Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 223 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 5 (2010)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 5 (2010)

Tradition has called.....this Bear has answered.....

My original plans were to introduce this "catch-all" thread later in the day on this final day of the decade. My evening plans are somewhat jumbled, so I will take the time right here and now......

Proudly prying open the newest Random Thoughts thread. Seems like just yesterday when I popped the top on the first Random thread. Then again, it seems like just yesterday when I was in high school.....and that was ten presidents ago.

Ladies and gentlemen......start your engines.
    _____

1st Random Thought of 2010 Thread - Does it seem strange that it was considered normal for the citizens of Petticoat Junction to have drinking water that three women bathed in? Just wondering.

Happy New Year !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Berar
    Billie Jo, Bobby Jo, and Betty Jo can do anything they want.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No need to apologize for starting the thread now, BUN, after all it *IS* 2010 already in Natski's part of the World.

BTW, BUN, that water tower was to fill the water tank in the tender of the railroad's locomotive.

Mike

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am still alive and will try to pop in from time to time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Who has seen the Full Moon or the Blue Moon ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Happy New Year! At least in the Eastern Time Zone in North America.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Who has seen the Full Moon or the Blue Moon ?
    I did, while sipping wine in the hot tub last night. To be candid, I saw two full moons. Both were beautiful sights to behold.

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Happy New Year! At least in the Eastern Time Zone in North America.
    I see you had a more exciting New Year's Eve than I did. I was asleep in a chair in the living room when the clock struck midnight.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I think we can beat last year's 5,003 posts (which may go down after we cull out some multiposts and the like) in this RTDNTOTO thread this year. Whatcha' think?

Maybe I'm getting too old for the whole New Year's Eve thing. Years ago when I was living in Denver, I went with some friends to a large NYE party at a downtown hotel. I saw my ex there with a date, and she was having a great time.. I didn't have a date. It was a miserable time. Since then, My New Year's Eves have been relatively quiet; small get-togethers at the curling club or with a couple of people, going to bed early, that kind of thing.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Didn't see the moon due to cloudy conditions. Hosted a small get together with friends. Had a good time.

Found out I have a new boss.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a sore throat. What a way to start the new year!

On a good note, my passionfruit margaritas came out very yummy last night.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Happy New Year to all! May this year be better than last.

Registered
    May 2003
    I have to tell you, this felt more than a little strange....and sad.....

One of my employees died on Christmas Eve. He was a healthy 52-year old man just a month and a half ago. Cancer was hiding in his body, though, and when it finally made an appearance, he went downhill very quickly.

On Wednesday I was sorting through the paychecks and came across his envelope. Because of holiday period vacations and general end-of-the-year chaos, our payroll folks did not "catch" the paycheck when forwarding the big stack to me. I talked with the HR Director and we sorted-out where the check should be mailed. It was a sad conversation.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Snow angles are much more interesting to make when you are face down in the lawn.

Tree skirt night at the bar was a riot. I didn't drink but I still had a blast.

I have to go back to Texas in 18 days to wrap up some business there. Not looking forward to it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My self-imposed sabbatical/moratorium is over. Couldn't break the habit of checking in every so often and it was really hard not to respond to some of the posts. I think I'll make it a practice to take a break after every clubn+1 achievement just to counter some of my OCD tendencies.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My self-imposed sabbatical/moratorium is over. Couldn't break the habit of checking in every so often and it was really hard not to respond to some of the posts. I think I'll make it a practice to take a break after every clubn+1 achievement just to counter some of my OCD tendencies.
    Welcome back! Hope you got something accomplished with all the newly spared time.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Happy New Year everyone! It's started off on a good note even if I have a hermit in residence. I went to my friend's family's party last night with R.T. and had a great time and we didnt' get home til nearly 3am. R.T. and I woke up this morning at 8:30am and picked up the same friend and we went off to Philly for the Mummers Parade and had a blast and we decided to stay in Philly the rest of the day. Had lunch at a cool place called El Vez, did an architectural tour for the benefit of R.T. who is taking an arch class, shot photos bike friendly practices, went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and there was a free concert there too which we stuck around for. All in all a fabulous day.

The hermit has not acknowledged my existence since my arrival home 37 minutes ago. I foresee an early departure for him tomorrow via train to EWR. Then we are going to Princeton for the kickoff of the Environmental Film Festival
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This resort I am at has a collection of free range exotic birds. I am about to go kill the rooster that thinks 1am is an appropriate cock-a-doodle-doo time.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    This resort I am at has a collection of free range exotic birds. I am about to go kill the rooster that thinks 1am is an appropriate cock-a-doodle-doo time.
    Haha I am having flashbacks of Sri Lanka living in the countryside. Add peacocks and monkeys, both of which are highly annoying noisemakers and you get the picture.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Two friends and 101 guests at this hour of the morning. What gives?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Catching up on my Sunday papers

Found this mention of a new book.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009122...ords-and-texts

"We don't think the Kwame Kilpatrick episode in Detroit was a big laugh," says Schaefer. "But at some point you've got to have a giggle once in a while or else you just cry over the whole thing."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    T-minus 2 hours and the hermit is gone! We are celebrating by going to the Princeton Environmental Film Festival

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I think we can beat last year's 5,003 posts (which may go down after we cull out some multiposts and the like) in this RTDNTOTO thread this year. Whatcha' think?
    I resolve to do my part.

Registered
    May 2003

Date Random

Today is January 2, 2010. Otherwise listed as 01-02-2010. You can read this number forward or backward. It is a palindrome.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Today is January 2, 2010. Otherwise listed as 01-02-2010. You can read this number forward or backward. It is a palindrome.
    Cool! Palindrome day! When the next time the date does this again? Can't think this hard on the weekend

I hope everyone is staying warm out there, we are going to have lows in the teens tonight and windchills in the single digits!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Its raining here- means the cricket is not on. hmmf

But i am off to see Wicked the musical this evening

and i bought a whole heap of super cute vintage sewing patterns- i am going to be one busy person!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Closed thread
Page 1 of 223 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141