Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Letter of recommendation: examples?

Registered
    Jun 2009

Letter of recommendation: examples?

Hi,

I was recently asked to write a letter of recommendation for a former co-worker. I'm happy to do it, but I've not had experience writing one before. Has anybody else here had to write one? Does anyone have a sample I could use as sort of a template?

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys (and gals) and the bestest.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Hi,

I was recently asked to write a letter of recommendation for a former co-worker. I'm happy to do it, but I've not had experience writing one before. Has anybody else here had to write one? Does anyone have a sample I could use as sort of a template?

Just be honest; they go like this depending on the employee:

To whom it may concern:

I can confirm that Mr. RJ was employed at this agency between (month and year) through (month and year). During that period, he was a quick learner of our complex system, took advantage of opportunities made available to him, was a team player, conducted himself professionally with his colleagues and the public, continued to develop and improve his work skills through observation and training, and demonstrates excellent writing skills and public presentation abilities.

I would hire Mr. RJ again.
    Or,

To whom it may concern:

I can confirm that Mr. RJ was employed at this agency between (month and year) through (month and year).

Feel free to call me if you have any additional questions.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jan 2005
    RJ sums it up pretty well. I have only had two people ever ask for recommendations that I was not comfortable giving. In that case I pretty much went with RJ's second option, but instead just ended with a section about how he didn't fit within our expectations and culture here.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Hi,

Is it for a professional or academic purpose (i.e. does former employee want letter to use as part of employment application or part of graduate school/other academic applications or opportunities)? I can imagine the letters of recommendation from employers would need to be a little bit more involved for academic purposes.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Example (category: glowing)

Not to brag or anything, but I like this format.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Is it for a professional or academic purpose (i.e. does former employee want letter to use as part of employment application or part of graduate school/other academic applications or opportunities)? I can imagine the letters of recommendation from employers would need to be a little bit more involved for academic purposes.
    Right. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post. It would be for the latter (academic purpose). This person is applying to a grad school. I'm thinking it needs to be a bit more involved.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Not to brag or anything, but I like this format.
    This is what I'm talking about. That's a good example I can use. Thanks!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My former boss wrote a "glowing" one for me, kind of like Veloise's example or kind of like RJ's 1st example, except spread over 1 and a half pages (she said she tried to limit it to 1 page but she couldn't because I did so much) and also incorporating major projects and tasks I worked on while I was employed as an intern.

For an academic-related one, I guess it would be good to mention more skills and character. Projects could be included, but more as they relate to coursework and not about planning necessarily. i.e. Mention how working on comprehensive plans demonstrates a keen ability to conduct research and demonstrates excellent writing skills, how working with staff and the public demonstrates an ability to work with a diverse array of people, how reviewing developments and writing staff reports in a timely fashion demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines, etc.

Also, as a side-note, I've had people seek me out as references and one employer who was considering a friend of mine even called me. If they're good people and for the most part are hard workers, I always try to give them glowing references. I figure it's good to treat people the way you would want to be treated. Needless to say, my friend got the job.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Feb 2013, 1:33 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 2:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2009, 3:05 PM
  4. Letter of recommendation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 9:47 AM