Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned ...

Registered
    Feb 2004

Today I learned ...

I did not know until today that the well-known short story author O. Henry served five years for embezzlement. I also wasn't aware of his connections with Austin, TX.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Until today- when my second-grader showed me - I didn't realize that you can see the statue of Abe Lincoln through the pillars of the Lincoln Memorial engraved on the backs of pennies. Freaky.

I want to believe.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Until today- when my second-grader showed me - I didn't realize that you can see the statue of Abe Lincoln through the pillars of the Lincoln Memorial engraved on the backs of pennies. Freaky.

I want to believe.
    I just investigated this and discovered that they recently changed the design of the penny. I did not know this yesterday.
    Check out the difference between 2006 and 2009, say.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Today I found out that there are 13 Yule Lads according to Icelandic tradition. One of the Yule Lades is named Sausage Swiper.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It takes a lot longer for TripAdvisor to ask you to verify a god-awful restaurant review than it does to verify a really good review. Like 48 hrs longer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Trace amounts of cayenne pepper can treat tendonitus but it burns like a (beep).
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Dec 2010
    APA does not update their AICP application update site often. I know they got my application, transcript and employment verification last week. Why do they not change my status?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Trace amounts of cayenne pepper can treat tendonitus but it burns like a (beep).
    Big infusions of cayenne will keep squirrels from eating your bird seed. Not.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I learned the different between freezing rain and sleet. Freezing rain is liquid first then freezes on the ground, sleet comes down frozen.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Yesterday I went to a mandatory application workshop for a particular grant - it taught us which line to put our jurisdiction's name, address, etc. I also learned there are some really stupid people out there that evidently need this workshop to be able to fill out the application.

Waste of time IMO.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    I learned that the population of our planet will reach 7 billion next year. I also learned that since I was born, the population of the earth has DOUBLED!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I also learned that since I was born, the population of the earth has DOUBLED!
    We know what you've been doing. Try doing something else, the planet can't take much more.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    What I learned today that I didn't know (cue music) Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away, Now it looks as though they're here to stay, Oh, I believe in yesterday.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by sequoianelf View post
    APA does not update their AICP application update site often. I know they got my application, transcript and employment verification last week. Why do they not change my status?
    Give it 6-12 weeks. Just don't call, some of them want to get in a nap in the afternoon.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Won't it also kill the birds eating it?
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Dec 2010 at 5:19 PM. Reason: seq. replies
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Won't it also kill the birds eating it?
    Both squirrels and birds taste better when infused with cayenne.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Thanks, Cletus.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Pre-seasoned. Yum.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Silk Screening Reflective (Caution) Signs

Problem: Big customer wants to purchase thousands of one of our brands of wet floor cones. Big customer wants top portion with reflective tape, because the cones will be oft-used in exterior locations (parking lots, for example).

Possible Solution: Can we silk screen the same colors, rather than using tape, to better handle the weather conditions?

What I Learned Today: Reflective colors have to be silk screened on a substrate that can absorb the ink. The reflective coloring comes from beads in the ink. The beads stay on the surface and the backer ink is absorbed into the substrate. That is why you can have reflective clothing that is silk screened......but not a plastic floor cone.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Yesterday I went to a mandatory application workshop for a particular grant - it taught us which line to put our jurisdiction's name, address, etc. I also learned there are some really stupid people out there that evidently need this workshop to be able to fill out the application.

Waste of time IMO.
    That reminds me of a SMARA workshop I went to. The first day was awesome, with lots of good information. The second day however...they let the administrative assistants have several hours. I knew we were in serious trouble when after a half hour, we were still going over page 2 of how to fill out a particularly unchallenging application form. Delusions of most boring meeting in the history of the world contest contestants, in between trying to pretend like I was falling asleep when really I was texting under the table.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    That I am over educated, underpaid, and not at all appreciated....

and the Dragon Lady wasn't so bad after all
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    That I am over educated, underpaid, and not at all appreciated....

and the Dragon Lady wasn't so bad after all
    One of the epiphany moments I had as a manager was when I realized that I needed to manage projects, not people. People are essentially unmanageable because they're are going to do what they do and, at best, you can point them in the right direction. I don't think most managers ever realize that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    What I Learned Today: Reflective colors have to be silk screened on a substrate that can absorb the ink. The reflective coloring comes from beads in the ink. The beads stay on the surface and the backer ink is absorbed into the substrate. That is why you can have reflective clothing that is silk screened......but not a plastic floor cone.

Bear
    That knowledge is sure to come in handy at some point for many of us. Thanks for sharing!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    One of the epiphany moments I had as a manager was when I realized that I needed to manage projects, not people. People are essentially unmanageable because they're are going to do what they do and, at best, you can point them in the right direction. I don't think most managers ever realize that.
    I came to that conclusion myself. Just keep me in the loop so when I get questions from my (our) higher ups I can give an intellegent answer. That and the big decisions are mine-budget, hiring, legal questions and the such.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Bronx Zoo once had a caged human on display.

"Ota Benga later ended up at the Bronx Zoo, where he was put on display in the monkey house. Although zoo director Hornaday insisted he was merely offering an 'intriguing exhibit' for the public's edification, he 'apparently saw no difference between a wild beast and the little Black man; for the first time in any American zoo, a human being was displayed in a cage. Benga was given cage-mates to keep him company in his captivity—a parrot and an Orangutan named Dohong'."

Source.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The Bronx Zoo once had a caged human on display.

"Ota Benga later ended up at the Bronx Zoo, where he was put on display in the monkey house. Although zoo director Hornaday insisted he was merely offering an 'intriguing exhibit' for the public's edification, he 'apparently saw no difference between a wild beast and the little Black man; for the first time in any American zoo, a human being was displayed in a cage. Benga was given cage-mates to keep him company in his captivity—a parrot and an Orangutan named Dohong'."

Source.
    OT: When I was a child, our family had a long layover in Phoenix, so my parents took us to the zoo. When we came to the coyote display, it was under renovation and the coyotes weren't there. Three workers looked up from their work, saw us and started yipping and howling. That really made the whole afternoon.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2012, 10:46 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Aug 2011, 4:50 PM
  3. Lessons Learned
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 8:04 PM