Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap products that just dont work

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Cheap products that just dont work

I have spent way too long painting a couple of rooms in my apartment. I bought a couple of buckets of redish-orange paint from Wal-Mart only to find it took 3 coats versus 1 coat of a Benjamin Moore. Now, I am removing the painters tape from the Wal-Mart red only to find out is taking some of chunks of the 3-coat latex paint. Grrrrr.

What products, goods, or services should not be bought on the cheap:

Paint brushes
    Health insurance (HMO instead of PPO)
    Windshield wipers
    Televisions, DVD players
    Cars
    Markers and pens
    Cologne and perfume
    Booze
    Doors and windows
    Suits
    Underwear

A few others will probably come to mind later on...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nuclear power plants. No discount Chernobyls for me thanks.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Condoms. Buy the national brands. Pay full price. You will not be sorry.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Back when I was in college I bought a bunch of cheap cookware at Wal-Mart becasue it was well cheap and Wal-Mart was the only game in town. I swear the vast majority of the stuff became defective fairly quickly. Baking pans rusted, glasses broke when dropped, a plastic measuring cup developed a small crack/leak out of nowhere... I think you get what you pay for, now I try to buy used since its cheaper and older products were generally made better.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I have spent way too long painting a couple of rooms in my apartment. I bought a couple of buckets of redish-orange paint from Wal-Mart only to find it took 3 coats versus 1 coat of a Benjamin Moore. Now, I am removing the painters tape from the Wal-Mart red only to find out is taking some of chunks of the 3-coat latex paint. Grrrrr.
    [elitist grandstand]Your post above is laden with Wal Mart. Stop shopping there (or at least buying the Wal-Mart brand), spend the extra $1 or $5 and you would not have this problem. [/elitist grandstand]

As for booze and beer, spend the extra cash for a better hangover in the morning. (Thanks to Boiker for his pushing me into the direction of more expensive gin.)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    [elitist grandstand]Your post above is laden with Wal Mart. Stop shopping there (or at least buying the Wal-Mart brand), spend the extra $1 or $5 and you would not have this problem. [/elitist grandstand]
    Hahaha, actually I buy a lot of stuff from wal-mart and the dollar-store (toothpaste, brillo pads, hand-soap, shower gel, etc.) that work out fine for me. I'm not cheap, just try to stretch out the dollar as much as I can.

Others I can think of:
    Razors
    Apartments
    Bouquets of flowers
    Running shoes
    Glasses/sunglasses
    Bikes
    Tires
    Toilet paper
    Headphones
    Tape (buy 3M!!!)
    Glue and adhesives
    Tools (hammers, screw drivers, saws, etc.)
    Anything in leather (shoes, belts, jackets, sofas, etc.)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Parents, Spouses, SO's - Always buy the best quality sporting equipment that you can afford for your kids, yourself, or whoever. More potentially talented people have been discouraged from sports by poor-fitting or poor-protecting equipment than by bad coaches or bad teammates. Good equipment won't make you any better but bad equipment will ruin your enjoyment and maybe your health.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Parents, Spouses, SO's - Always buy the best quality sporting equipment that you can afford for your kids, yourself, or whoever. More potentially talented people have been discouraged from sports by poor-fitting or poor-protecting equipment than by bad coaches or bad teammates. Good equipment won't make you any better but bad equipment will ruin your enjoyment and maybe your health.
    This is the problem with my wife getting into leisurely weekend cycling. He bike is cheap and HEAVY, the chain falls off and the brakes are mighty loose. She wants to bike, but gets frustrated with it.

Maybe I'll steal my mom's bike for her, she isn't using it and it is a great bike.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    After going through God-knows-how-many string trimmers, I was going to post a thread titled "Products that never work as advertised, regardless of price"..

Cheap Stuff

HDMI Upconvert DVD Players.........lots of cheap ones out there............they all last 3 months then the warranty expires..........

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    After going through God-knows-how-many string trimmers, I was going to post a thread titled "Products that never work as advertised, regardless of price"..
    Use a blade...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    (Thanks to Boiker for his pushing me into the direction of more expensive gin.)
    Off-topic:
    I push because I care.

Cheap toasters always burn your toast or just warm the bread., cheap coffee makers burn your coffee and become unfixably scaled.

Cheap clothing looses its color quickly, unravels randomnly, and shrinks.

Come to think of it, I don't know of one "quality" cheap product. If you shop at walmart, be prepared to shop at walmart.....again and again and again.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    socks
    bedding
    mayonnaise
    pool floaties
    batteries
    yard decor
    ping-pong tables

Registered
    Oct 2001
    How about my ex-wife? Does that count?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Motorcycles
    Helmets
    Leathers
    Audio Equipment
    Bass'es
    Amp's
    Shoes
    Clothes
    Computers
    Beer
    Liquor
    Steaks
    camping equipment

All are elements i would not scrimp on..........and would definitely not buy it at walmart.
    When it comes to stuff that you either, love or need for safety, or makes you feel better about the world around you do not scimp.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's the other face of "cheap"; what you can buy way cheaper at Wal-Mart:

propane for camp stoves (way cheaper than camping stores)
    sleeping bags (FL weight)
    frozen hash brown patties (kid loves them)
    batteries
    most movies on day of release
    bras (they have some great deals on summer-weight bras, and in FL, boy are they a good deal!)

Computers.
    I have a few friends who tried to get a deal by buying a cheap laptop for say $600, only to deal with it crashing and being a nightmare to deal with. There are cheaper laptops out there, but I would be very hesitant to buy a no-name computer.

Any type of work around the house.
    Now I know this isn't a product per say, but it drives me crazy - my dad CONSTANTLY hires "friends" who are "carpenters", "electricians", etc., to save money. In the end, he ALWAYS has to have the project re-done which costs almost double, yet still continues to hire these quacks he meets through other "friends".

Shampoo
    Luggage

Jeans
    You can always tell when someone is wearing cheaply made jeans, spend the money, they'll last forever.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head...but I've found myself often thinking about this!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by shelbycakes View post
    Computers.
    I have a few friends who tried to get a deal by buying a cheap laptop for say $600, only to deal with it crashing and being a nightmare to deal with. There are cheaper laptops out there, but I would be very hesitant to buy a no-name computer.

They didn't happen to buy a Toshiba Satellite A215 did they? I bought mine for around $600 last August and it seems to have tendency for the screen to somewhat randomly go blank and the computer shut off. It seems to happen with greater frequency when playing music or watching movies. Also the printer seems to like to deinstall and reinstall itself at random. I'm wondering if this has something to do with windows vista as my parents computer/printer does the same thing.

One was a Toshiba, but I'm not sure what model...the other was an HP, which I'm no computer whiz or anything but I don't really see anyone using HP laptops...

Windows Vista does have lots of bugs though....I'm using a Mac Powerbook, which I've had for about 4 years now and it still runs just as good as when I bought it, so I'm pretty happy with that. Buuut that was paid for with a student loan, haha, not sure if I would break the bank on another Mac again

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One was a Toshiba, but I'm not sure what model...the other was an HP, which I'm no computer whiz or anything but I don't really see anyone using HP laptops...

Windows Vista does have lots of bugs though....I'm using a Mac Powerbook, which I've had for about 4 years now and it still runs just as good as when I bought it, so I'm pretty happy with that. Buuut that was paid for with a student loan, haha, not sure if I would break the bank on another Mac again
    I would of bought another Mac but I was worried about compatibility with the popular software programs such as Microsoft Office and the like. I'm sure there is a way to make a Mac compatible but I thought I'd just keep it simple and cheap and go with a Windows computer.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I would of bought another Mac but I was worried about compatibility with the popular software programs such as Microsoft Office and the like. I'm sure there is a way to make a Mac compatible but I thought I'd just keep it simple and cheap and go with a Windows computer.
    A bit OT, but I love my Macbook. I got it last summer while I was still a student (woo hoo for student discounts!) It is much more stable than any of my past Windows computers. Still a year later, the computer is still fast at everything, which is more than I could say about my past computers. I have Office for Mac on it and I have yet to run into any compatablity issues.

Back to the topic at hand...

Don't by printer ink on the cheap. The generic cartridges also seem to go dry quicker than the name-brand ones. The generic ink also seems to smear more.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Computers.
    Jeans
    You can always tell when someone is wearing cheaply made jeans, spend the money, they'll last forever.

I don't care if they look "cheap", I buy them at Wal-Mart. Why? They're the only place that sells jeans for short people that doesn't want $65 a pair, and I'm not paying that kind of $$ for jeans.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Saw this little gem on a country store's wall:

"Cheap stuff isn't often good. Good stuff isn't often cheap."
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    If you shop at walmart, be prepared to shop at walmart.....again and again and again.
    I think that's one of the most concise summaries of their business plan I've read to date.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    +Olive oil.... man there is just such a difference in taste.
    +Wine Racks... I think the point is pretty obvious.
    +Anniversary gifts... not that I have, but I know better than to go cheap on those.
    +Running Shoes... I strongly agree on this one. I get about 1200 miles per pair, and would get MUCH less if I went for the cheap crap (or the uber expensive NIKE crap)
    +Steak... taste is not worth the $5 you will save.
    +Seafood... same as above, and you don't have as much of a chance of dying of some unknown seafood related illness
    +Phone chargers... not all are made the same. Many of the non-name brand ones break just when you really need to charge your phone... it has happened twice.
    +Knives... if you have not owned a good set of kitchen knives, you haven't lived.

As I have begun to make more money over the last two years, I have started to get away from the cheap crap as much as possible, but man some deals are just too good to pass by. Why wouldn't I buy a cheap hammer for a third of the cost of the good one? I can buy three and hope they last a long time. I know this logic isn't good over the long haul, but sometimes I just want the lower up front investment. Who knows if I want a hammer in 10 years... maybe I will be happy my other three broke by then...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Dont wanna deal with it now....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Feb 2011, 8:43 PM
  2. Keeping things we dont need/use
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 04 Oct 2010, 4:39 PM
  3. Legitimate products that don't work