Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fashion vs. function...

Registered
    Dec 2008

Fashion vs. function...

Do you wear a watch for fashion or function? I wear a nice watch for fashion but usually check my phone for the time. How about baseball hates? Does anyone wear a ring other than their wedding ring...males vs females? What do the rings mean?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I would say a bit of both. If I was wearing a watch for function alone, it would be a basic Timex or digital watch. Not that I'm some hardcore horologist that has to wear a watch with a five digit pricetag, but still, I like pilot's chronographs and regular diver watches. My next watch will probably be a Luminox, Torgoen, TX or Lum Tec.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    wearing a watch for function alone, it would be a basic Timex .
    That's me.

Are Cyburbians horologists if we think and comment about RJ time ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I commented not long ago on a different thread about liking my Tilley hat which I find both highly functional and fashionable, but that's probably the extent of my interest in fashion-related considerations. Watches I wear tend to be worn based purely on utilitarian principles with little or no thought given to how they might look. Apart from a wedding ring I wear no jewelry whatsoever. I do have a couple tie-clips that were given to me as gifts that I use most days, but to me they serve an entirely pragmatic function. Quite honestly, I wish I could do away with all clothing frippery altogether and not have to wear any tie to begin with (dobopoq, feel free to jump in any time....) as they serve no functional purpose apart from fulfilling certain societal expectations.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't have a mobile phone so my watch is definitely worn for function.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wear a watch for function. I have a small collection but there are two that I switch back and forth most often on. One is an older Omega Seamaster and the other is a relatively new Victorinox dive watch. Both have chronograph functions that I use regularly because I like timing random things (how long my food has been in the office toaster oven, how long it takes me to go for my afternoon and morning walk, how long my daughter takes to fall asleep at night, etc...) I also have a watch that monitors my heart rate and a few other things for when I am running or working out - that's definitely a functional piece.

I wear hats all year with the stated purpose of protecting my nose, lips, and ears from the elements, especially the sun. After having skin removed from the side of my nose and too many sunburns from living in NC and driving the Jeep topless, I can no longer be too careful.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Function
    fashion
    When it's 18 degrees with a wind chill factor of 7 you should be wearing a hat that protects your ears.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Function: I wear a black-face Swiss Army watch (face on the inside of the wrist). In part because the band is extremely comfortable, but also because I wouldn't feel awful if something happened to it and when it craps out I won't feel guilty buying a new one.

I always wear my wedding band and occasionally wear my grandfather's class ring from the USNA class of '18.

I've worn a Dagmar Cross on a chain around my neck from time to time but can't seem to find it right now.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Function all the way.....

I almost always wear my dirk and a sgian-dubh, just in case I run into Brocktoon in a dark alley That guy is a bruiser
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is the Commando sweater not the most confounding example of fashion vs. functionality?

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=BrtComSwtrOD&ST=2

It's a sweater with patches, right? Or am I missing some hidden functionality?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    touque: function, unless you're emo, then you wear this to be 'different'
    fedora: fashion

The meaning of life? People should wear more hats.

Watch: Since the advent of the portable phone this has become redundant. I still wear my 15 year old Timex with the indiglo face, though it is hadly a fashionable accessory.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Is the Commando sweater not the most confounding example of fashion vs. functionality?

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=BrtComSwtrOD&ST=2

It's a sweater with patches, right? Or am I missing some hidden functionality?
    I have one of those from when I was in the Marine Corps. I wore it occasionally under my camouflage utility uniform because it was pretty warm without being too bulky. I think the patches were actually functional though if you wore it over a service "Charlie" uniform because you would pin your rank insignia to it along the shoulders and it would be much more durable than pinning it to the knitted material areas.

Also, the patches on the elbows are function because they add to the durability by helping ensure that areas that experience a lot of movement don't wear out too quickly (the patches along the shoulder also perform the same function).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Everything I wear by choice is function. If I get dressed up and do something with my wife I usually end up wear fashion like a watch, cuff links, and normally my "better" clothes...

I find fashion to be uncomfortable. Make me some comfortable fashionable clothes, and I would be all about it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Also, the patches on the elbows are function because they add to the durability by helping ensure that areas that experience a lot of movement don't wear out too quickly (the patches along the shoulder also perform the same function).
    WSU MUP is correct of course. The 'wooley pulley' was designed to accommodate a shoulder-fired weapon, and features reinforced padding/patches to reduce garment wear from the butt of the rifle on the shoulder and from resting on elbows while firing from a prone position.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Back when I envisioned myself as an upcoming starving academic professional, I had a tweed sportcoat with leather elbow patches.

My watch is a black faced analog Casio in a plastic case. I use it to tell time, not make a fashion statement. I do like the look of the high $ chronographs but they're just too damn heavy for my taste.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Heavy handed.....

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Back when I envisioned myself as an upcoming starving academic professional, I had a tweed sportcoat with leather elbow patches.

My watch is a black faced analog Casio in a plastic case. I use it to tell time, not make a fashion statement. I do like the look of the high $ chronographs but they're just too damn heavy for my taste.
    I wear heavy watches:

Last edited by The One; 07 Dec 2010 at 11:31 AM.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I vote for fashion, since function is a given. My clothes are for warmth and for covering up my goods. I don't wear a watch, but check the time on my phone. As for fashion, I aim for the blue shirt and khaki planner look, except in various colors, to show my colleagues at work that I'm not wearing the same shirt everyday. I occasionally wear a complementing tie, and I do match my leathers. As for hair... it's also for fashion over function. I'm not sure what's really a functional hairstyle, other than one that keeps the hair out of my eyes... although I may consider such a hairstyle when showing your forehead goes out of style.

Registered
    Nov 2009

It must be said

What is the deal with women's pants? Why do nearly ALL women's pants no longer have real pockets? This is the best example of fashion winning out over function. Apparently, there was a meeting somewhere at sometime that I missed where women voted that it is more important for our hips to look a few centimeters smaller than to be able to carry anything at all in our pockets.

Fashion can be achieved with function. I want my pockets back.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    What is the deal with women's pants? Why do nearly ALL women's pants no longer have real pockets? This is the best example of fashion winning out over function. Apparently, there was a meeting somewhere at sometime that I missed where women voted that it is more important for our hips to look a few centimeters smaller than to be able to carry anything at all in our pockets.

AMEN to that! I think I missed the same meeting.

Hair accessories - mostly fashion. A plain rubber band would keep my hair up, but it wouldn't necessarily go with my work outfit, nor project the proper image. Color-coordinated hair clips, bands and combs are more for image than function.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

See i will disagree with you a bit- some of us find that pockets on pants- while sometimes useful (depends on the pant) is usually located in a spot that sits horribly on ones hips and it is not at all fashionable. Pockets in jeans and cargo pants are fine- pockets in business pants- not so much.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I rarely wear a watch. Seems like the time of day can be found almost everywhere at any time (car, office, computer, bank and store outdoor clocks). I don't have a cell phone. If I have a watch it is usually a pocket watch. I doubt I have ever paid more than $18 for a watch.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I do not wear my wedding ring much. I just don't like wearing rings. I take it off at bedtime or when I am doing some handy work and it might be weeks before it is found.

In the land of the Big Sky, I do wear hats. Both for fashion and function. Fedora or Panama. My principal vanity - definitely fashion over function..
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    FWIW, here's some of the watches on my Amazon wishlist. I'm thinking about getting one of these after I start the new job.

Luminox Colormark 3097

TX 730 Series (Timex on steroids, I know, but this watch seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck.)

Torgoen T2 (seems versatile)

Wenger Swiss Raid Commando

Orient CTD0D007H

Citizen EcoDrive Skyhawk

Not available through Amazon: Lum Tec watches. I like the styling of the M36. $475, Swiss movement, and assembled in the suburbs of Cleveland.

Also, one of my friends called me from a thrift store to tell me he found a brown Carhartt barn coat; medium size, so it fits me. Told him to buy it, and I'll reimburse him. With a plaid shirt, the coat looks great!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

I want.....

I've wanted this watch for a while now:

or

John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wear a gold and silver colored Seiko self-winding wrist watch Monday through Thursday. A leather wrist band Swiss wrist watch on Friday. The cheap black plastic watch over on the weekends.

Call me a fashion whore...or a metrosexual if you like.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Seriously? Watches? Do women still wear these? Moms? I quit wearing watches when my toddler threw mine out a moving vehicle, over 15 years ago. My cell phone has the time, and well, I live in California. I was at a site view the other day and the guy I met up with said um, I have to pick up my daughter at three, but I am not sure what time it is. I pulled out my cell phone and informed him it was 2:30.

I wear my wedding ring all the time. I have to force myself to wear more jewelry than that, and do, for hearing days usually. If I ever come to the office on a non hearing day wearing jewelry, everyone asks what sort of important meeting I will be attending.

When I was in college, I visited a planning department, and the planner came out in sweats. Seriously. Sweats. He said it was not his day to work the counter.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Fashion Street: thesis
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Oct 2008, 9:08 PM
  2. Good old fashion scandal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jun 2008, 3:34 PM
  3. Skatepark designs and function...