Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is it worth going to a transportation convention?

Registered
    Mar 2010

Is it worth going to a transportation convention?

I'm currently a college student, but I'm planning to do my Masters in urban planning. And I wanted to eventually become a transit planner.

Do you guys think it's worth it for me to attend this convention in Toronto:

http://www.transportfutures.ca/smart

It costs about $150 CDN to attend. Hopefully if I go, I can do some networking, learn some stuff from these people and get some advice and learn about transportation industry.

It's quite a bit of money, but I'm generally interested in hearing what these transportation experts have to say. Do you guys think it's worth it?

Yes

The big cost for conventions is hotel/air fare. If you can attend without those costs, the entrance fee is minimal. (Think of how much you pay in tuition--think of conventions as 'class' where working professionals go to upgrade their skills.)

You'll get to hear some good talks from important people, some of which will cover things you will never learn in class, and some of which will help determine which classes you will take in years to come.

Personally, I don't think much of the networking opportunities--networking requires multiple interactions. That said, pretty much everyone will have business cards. Have some of your own, or at least something with your name, phone #, email, and affiliation that you can hand out on a moments notice. Get some blank cards and write your info on them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Florida APA Convention, 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 3:16 PM
  2. Replies: 151
    Last post: 13 Sep 2005, 1:58 PM
  3. Convention centers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 05 Feb 2005, 4:11 PM