and can describe how they operate (what sorts of terms/conditions/agreements are in place), please send them along.

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Are you talking about adjacent property owners sharing facilities or facilities that serve a district?

I have a local example for a downtown parking program that works basically like this:

The city contracted with property owners to use their parking lots for event parking. The contract guarantees a minimum payment per event, based on a certain utilization percentage. The city in turn contracted with a local parking management company to run the program. The company maintains insurance to limit the property owner's liability and also cleans up after events.

I can probably get more specifics. If you're interested contact me.
    "The devil bought the key to Branson. Drives a backhoe and wears a gold chain." --- Jay Farrar from the song "Barstow"

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I was thinking short-term (2-3 years) but full time. Perhaps for a transit park-and-ride lot, or other form of commuter lot, perhaps with 30-50 dedicated parking spaces in a very large commercial strip lot. The strip currently has one tennant on a very sweet lease deal which won't have them vacating until that time is up. It is a high rent property otherwise so I have every reason to anticipate that it will be redeveloped when the lease term expires. Until then, most of the enormous parking lot is not being used. It sits adjacent to one of the busiest commuter corridors and the regional transit service may be interested in using it as a park and ride lot. Seems a win-win, but with a limited (probably 3 year) timeframe. So I wouldn't even know where to advise the transit authority to begin in making the proposal to the commercial strip owner.

If this was the UK, I'd say the local authority could probably hold any proposed redevelopment hostage (withhold permission) unless concessions were made on the park-and-ride scheme, or use either Community Infrastructure Levy/S106 money to build the facility themselves. For example, S106/CIL money from the construction of Westfield London paid for improved bus stops, a new London Overground station, etc etc.

Then again, I'm unsure whether local authority areas in the US have similar powers, so perhaps an irrelevant example....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Apr 2009, 10:56 AM
  2. Public/private partnerships - examples?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2007, 10:52 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Jul 2007, 10:42 AM
  4. Public/private parking contracts
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2007, 3:17 PM
  5. Public/Private Partnerships
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1