Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cabrini-Green - R.I.P.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Cabrini-Green - R.I.P.

One of the last of the USA's notorious mid-20th century high-rise public housing projects is closing, the last few remaining residents in the last of Chicago's Cabrini-Green high-rises have until 10-December to move out.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3493917.story

How many public housing high-rise buildings are left in the USA?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

If HUD was smart, they would have televised the explosive destruction of the last building with a pledge to move on to a new era of stupidity in this country
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    The last high rise in the story isn't vacant yet..the court decision was yesterday and the attorney for the tenants (all 2 households) said he would file an appeal of the order to vacate.

I'll count it as down when it's finally rubble at the site.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Well, the HOPE VI program resulted in the demolition of most of the high rises around here. Then "mixed-income housing" was implemented on the former sites, meaning mostly low-rise middle-income but fairly dense housing. (The housing authority didn't bother to obey the law of the day requiring that for every unit demolished or otherwise taken out of housing authority service, a replacement unit should be provided.)

There are definitely high-rise senior citizen/disabled public housing buildings still open but under-occupied in my immediate vicinity, and I suspect in smaller cities there may be high rises with all manner of public housing tenants.

The mistake of the high-rises was the broader mistake of trying to corral all the poor people into one area. In more well-bred circles, we might call that concentration of poverty. Anywhere that poor people don't have an opportunity to mingle with the more general public, eventually the whole household is lacking the social connections, the social skills, and frankly the social pressure that will put them on a better path in life.

I think everyone in the U.S. deserves a decent home base, as I see how erratically I function when I'm moving, the electricity goes off for days at a time, or in some other manner I'm temporarily homeless. However, there's no reason to store all those poor souls in the same neighborhood.

Oh yes, I forgot, there is a reason--intolerance by the rest of us. As if 2 low-income people would somehow disrupt a community of 15,000 by their very presence. We can take in Vietnamese or now Iraqi refugees, but gee--to take in 2 or 3 poor people from our own country--no, can't do that!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  2. Going Green
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 3:03 PM
  3. Red Green
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 12:08 AM