Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The oldest coin in your pocket/purse

Registered
    Nov 2009

The oldest coin in your pocket/purse

I just found a 1969 dime in my purse. It is 9 years older than I am. Most of my coins were from the 1970s and 1980s surprisingly.

What is the oldest coin on you? Anyone carrying around something older than 1969?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I just found a 1969 dime in my purse. It is 9 years older than I am. Most of my coins were from the 1970s and 1980s surprisingly.

What is the oldest coin on you? Anyone carrying around something older than 1969?
    The oldest coin I am carrying is a 1964 nickel. The oldest thing I am carrying around is me, ca. 1950.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm a reformed coin collector, so the oldest coin I have dates back to 1853
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Right now, it's a well worn (aka "VG" graded ) 1970 Philadelphia Mint quarter.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Nothing too old in coins in my pocket - a 1989 penny. I do however have three $2 bills from 1976 in my wallet.

Like Whose Yur Planner though, I am a bit of a coin collector. The oldest coins I have are a few three-cent pieces from the 1850s and 1860s and some half dimes from the 1840s.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Not much change on me at the moment, I have a George Castanza wallet and typically have $3 in change on me. At the moment, only $1.12. The oldest coin is a tie between a 1982 Canadian nickel and a 1982 US penny.

It's not at all unusual for folks in Michigan to use Canadian pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters - they're pretty much interchangeable and taken at face value regardless of the exchange rate at any given time (hell, it's just change). It would raise eyebrows, though, if you tried to pay for something using loonies (and yet, everyone seems to have some ). I remember when I worked at an ice cream store years ago I overheard a guy saying to another customer that his family just drove up from North Carolina. When he paid for his ice cream I gave him change which happened to include a Canadian quarter. He stared at it, got an outraged look on his face and demanded 'Murrican money, dammit'! like I was trying to swindle him. Maybe it's because Michigan is a border state that we see so much Canadian coinage, but I thought it was pretty common elsewhere throughout the States, and a Canadian quarter wouldnt faze anyone (even back in the 80's). Isn't that your impression as well?

On the other hand, you don't see folks trying to pass off pesos in our southern border states, do you?
    Last edited by Maister; 16 Dec 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I don't have any change in my pocket right now. Every evening I dump my change into a pitcher on the buffet at home and I haven't bought anything yet this morning to get change. For some reason though I have a 1994 nickel in my desk drawer and a couple pennies, but they're not as old.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    I actually have one of the bicentennial quarters in my pocket. So either '75 or '76.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1986 penny. Not that old I guess, even I'm older.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I thought it was going to be the 1966 quarter, no mint mark but it turns out that I also had a 1963 Denver penny. When I see older coins, I always think that some kid must have found his dad's coin collection.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I thought it was going to be the 1966 quarter, no mint mark but it turns out that I also had a 1963 Denver penny. When I see older coins, I always think that some kid must have found his dad's coin collection.
    I usually think the same thing. How else do you explain wheat pennies in decent condition that circulate their way into your posession.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My oldest a 1981 nickel
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I usually think the same thing. How else do you explain wheat pennies in decent condition that circulate their way into your posession.
    Both coins are in pretty unworn condition with much of their original sheen. Makes me think that they never spent much pocket time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In the USA, regularly seen 'common and normal' circulation coins of the current denominations started in:

-1¢ - 1959 ('Weaties' started in 1909, all bronze varieties after 1936 are considered to be common and are frequently seen in circulation)
    -5¢ - 1938
    -10¢, 25¢ - 1965 (90% silver composition ended with 1964-dated production)
    -$1 - 1979 (first 'small' dollars - 'SBA' design produced 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1999, various designs of brass-clad from 2000 on).

The oldest (and by far the most interesting to me) coin that I got from circulation within the past month or so was a 1943-S WWII 'Steelie' 1¢ in change from a local Subway. I have a couple of well-worn 1965 quarters in my car cup right now (the stories that they could tell it they could talk... )

A side note, I'm seeing a LOT of brilliant-uncirculated early-date State Quarters around here these days. That program produced a LOT of coins over ten years and it will take many more years for the needs of commerce to use them all up - expect very small annual production totals for USA quarters for the next 5-10 years as a result.

I'd like to see what the non-USAians in the crowd have in their pockets and purses, too.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2003
    the oldest coin in my pocket today is a penny from 1969 - a "love penny" perhaps?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Oldest coin and thing on me is a 1970 quarter.

Oldest coin I own is a 1906 penny.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is pretty rare for me to find a wheat penny anymore, although they were common enough when I was a kid (60's/70's). I have a pretty decent collection, with the oldest coin being an 1817 large cent.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have a teenager. There's never any money of any kind in my wallet. She pilfers it all and I do 99% of my spending with the debit card.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    The oldest coil in my pocket is a 1993 quarter. Not so exciting. I inherited my father's coin collection a few years ago, though, and my son has been taking it over a little at a time as we allow (at 10, he is "fairly" responsible). I think the oldest thing in there is from the 1880s but possibly the 1860's. Pennies (giant ones) and quarters as I recall (seated lady on front, eagle on back - I think they called the quarter backs). We also have a slew of silver dollars from the 1920s.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Coins have just recently started to fascinate me. Perhaps those of you who possess some 19th century and early 20th century coins will post pictures for us?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Coins have just recently started to fascinate me. Perhaps those of you who possess some 19th century and early 20th century coins will post pictures for us?
    I would but they are in cases and holders. That makes them hard to read in the best of circumstances.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    I usually dont carry coins in my purse
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm so poor I don't have any coins.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I used to be an avid coin collector as a kid; as avid as my meager allowance would let me be. I was a bit jealous of kids who grew up in the 1950s, when 19th century coins and coins that aren't the usual Presidential design were still in circulation.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004

Grrrr!

I spent 6 months looking through thousands of quarters before doing my laundry at the local laundromat (before I figured out I could get my own washer/drier) looking for a damn pre 1964 silver quarter I still to this day haven't found one I don't carry change anymore, it makes me jingle too much I throw all my change in a coffee can, then trade it in for beer at the end of the month.
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What do we think of the US $1 coin?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 8:55 AM
  2. The Purse Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 9:23 AM