Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Irritating civil service exam question

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010

Irritating civil service exam question

I'm not completely sure if this is the right sub-forum for this post, but it is related to employment/hiring so I'll go with it:

I took a civil service exam last week (upstate NY), and the test seemed quite easy overall. However there were several questions that simply seemed to have no correct answer--they essentially asked for an opinion or didn't provide enough information to make a valid selection. I'm going to outline one below that sort of stumped me. Isn't this question unanswerable, or am I missing something?
    You are planning a neighborhood with a gridiron street layout, and a diagonal arterial street bisecting it. What is the best solution?
    1. Create infrequent intersections with the arterial at right angles.
    2. Create frequent intersections at acute angles.
    3. Curve the gridiron, creating frequent intersections at right angles.
    4. Create frequent intersections, but enlarge the intersection size to prevent visibility issues.

I chose (3), but I seriously can't see how this determination could be made without a lot more information about the neighborhood (population, pedestrian and car traffic counts, number of lanes on the arterial, speed limits, etc.).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would have chosen (1), because the primary purpose of an arterial is to move large amounts of traffic.

Yeah, I hate these civil service exams, too.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Yeah I wondered if I had missed some clue in the vocabulary. The problem with that approach is putting an undue load on the neighborhood streets with the connections. Unless "arterial" meant a divided 55mph highway, it seems like a 2-way stop every 400 feet would be better than a light every half mile.

I am wondering if (1) was correct, and this question was written in another era. The test may have been written 30 years ago for all I know, when that sort of traffic pattern was en vogue and thus immediately obvious as the "right" answer.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I would also have picked option #1 just because I figure that basically, whichever option allows for fewer intersections onto the arterial street would be the best option, at least considering the minimal information provided.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2005
    You're correct in that to really make a decision on this, you need more information. (1) may have been correct in 1973 or whatever year that question was first drafted, and it may be the answer the test is looking for, but as is the case for most of the content on these exams, it's straight out of the Moses era of planning practice. I've taken several the Planning CS exams in the past and many of the questions are so nonsensical that it appears to be almost by design.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just always answer C. Why even check out the question. Straight C's.... I bet you got it right.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I would have chosen: Do whatever the developer wants because your tax base is shrinking and you need any form of revenue you can get and he knows it.

I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My guess is that they were looking for "A", but I will agree with you that it really depends on many other factors. Topography might have a lot to do with the final layout. If you want a pedestrian-friendly commercial district, you will want frequent intersections - your answer would be correct. If there is already an existing road pattern, whether full or partial, you may have to select one of the other options. All in all, a bad question. It reminds me of something you might see on the AICP exam.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. NYS Civil Service Exam
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Aug 2011, 7:32 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Feb 2011, 5:25 PM
  4. Santa Barbara County civil service exam