Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Story-toppers- why?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Story-toppers- why?

What's the deal with people who are always trying to one-up your account of interesting/unique experiences? There's a guy I run into when I'm out (but try to avoid), and I think it's fair to say that nobody's really ever happy to see him because he's such a rapid story-topper. No matter how great you say that Rush concert was, this guy went to an even more amazing show in a cooler venue and got backstage. That pizza joint you think has the best slices? Pure crap compared to this guy's place that of course "not that many people know about" on the other side of town... which brings him to this other time when he was there late-night with his ex-girlfriend blah blah blah.. is this not the most ingratiating personal trait or what?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha!

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    What's the deal with people who are always trying to one-up your account of interesting/unique experiences? There's a guy I run into when I'm out (but try to avoid), and I think it's fair to say that nobody's really ever happy to see him because he's such a rapid story-topper. No matter how great you say that Rush concert was, this guy went to an even more amazing show in a cooler venue and got backstage. That pizza joint you think has the best slices? Pure crap compared to this guy's place that of course "not that many people know about" on the other side of town... which brings him to this other time when he was there late-night with his ex-girlfriend blah blah blah.. is this not the most ingratiating personal trait or what?
    You think that's bad, there is a guy here that just won't shut up about his new plane, boat, car, trucks and three houses being built just for him!

I agree one-uppers suck

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    You think that's bad, there is a guy here that just won't shut up about his new plane, boat, car, trucks and three houses being built just for him!

I agree one-uppers suck

You beat me to it. Dam one-upper
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I always enjoy that it is usally on things that I could care less about... yea I got $3 on the scratch off yesterday... well one time I got $10...umm okay?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2002
    is this not the most ingratiating personal trait or what?
    No, it's not the least bit ingratiating. In fact, it's just the opposite. It's irritating and annoying, but not ingratiating.

I used to work with a guy who made much worse mistakes.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    yeah, like those people who mention their pools and hot tubs every chance they get or whenever the mood strikes them.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    One of my great-aunts used to do that...but only with medical conditions. You have a cold? She just got over the flu. Your kid broke his wrist? That's nothing compared to when her femur broke in eight places back in '66.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This sounds exactly like someone I used to work for! Maybe those two should get together...

I would what would happen if you put two "one-uppers" together. Would they both explode?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    yeah, like those people who mention their pools and hot tubs every chance they get or whenever the mood strikes them.
    You know somebody like that ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I would what would happen if you put two "one-uppers" together. Would they both explode?
    I think they would just keep topping each other until they had nothing left to say. It would be amusing to fuel their discussion.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    this was a SNL skit a few years ago, right? pretty funny when you know someone like that... I get to see one every Christmas.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    this was a SNL skit a few years ago, right? pretty funny when you know someone like that... I get to see one every Christmas.
    Ahh, yes Penelope played by Kristen Wiig. One of the funnier characters from SNL in recent seasons. Not the best quality, but I hope this works...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5320839977330#

Off-topic:
    I posted a screengrab of Penelope in my member gallery but can't figure out how to attach it to a post.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    *appreciate the Rush reference... that is AWESOME.

BTW, Saw them at the famed Red Rocks venue in the foothills west of Denver...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    There are many planners like this also . . .

"Well, you should have been there when MY plan was adopted in 1985! There was a room of 200 people all sneering at me until I got up and explained how my groundbreaking plan would blah blah blah . . ."

BTW - Not to brag but when I saw Rush they changed Tom Sawyer's lyrics to my name - "_____ ______, AICP"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Unless said person is "The Most Interesting Man in the World", then yes, it's annoying.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Most of these stories have to be made up too, right? These people can't have THAT much happen to them.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Ahh, yes Penelope played by Kristen Wiig. One of the funnier characters from SNL in recent seasons. Not the best quality, but I hope this works...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5320839977330#

Off-topic:
    I posted a screengrab of Penelope in my member gallery but can't figure out how to attach it to a post.
    Why, you call that story topping do ye? What about the Four Yorkshiremen?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My wife is the ultimate story topper and for good reason. She grew up on a farm in Colombia. Her mother had eleven children and without a doctor. The guerrillas passes through their farm regularly. My wife got one toy during her whole childhood. Her big treat on her birthday was to get two eggs. She will tell you when she was a kid she cannot remember not being hungry. She never made less than a A in any subject and loved school (beat being put to work on the farm). Broke her arm and her father set it.

So no matter how tough you think you had it, she come back with a story that will probably break your heart.

She told a story a while back about one of her brothers and one of her sisters whose bus got stopped at a roadblock by the FARC (Colombian rebels). The bus was far enough back in the line that the rebels didn't see them slip off the bus and take off cross-country with all their baggage to the nearest town. Her sister was wearing a dress and heels and had to cross a river. It sounded like quite an ordeal. My wife thought it was funny.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    You know somebody like that ?
    Yeah, I know somebody like that. He likes to call me when it's 20F here and tell me that

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Most of these stories have to be made up too, right? These people can't have THAT much happen to them.
    Depends, I've had a pretty interesting existence during the past 5 years that include extensive/intensive travel through developing countries in the global south.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What is a story?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Aug 2008, 9:16 AM
  2. Tell us your survival story!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 6:26 PM
  3. How about story time?
    Friday Afternoon Club