Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Professional Drivers' War on Articles

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The Professional Drivers' War on Articles

In the past couple of years, I've noticed a strange grammatical trend among those that drive for a living, no matter what the vehicle is. Instead of one saying that they are a "truck driver" or that they "drive trucks", instead they say "I drive truck" for a living, dropping the pronoun. Same thing with people who "drive bus", "drive taxi", "drive wheelchair van", and the like.

Imagine a blue-shirt, khaki-panted man telling others that "I plan city", or an architect that says "I design building." Doesn't sound right, does it? So, why do people that drive vehicles for a living drop the pronoun? I have no idea. I'm guessing it's so they can sound like an insider of sorts. What say you?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    So, why do people that drive vehicles for a living drop the pronoun?
    Off-topic:
    is this you nec209?

ducks and covers
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    In the past couple of years, I've noticed a strange grammatical trend among those that drive for a living, no matter what the vehicle is. Instead of one saying that they are a "truck driver" or that they "drive trucks", instead they say "I drive truck" for a living, dropping the pronoun. Same thing with people who "drive bus", "drive taxi", "drive wheelchair van", and the like.

Imagine a blue-shirt, khaki-panted man telling others that "I plan city", or an architect that says "I design building." Doesn't sound right, does it? So, why do people that drive vehicles for a living drop the pronoun? I have no idea. I'm guessing it's so they can sound like an insider of sorts. What say you?
    How long have you been back in Buffalo, Dan? Could it be another infamous "Buffalo-ism"? I hadn't noticed it, but I'll pay more attention now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Can't say I've noticed it. Maybe I'm just not around enough people who drive truck.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It's been around for years. I think it's an insider thing, and maybe a bit of a class thing, too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is not something I have noticed around those of us that drive Subaru. I wonder if it also holds true for people who ride bike.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Me notice people driving truck. Not so good english. Talk wrong and things.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've never heard that around here.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Being around people who drive truck, I hear it often. I can't explain it though. Sometimes, I too, drive truck. Happily, I usually operate "equipment", which is already a plural as well as a singular word. (Although, in college, I did have an instructor, who was a native of Bulgaria, that often referred to "equipments", but I digress...)

Me notice people driving truck. Not so good english. Talk wrong and things.
    Me notice none of the planners caught Dan's error.

It's either the article "a" (I drive a truck), or the "s" indicating the plural form (I drive trucks), that's being dropped. The only pronoun in those examples is the personal pronoun "I".
    Proudly spending today building the dilapidated housing stock of the 22nd century.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    That's common usage around here, too.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have noticed in different parts of the country where I have worked, but primarily by truck drivers, their families or people who work in truck stops. I have not noticed the term used by bus drivers, cab drivers or others who drive a vehicle for a living. But that is just my limited exposure. I do admit that it caught me by surprise when I first heard "drive truck". But somewhat off topic I text the same way

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 5:01 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 2:06 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Oct 2004, 9:33 AM
  4. Bad Drivers or Bad Design?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 6:42 PM