Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rutgers, NYU, or Hunter for transportation (program/life)

Registered
    Nov 2010

Rutgers, NYU, or Hunter for transportation (program/life)

Yes, it's another one of these. I apologize in advance.
    But... I need to make a decision basically by December 3rd (I applied for spring term admissions).

Background:
    I'm a transportation guy (with some experience), but also enjoy the other aspects of planning. I have an undergrad degree in anthropology and biology and a masters degree in experimental psychology. I can deal with numbers. I have a history of going to private, urban universities.

Dilemma:
    I'm struggling to decide between Rutgers, NYU and Hunter (MUP programs).
    Can someone help?

I'd like to go to a program in a city, with minimal bureaucracy, transportation research opportunities both on campus and off, both mathematically and policy-based course offerings in transportation, and a good student planning culture on campus. The less of a commuter school-vibe I get, the better. Also, the student culture outside of the program is mildly important to me too. I'd prefer a smarter student body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to clarify anything as well.

Registered
    May 2010
    I did my undergraduate work at Hunter so I suppose I can speak broadly to school-wide culture questions.

Hunter is a large city university, and consequently taught me how to deal with ridiculous bureaucracies. I have a number of "fun" memories of running around getting paperwork signed, copied, and turned in, only to be told later that I'd filled out form A-201 when I needed form A-202. There are helpful people in each office, it was just a matter of finding them out.

Additionally, it is a complete commuter school. Students live all over the city but do not hang out "on campus." As with finding a helpful office worker, there are people who spend time on campus, I was one of them, but they are few and far between. I had some friends in the UP dept while I was at Hunter, and they loved the small classes, but had a hard time getting their planning studio coursemates to set aside time for the studios.

I'm also interested in transportation, and when I'd spoken to Dr. Chin in September about the possibilities for transportation research at Hunter he was upfront about Hunter's relative lack of coursework dealing explicitly with transportation. He had mentioned students' option of taking coursework uptown at City College. As I understand it they offer a handful of courses in traffic modeling and such.

I don't have much first hand experience with the other programs, so it's probably best to let someone else fill you in. Good luck with your decision!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    If you don't want a commuter school vibe, strike Hunter from the list. At the same time, Hunter (via CCNY) offers a great deal of transportation planning classes.

I don't know NYU to have any real curriculum strengths in transportation planning; they are definitely more theoretically oriented, so you won't get hit with numbers there as much as you will at Rutgers or Hunter (or CCNY).

All three universities offer research opportunities, but Bloustein is definitely the strongest in that field. However, Hunter has good connections with NYC DOT and the MTA, where you will get a wholly different experience than just research.

Your bureaucracy criteria is too complex to discuss. And "smarter student body" is too crude. All three programs have competitive admissions, leave it at that.

If I had your options, I would pick Rutgers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Rutgers is huge and dealing with the bureaucracy can be an issue, but the staff at Bloustein are very good about helping out with it and the fact that the building is separate from the main Rutgers campuses makes it something of a pleasant little world unto itself. New Brunswick is a small city, but it has a pretty urban feel, especially in the downtown area where Bloustein is. I'm not a transportation guy myself, but obviously that's one of the major strengths here and if it's research opportunities in transportation you're after it's probably one of the top places in the country. The school also has a lot of connections with transportation organizations both in NJ (NJTPA, NJTransit, etc.) and in New York and Philadelphia.

There are a lot of commuter students at Bloustein, but a large number of the students live nearby and many come here from various parts of the country. The student culture is great, and social events both formal and informal are frequent and heavily attended. I wouldn't say there's much of a commuter school vibe, despite the large number of commuters.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? Hunter vs Rutgers
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Nov 2013, 8:45 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Feb 2010, 3:40 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 3:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 3:06 PM