Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia takes on the holiday children's specials

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Cyburbia takes on the holiday children's specials

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Listen up everyone associated with the world of commerce......it's December 1st. That means that it's okay NOW to start broadcasting your Christmas music, putting your holiday decorations and displays up, and airing your Santa riding an electric razor commercials. Don't let me catch you jumping the gun by doing any of the above the day after Halloween ever again. I hope I've made myself crystal clear. Otherwise, there'll be hell to pay next year. Grrrr. [/sufficient intimidation]
    Both Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole Christmas were on TV last night - and it was still November!
    Moderator note:
    Maister - split from RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Dec 2010 at 3:41 PM.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Both Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole Christmas were on TV last night - and it was still November!
    I was super annoyed that they were on at the same time. NOT COOL!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

and no commercials for Hostess cupcakes!

You know, this is America, you can buy those movies, on DVD even!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I was super annoyed that they were on at the same time. NOT COOL!
    I feel bad for you dandy. Tell you what, since you didn't get to see both I'll tell you now how they both ended

The Grinch comes to understand the True Meaning of Christmas and turns out to be an all-round swell guy....and Rudolph, you know how he had that strange glowing nose? Turns out that liability was actually an asset when he ended up guiding Santa's sleigh on a foggy Xmas eve. In fact, he went down in history because of it!

Now you no longer have to go through life wondering wondering...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I don't know how you could have watched that when the Victoria Secret Fash... umm nevermind... yeah I watched those too...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    What's the name of that Christmas special with "Mr. Heat Meiser" and "Mr. Cold Meister"? You know the one I mean? And the Heat Meister has flaming hair and tries to stop Rudolph or something?

That was my favorite and you NEVER see that one on anymore.

And not to be picky but I'm with luckless - it's not the same without the right commercials. Dolly Maddison for Charlie Brown, Hostess for the Rankin-Bass stuff.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    What's the name of that Christmas special with "Mr. Heat Meiser" and "Mr. Cold Meister"? You know the one I mean? And the Heat Meister has flaming hair and tries to stop Rudolph or something?

That was my favorite and you NEVER see that one on anymore.

And not to be picky but I'm with luckless - it's not the same without the right commercials. Dolly Maddison for Charlie Brown, Hostess for the Rankin-Bass stuff.
    The Year Without a Santa Claus. My favorite, too.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    The Year Without a Santa Claus. My favorite, too.
    Me, I was always partial to Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Dealt with the origins of Santa (the myth) and unlike many of the other classic holiday specials, this one featured a rockin' 'contemporary' (sure, it sounds horribly dated now) soundtrack complete with 1970 hallucinogenic-style animation to accompany the future Ms. Claus' own musical number.

Slightly OT, you ever hear of a Jewish holiday childrens special?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Maister - We Need A Poll
    (but you have to find all the different holiday specials including Shrek Deck the Halls which was also on last night opposite Rudolph)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Has Santa slid down the slope on top of a Norelco shaver yet?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Me, I was always partial to Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Dealt with the origins of Santa (the myth) and unlike many of the other classic holiday specials, this one featured a rockin' 'contemporary' (sure, it sounds horribly dated now) soundtrack complete with 1970 hallucinogenic-style animation to accompany the future Ms. Claus' own musical number.
    The Burgher-Maister-Maister-Burgher. Ha! Either I am goingk or the toys are goingk, and I am not goingk!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I don't know how you could have watched that when the Victoria Secret Fash... umm nevermind... yeah I watched those too...
    Yes, I am also very curious to see the new fashions.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Yes. They certainly put me in the Christmas spirit. As the models strut their stuff I can't resist saying, "'ho, 'ho, 'ho."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I like how they have become so green friendly. You know using less resources in their designs
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Regarding holiday children's specials, I look forward to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and the Charlie Brown Christmas the most. The rest, I could care less.

However, there is a much bigger selection of holiday movies I have to see this time of year, every year: Home Alone, Home Alone 2, Christmas Vacation, The Santa Clause, It's a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, and White Christmas.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have all the ones I like on VHS. Yes, VHS.

A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Little Drummer Boy
    Rudolph
    A Christmas Story
    Christmas Vacation
    Frosty the Snowman
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    White Christmas
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Santa Clause
    Home Alone

And I watch them at my leisure. Back when I was a kid and young adult, I was a slave to the t.v. and sometimes missed THE ONE SHOWING A YEAR when I had something I couldn't get out of, like doing lighting for a h.s. play, and then I missed it for a whole year! Well, back then it was just a few of the above. Before cable, before VHS players, before netflix....
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 02 Dec 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: addition

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One more reason Thanksgiving gets overlooked/hosed is that there really isn't an iconic animated children's special associated with the holiday (sure, there's Peanuts Thanksgiving but as with so many other things in the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Xmas holiday triumvirate this special is greatly overshadowed by the Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown Christmas institutions)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    One more reason Thanksgiving gets overlooked/hosed is that there really isn't an iconic animated children's special associated with the holiday (sure, there's Peanuts Thanksgiving but as with so many other things in the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Xmas holiday triumvirate this special is greatly overshadowed by the Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown Christmas institutions)
    Thanksgiving is the time for the Macy*s parade to start it all out (anyone getting their photos taken there? ) fpllowed by the NFL (Packers at Lions).

BTW, I'll have to see if my favorite sports bar will be having a good turkey wing special for the late game!

Also, is anyone going to be answering their really, really early reveille for the Black Friday™ shopping maneuvers?

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    No thank you to Black Friday (I work that day, and hate shopping)

Re: Maister's comment on lack of Thanksgiving specials: Some networks use to run The Mouse and the Mayflower back in the 80's when I was little(er); not iconic, but better than nothing. And there were dozens of Peanuts specials, most of which I've never seen or heard of.

"I've been bamboozled!" --BurgherMeister MeisterBurgher

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by B'lieve View post
    Re: Maister's comment on lack of Thanksgiving specials: Some networks use to run The Mouse and the Mayflower back in the 80's when I was little(er); not iconic, but better than nothing.
    I've been scrounging around Amazon and other places to score a VHS or DVD copy of The Mouse and the Mayflower. I have found a few but they are prohibitively expensive! I do, however, own Peanuts Thanksgiving now, and also pirated obtained a copy of 'William Bradford and the First Thanksgiving'. I thought Junior might be a little young to appreciate it, but he seemed to like it.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 9:56 PM
  2. Cyburbia holiday outages
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2007, 7:17 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Nov 2006, 8:00 AM
  4. Children's input into a comp plan
    Make No Small Plans