Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Foreclosure - court ordered unlawful partition

Registered
    Aug 2009

Foreclosure - court ordered unlawful partition

Hello, friends.

I'm dealing with a property owner who owns a large tract of farmland. According to deed it is all one legal lot, even though it is composed of several tax lots (3). Approximately 20 year ago there was a sheriff's deed describing foreclosure proceedings, which resulted in a tax lot being deeded over to our State Dept of Water Resources. As far as we're concerned, this was an illegal separation, as they did not go through a formal partition with the County Planning Department (as unfair as it seems). In order to develop the parcel, the property owner will be required to go through a "validation plat" (i.e. apply for a land partition) to correct the illegal split.

Have you encountered a similar situation? What were the remedies for correcting the issue?
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I don't know what the reason was for the foreclosure, but being that it went to a public/government body the split would have been exempt from the plat act in IL. As such, the resulting lot would be a legally created parcel. Can you provide a little more explanation with regards to the foreclosure/sheriff's deed?

In Indiana, we wouldn't be able to 1) overrule a judge's legal order, and 2) require the state to meet local zoning requirements. I'd definitely discuss with your attorney any actions your department might take.
    No longer for better. No longer for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kltoomians View post
    Hello, friends.

I'm dealing with a property owner who owns a large tract of farmland. According to deed it is all one legal lot, even though it is composed of several tax lots (3). Approximately 20 year ago there was a sheriff's deed describing foreclosure proceedings, which resulted in a tax lot being deeded over to our State Dept of Water Resources. As far as we're concerned, this was an illegal separation, as they did not go through a formal partition with the County Planning Department (as unfair as it seems). In order to develop the parcel, the property owner will be required to go through a "validation plat" (i.e. apply for a land partition) to correct the illegal split.

Have you encountered a similar situation? What were the remedies for correcting the issue?
    This may not be OR-specific but I can't imagine too many states that allow this. Nonetheless, your Legal Dept should be handling this IMHO and maybe hopefully there's someone from OR on this board who can chime in.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jul 2013, 11:55 AM
  2. Subdivision Unlawful subdivision approval?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Sep 2012, 6:00 PM
  3. foreclosure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 May 2007, 12:13 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jan 2006, 11:16 AM
  5. Development ordered by court
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2