Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sponsorship programs for community banners

Registered
    May 2006

Sponsorship programs for community banners

Does anyone have information on programs for sponsoring banner within your community? My community would like to set up one of these types of programs and we are not sure how to get started. I have come across several company's that would do it for us, however the desire is to use a local business to provide the banners rather than farm it outside the community. Any help would be appreciated.

Contact her or at hurwiller@randolph-ma.gov

I'm not a huge fan of these utility/light pole banners as I find they add to the visual clutter in our public spaces.

That said, we have had them here and this is what I understand about them: the advertising company typically does the ground work in assembling the local companies willing to pay to have their logo on the banner (usually about 20% of the banner area). Once they have enough businesses signed up (no pun intended) they approach the muni for permission to install the banners. Images on the banners are typically stock art rather than anything specific to the community itself. Materials, including hardware (grommets, arms, etc.) vary in quality and durability.

IMHO, it would be better to do something like this(if you are going to do it at all) in-house and eliminate the middle-man entirely. The muni would have better control over the graphics --with the ability to tailor it to neighborhoods or specific events, etc -- and organize the placement of banners because the additional costs would go to better design/materials (e.g., no profit for the middle-man, everything goes into the sign and hardware). The added benefit is having the banners manufactured and perhaps installed locally = economic stimulus.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm not a huge fan of these utility/light pole banners as I find they add to the visual clutter in our public spaces.

That said, we have had them here and this is what I understand about them: the advertising company typically does the ground work in assembling the local companies willing to pay to have their logo on the banner (usually about 20% of the banner area). Once they have enough businesses signed up (no pun intended) they approach the muni for permission to install the banners. Images on the banners are typically stock art rather than anything specific to the community itself. Materials, including hardware (grommets, arms, etc.) vary in quality and durability.

IMHO, it would be better to do something like this(if you are going to do it at all) in-house and eliminate the middle-man entirely. The muni would have better control over the graphics --with the ability to tailor it to neighborhoods or specific events, etc -- and organize the placement of banners because the additional costs would go to better design/materials (e.g., no profit for the middle-man, everything goes into the sign and hardware). The added benefit is having the banners manufactured and perhaps installed locally = economic stimulus.
    Adding to this, any profits from the banners might be earmarked as operational funds for the downtown organization/neighborhood business improvement district.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    If you have local graphic designers in your community, see if you can make a deal for them to work at a discount rate. Usually locally-generated art is better than stock art, but even if not "better," it's certainly more unique and you won't see it in the next town also. Try for a distinctive look if you're going to have what may be visual clutter to some.

The same banners could be visual clutter in an area where there are plenty of things to look at, but on the other hand, it the area needs splashes of color and maybe even a little softness as opposed to hardscape, the banner can be a real plus. Coordinated banners also can distract the eye from an otherwise really helter-skelter built environment and/or public realm.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Apologies for piggy-backing on your question, but I'm curious to see about sponsorship programs for signs as well, though perhaps not banners. I was thinking of sponsorship for wayfinding, recreation path, or even municipal park signs. The City allowed sponsorship of a gateway sign by a non-profit organization without a policy in place, and now everybody from the Lions Club to the local pizza place wants to sponsor a sign. Does anybody have any written policies or words of advice they can share?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    Apologies for piggy-backing on your question, but I'm curious to see about sponsorship programs
    http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=562287

I kinda like the of a municipal branded softdrink. Although to the best of my knowledge, San Diego's Brian Maienschein is the only one who's outright proposed to sell naming rights to entire city neighborhoods...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Victoria state sponsorship
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Feb 2011, 11:27 AM
  2. What kinds of community programs do you deal with?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jun 2008, 11:37 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Aug 2007, 5:23 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Aug 2002, 11:19 AM