Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Student question: construction cost breakout

Registered
    Dec 2010

Student question: construction cost breakout

I'm researching construction costs for buildings with underground parking. 1. is it typical for the sq.ft. of the parking to be included in the average cost per square foot? 2. are parking garage costs typically separated in bond issues or construction contracts from the above ground "livable" building square footage?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mnesterak View post
    I'm researching construction costs for buildings with underground parking. 1. is it typical for the sq.ft. of the parking to be included in the average cost per square foot? 2. are parking garage costs typically separated in bond issues or construction contracts from the above ground "livable" building square footage?
    Assuming the structured parking requirement is met on the same parcel as the building, yes to 1 and no to 2 (with some exceptions). Be sure to adjust out unnecessary MEP and finishing costs and the like for the structured parking component, or you'll overshoot the estimate (I made this mistake once and got in some doodoo over it). Note that while the costs include the parking, the GFA figure for the building typically will not (this does vary a bit by local convention, of course), so the cost of the structured parking often just shows up as a higher cost per GFA. There may be some differing opinions here on this latter point (I've seen it done differently, especially in the Southeast, for some reason, where people have on occasion counted structured space in the GFA). One obvious exception to this GFA rule is massing/FAR compliance, of course, especially if any part of your underground garage comes above ground.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 04 Jan 2011 at 11:15 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Aug 2011, 5:31 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 6:14 PM
  4. Cost of Construction of Streets...
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jul 2002, 4:08 PM