Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Asking for an interview

Registered
    Dec 2008

Asking for an interview

I am curious on some advice in calling someone involved with the candidate selection for a city job and actually asking for an interview. On one side I feel it shows enthusiasm and effort but on the other it is for a city job and I don't know if that they have procedure to follow and may not be able to make that decision when asked. I am qualified and meet all of the posted needs and requirements of the position. I have called to follow up twice already and been given answers to my questions and expressed my interest. Any input or advice would be appreciated. I know that they plan on conducting interviews soon after the new year.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Don't. Just because you think your are qualified doesn't mean you fit what they are looking for. If they didn't call you for an interview there is probably a reason. Even if you could do the job, again that doesn't mean you are right for their position.

Send a thank you letter and move on. If someone doesn't want you, they aren't going to all of a sudden want you just because you asked. Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2007
    You'll probably get many opinions on this, most that will say "don't"...

Here's mine... Go for it, but use caution with a high level of self judgment. As someone who hires for a government planning agency, I've had people do this. I'm willing to listen if people are willing to take the effort to try, because it does take some guts to call out of the blue and pitch yourself. In all instances, these people applied but were told they didn't qualify by HR. HR has no clue what planning related positions do, and is really looking for key words in the app to determine eligibility. I've had very good candidates dropped at the initial screening because they didn't use the right word, or their title in a former job doesn't match what my HR has. So, go ahead and try if you feel comfortable, and confident in your abilities as they relate to the position.

Now for my caveat... think long and hard before you do this, because your sales pitch or interview may be the only opportunity you have, and if you blow it, or misrepresent yourself, memories don't fade! A mis-step here will likely ruin any future chance of seeking employment with this agency, or these people in the planning dept. And people do switch jobs, so they can spread it to other places in the future. This is one reason why I'm against applying for a job if you aren't serious about taking the job if offered. Don't interview for practice! They'll always remember the guy that was offered the job and didn't take it, or the guy who begged for an interview, got one, and then proceeded to blow the interview!

They'll always remember the guy that was offered the job and didn't take it, or the guy who begged for an interview, got one, and then proceeded to blow the interview!
    "The guy who was offered the job and didn't take it"? Where's the crime in not accepting an offer? An applicant may have several offers to weigh at a time, and it's a little conceited to think you, as one employer, will always be the best choice for a highly-qualified applicant.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Don't ask for it. They will ask you. You have to EARN an interview.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    "The guy who was offered the job and didn't take it"? Where's the crime in not accepting an offer? An applicant may have several offers to weigh at a time, and it's a little conceited to think you, as one employer, will always be the best choice for a highly-qualified applicant.
    There's no crime in that at all. I should have added the context of locality. If a person is trying to get to a certain location, or wants to seek different opportunities in their same location, don't blow it. The planning world is a relatively small one. People often apply for jobs for interview practice, to get their name out there, and other reasons without having any real intention of taking the job (assuming they don't need the job applying for). So I'm just saying, if offered, be prepared to accept (or turn it down for good reason). Don't apply for a job in your dream location thinking they'll remember your name later. It may hurt your chances.

Registered
    May 2005
    Why do people over think this stuff?

I went on so may GD interviews before I got my current position (granted, this was 5 years ago).

Not once did I consider some of the half-baked crap some of the people on this forum suggest.

If your resume isn't cutting it, what the hell does that tell you??????????

There's no magic effing solution, except to make yourself more marketable.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've been applying to several different places for jobs in the past few weeks even though I'm currently employed. I found one particular job that I am very high on landing and think I would be perfect for. I sent a well-worded e-mail to the director of the division that the position would be in and did essentially ask for an interview. She responded back politely that they had to go through the process but I used the opportunity to respond to further build some rapport and lay out my qualifications and allay any concerns about potential weaknesses. Well, I got a positive response back and they called me yesterday to set up a phone interview. I'm not sure if my requesting an interview helped me but it certainly didn't seem to hurt.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The interview you'd like to have...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 1:20 PM
  2. Interview for job I may not want
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 3:12 PM
  3. Replies: 9