Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Exciting upcoming projects

Registered
    Nov 2009

Exciting upcoming projects

I thought it would be fun to have a thread in each category to discuss exciting upcoming projects. We can list upcoming projects under these threads or comment/ask questions about other planner's upcoming projects.

An exciting site where I have an upcoming project is Ordnance Reef (OR), Waianae, Hawaii. The Army Corps will be conducting a removal action there eventually. Current plans include a technology demonstration for using a remotely controlled vehicle to clean ordnance from the reef at depths between 12ft and 100ft or so. This demonstration will hopefully eliminate the need for putting divers in the water and at risk.

NOAA has also recently conducted surveys for fish toxicity and risk to human and environmental health from exposure (mainly through ingestion) of fish caught of OR.

I always enjoy working on these types of projects. When all is said and done, you are left with a quantifiable result. You can look back at it and feel like you have contributed something to future generations. Pretty exciting stuff I must say. Here is a link to the Army Corps public information site on OR.

http://ordnancereefhawaii.org/

Let me know what you think.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I'm going to work on a master plan/EA for an area centered around a hot springs in a remote part of Alaska (it was near the western terminus of the land bridge from Asia). It's got quite spectacular scenery. The area has been used continuously for 13000 years and was traditionally a shaman training area and is currently used most by local subsistence hunters and the occasional person with a bush plane.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by chupacabra View post
    I'm going to work on a master plan/EA for an area centered around a hot springs in a remote part of Alaska (it was near the western terminus of the land bridge from Asia). It's got quite spectacular scenery. The area has been used continuously for 13000 years and was traditionally a shaman training area and is currently used most by local subsistence hunters and the occasional person with a bush plane.
    13,000 years? WOW. That is exciting. I would love to read up on the site history. Perhaps I'll pursue your EA when its published

Registered
    Nov 2009
    So, the Ordnance Reef project is really starting to take off! The public participation effort has been so successful on the parts of our contributing agencies that the Army mentioned using the process developed here as a model for future projects. Awesome.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Upcoming interview quandary
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Mar 2009, 5:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2007, 5:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Sep 2005, 12:05 PM
  4. Upcoming Conferences
    Make No Small Plans