Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned ...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Today I learned that I really don't care for it when a person says to me, "You look tired." I know what I look like when I'm tired and it isn't pretty.

*puts self-esteem back in suitcase*

*places suitcase under giant boulder*

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just encountered the term 'astrobiology' for the first time. Apparently there are life forms (tardigrades) that can survive in space! Very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W194...ure=g-logo-xit

I also learned today that the first animal in space, the Russian dog 'Laika', did not return safely to earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWSY8ac6qE
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Just encountered the term 'astrobiology' for the first time. Apparently there are life forms (tardigrades) that can survive in space! Very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W194...ure=g-logo-xit

I also learned today that the first animal in space, the Russian dog 'Laika', did not return safely to earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWSY8ac6qE
    Astro was my favorite tardigrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcM4sOaXgmI
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Refrigeration technology is older than i thought
    http://www.rogersrefrig.com/history.html
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    This is what I learned today.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    This is what I learned today.
    You actually need to dig further into the definitions of "violent crime" to know what is included in each countries definition for a truly accurate comparison.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Today I learned that I really don't care for it when a person says to me, "You look tired." I know what I look like when I'm tired and it isn't pretty.

This happened to me in a zoning admin role...the cut was rendered by an outfront gay person that I think has some kind of agression issues.

After a request for a zoning enforcement action the supplicant (don't you love that term?) said, "You look spaced out!; maybe you're just tired; are you tired?"

It was 9 AM. I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and I decided the questioner was out-of-bounds and some weird kind of passive-aggressive.

Needless to say it dampened my incentive to go to bat.
    Last edited by Hink; 10 Jan 2013 at 9:13 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tags

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    On Monday I learned that the ED is not very skilled at running a spreadsheet or understanding a pro forma unless he dissects it and rearranges it to his liking while everyone sits around waiting patiently for the numbers to be correct.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Today I learned what is a Glaswegian Smile.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Yeah, and lots of winter coats are made in Viet Nam. What's yer point?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The city is still inept and my fiscal department is incompetent (still).
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    TIL my iPhone has native support for the Cherokee alphabet.

ᎧᏔᎧᎿᏀᏍᏜᏯᏯᎦᎭᎳᎹᎾᏆᏒᏑᏏᏎᏐᏛᏝ ᎢᎣᎤᎥᎩᎬᎦᎮᎲᎸᎷᎵᎺᎼᏅᏄᏊᏋᏉ

💩👠💔💪♻🔷

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    TIL most airports have baggage carousels that run only clockwise or counterclockwise. However, Buffalo goes both ways.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    So, yesterday was National Pie Day. Today is... Data Innovation Day. And the City of Palo Alto, CA (?!) is evidently one of the partner organizations in this, um, lively event.

January is a slow month.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    TIL most airports have baggage carousels that run only clockwise or counterclockwise. However, Buffalo goes both ways.
    AC/DC power?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    TIL Tim Horton Donuts' Roll Up The Rim contest always starts on the first Monday of the week of his death.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I learned that modelling agencies frequently hire out models to 'pretty up' parties at charity events and fundraisers. Big law firms and other large corporations will also do it for private company events/functions. I also learned the average salary of a model is about $36k. I bet a lot of models that attend those party events do it for social climbing purposes.

I had never heard that before but now that I think about it I may actually have seen a couple models at a fundraiser for an arts organzation a couple years ago. At any rate there were two 20-something women in attendance who were apparently single that looked a standard deviation better than all the usual 50+ money crowd that was in attendance.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus while still an undergraduate in college.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus while still an undergraduate in college.
    The word "calculus" comes from Latin (calculus) and means a small stone used for counting. Are we to infer that Newton had small stones?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hmmm. That was something I might expect from the airport in San Francisco.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Today I learned that if had to support myself as a house painter, I would starve and would have no for or .
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Today I learned that tourism and banking are the mainstays of the Anodorran economy. Used to be raising sheep and growing tobacco were the thing, but evidently that changed a few years ago.

Are you paying attention ursus? I certainly hope for your sake you are.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Today I learned that tourism and banking are the mainstays of the Anodorran economy. Used to be raising sheep and growing tobacco were the thing, but evidently that changed a few years ago.

Are you paying attention ursus? I certainly hope for your sake you are.
    Of course I am, I'm the ambassador, aren't I? Still, I'm glad to get the hard data, and I like to think that the uptick in tourism is in part due to our efforts here in the small but vibrant nation state of Cyburbia to raise awareness of Andorran Awesomeness. Andorra is almost our sister nation, being also small and only slightly less vibrant. I may don my traditional Andorran Mountain Garb and hold a press conference but I've gained a little weight and the ursine booty isn't fitting in those woolly breeches like it did when I took the post.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2012, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Aug 2011, 5:50 PM
  3. Lessons Learned
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 9:04 PM
  4. Learned about the position...