Urban planning community

Poll results: Which mustache(s) are you unwilling to hire?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chevron

1 3.45%
  • Dali

2 6.90%
  • English

2 6.90%
  • Handlebar

2 6.90%
  • Petit Handlebar

3 10.34%
  • Painter's Brush

2 6.90%
  • Horseshoe

0 0%
  • Toothbrush

10 34.48%
  • Lampshade

3 10.34%
  • Pencil Mustache

4 13.79%
  • Pyramidal Mustache

1 3.45%
  • Fu Manchu

4 13.79%
  • Imperial

4 13.79%
  • Walrus

2 6.90%
  • All of them. Mustaches are terrible.

4 13.79%
  • None of them / Why do you hate Amurrica?

12 41.38%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mustaches and hiring discrimination

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mustaches and hiring discrimination

As someone who grows different facial hair configurations almost every fall/winter, I'm acutely aware of the unique responses many people have to mustaches. I personally like my mustache, but I'm curious how prospective employers might respond to it or other mustaches. I figured what better way to find out than to poll my fellow Cyburbians.

Here's the scenario: You're a hiring manager. Which of the following mustache styles would be a dealbreaker for a prospective employee?

(wait for the poll!)

Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The "toothbrush", also known as the "Hitler" 'stache. This isn't the 3rd Reich.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I personally find creative mustaches quite interesting and though I wouldn't want facial hair myself, I would love to grow some kind of creative leg hair if I could (hahahaha jk).

Odd, but interesting, movie La Moustache http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428856/

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    Here's the scenario: You're a hiring manager. Which of the following mustache styles would be a dealbreaker for a prospective employee?
    Hiring manager at what type of facility? If I were the hiring manager at Dr. Shapiro's House of Electrology and Laser Hair Removal I would find any of these mustaches unacceptable on any of the women in my employ.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    As long as they were on men, I wouldn't automatically refuse to hire any of them. Gotta say though that the extreme upturns, downturns, and Hitler styles would make me interview them more closely for fit within whatever organization I was hiring for.

BTW, I'm a longtime wearer of moustaches, beards, sideburns, etc.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I hate mustaches. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I myself cannot grow one. Now afternoon shadows... I would hire those dreamy guys in an instant!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Hiring manager at what type of facility? If I were the hiring manager at Dr. Shapiro's House of Electrology and Laser Hair Removal I would find any of these mustaches unacceptable on any of the women in my employ.
    You are a hiring manager at your current place of employ. Assume that all prospective mustachioed employees are male or cross-dressing females.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Great thread idea!

I believe the type of moustache one sports definitely says something about that person's psychological make up. Unusual/bizarre styles scream LOOK AT ME. Maybe that's okay if one is looking for a very artistically-oriented individual, but for the business of pointy headed bureaucrats there is pretty much only one valid style.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Never trust a man with a moustache...unless it's 1980s Tom Selleck...
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Great thread idea!

I believe the type of moustache one sports definitely says something about that person's psychological make up. Unusual/bizarre styles scream LOOK AT ME. Maybe that's okay if one is looking for a very artistically-oriented individual, but for the business of pointy headed bureaucrats there is pretty much only one valid style.
    What do you call that one, Maister? Looks more traditional than a Chevron, too trim for Walrus. How about Business Casual?

Mine is currently a Chevron-Horseshoe hybrid. But I'm a grad student and therefore somewhat expected to look like a weirdo.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    As long as they were on men, I wouldn't automatically refuse to hire any of them.
    We took a woman to court that had the biggest, stringiest mustache I'd ever seen. The judge called her Mr. He was so embarrassed. It didn't help her name was a uni-sex name and not Mary or Julie or something obvious.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I prefer the hair on the guy behind the guy with the 'stache.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I was trying to grow one, but Mrs. H put her foot down. Said she didnt want to walk around with me with a stache. I called her bluff, grew one last summer. She was not bluffing. I thought, oh well, I dont really need one...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2004
    I dont know what half of those types of staches are. I think we need picture references to make an informed decision. I had a mustache for a while, not sure what type, but I kept getting food in it and it was annoying. Now I'm sporting the chin beard ala Scott Ian of Anthrax. I'm guessing that wouldn't be a great hiring feature either
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Any guy with this stash must be hired immediately .

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I dont know what half of those types of staches are. I think we need picture references to make an informed decision. I had a mustache for a while, not sure what type, but I kept getting food in it and it was annoying. Now I'm sporting the chin beard ala Scott Ian of Anthrax. I'm guessing that wouldn't be a great hiring feature either
    Is the JPEG in the first post not showing up?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ah HA!

In related news this ONE is one week into growing a FULL BEARD! I'm in competition with my building inspectors to grow the most manly beard in the office. I'm SOOOO far ahead it isn't even funny.

Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Oh I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache. The Boston Blackie kind . . .

Probably gotta be a Parrothead to get that reference.

A Hitler 'stache would definitely be hard to take. A Dali would raise a few eyebrows. But, being a guy who sports a mustache and beard, I am not likely to discriminate against a fellow for sporting manly facial hair.

Of course it depends on what you can get away with. William Powell rocked the pencil-thin mustache but John Waters looks creepy. And Sam Elliott can pull off the big 'stache that few others would dare even attempt.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Sorry, but as a woman, I find facial hair pretty un-sexy on most guys. There are always exceptions though
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Any guy with this stash must be hired immediately .

I agree. Sam Elliot FTW.

Registered
    May 2005
    I just keep checking in here to see how one of you uses the word "mustachioed"

That diagram kalimotxo posted is extremely informative. I know feel like I can speak to the topic with authority. But talk is all I can do because, sad as it may be, I cannot grow a mustache. Its true. I'm just not a very hairy guy. Oh, I have to shave and all of that, but any attempts at a mustachioed appearance (nice, huh?) result in my looking like an 8th grader who just catapulted into puberty - scrappy, sparse, unattractive. I also have light hair, so unless you are REALLY close, you might not even notice.

So, I prefer to keep it clean. And I find that, in my own experiences, more ladies prefer less hair than not. Can you decipher that sentence?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Wahday, consider yourself lucky. You probably don't have back hair.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    This is one of the funniest threads I have read in years!
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2006

The classic ofos look

Post em if if you got em. Take one if you don't,

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I just keep checking in here to see how one of you uses the word "mustachioed"

That diagram kalimotxo posted is extremely informative. I know feel like I can speak to the topic with authority. But talk is all I can do because, sad as it may be, I cannot grow a mustache. Its true. I'm just not a very hairy guy. Oh, I have to shave and all of that, but any attempts at a mustachioed appearance (nice, huh?) result in my looking like an 8th grader who just catapulted into puberty - scrappy, sparse, unattractive. I also have light hair, so unless you are REALLY close, you might not even notice.

So, I prefer to keep it clean. And I find that, in my own experiences, more ladies prefer less hair than not. Can you decipher that sentence?
    If I go a few weeks without shaving, I start getting asked for an ID when I order a beer. Then they laugh when I show them how old I am or call over their friends. So for that reason, I would never hire a man or a woman with a mustache.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Aug 2013, 10:07 AM
  2. Replies: 67
    Last post: 08 Nov 2012, 9:06 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 8:13 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 04 Aug 2006, 1:44 PM
  5. Busch is Hiring