Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: So here's the plan...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010

So here's the plan...

I am presently working on a Master's degree in Public Administration at the National University of Singapore, and I expect to graduate with an A- GPA. Having taken the GREs a few years ago, I anticipate my new GRE scores to be no lower than 1,200. In addition, I have ten years of experience working in international organizations and NGOs doing technical assistance related to political development. In the last decade, I've lived and/or worked in Mexico, Singapore, East Timor, Iraq, Kosovo, Indonesia and Pakistan. I also speak Spanish and Indonesian, and could re-acquire Portuguese proficiency if the need arose.

My objective is to get into MIT's MCP degree in order to focus on infrastructure policy and planning in Asia-Pacific countries with a particular emphasis on Indonesia and on economic development. Provided that I can attain sufficiently high quantitative GRE scores, I hope to leverage my engineering BS by combining the MCP degree with the Sloan School's Master of Finance. The idea is to work in consulting firms, multi-lateral development banks or as an advisor to governments in the area of infrastructure finance.

Any thoughts, questions and comments on the basic road-map laid out above are welcomed.
    Last edited by Mauricio; 13 Dec 2010 at 7:14 PM.

Dual Masters

You may have a difficult time picking up both the MCP and something from Sloan at the same time. Not to say that it is impossible, but I'm unsure there is a lot of overlap. Have you examined the class lists for both degrees? Have you examined the DUSP class list?

Do you need both degrees? Can you achieve your goals by specializing within one program? What are you trying to learn that has not already been covered in your MPA?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    All good and fair questions.

Do I need both degrees? For the niche that I want to fill, infrastructure financing and in general, financing of development, yes I think I do.
    Can I achieve my goals within one program? I don't think so, but I'd love to be informed and enlightened to the contrary
    What am I going to learn that I have not leanrt in the MPA? Tons, I think. Given that my programs is a mid-career, one-year program there is very little chance to develop any profound techy skills in, for example, infrastructure planning.

But perhaps I got ahead of myself a bit. My initial question should have been: what are my chances of admission to the likes of MIT, Harvard, Cornell, etc.?
    Last edited by Mauricio; 14 Dec 2010 at 4:44 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Dec 2011, 2:59 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 Dec 2007, 12:24 PM
  5. Plan Maker or plan Implementer?
    Make No Small Plans