Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you a building inspector too?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have at least one certification as a building inspector

0 0%
  • No, that is someone elses job

4 57.14%
  • Why do you hate America So Much?

1 14.29%
  • I'm with RJ and won't dignify this thread with a response.

2 28.57%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Membership in Building Inspection Trades

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Membership in Building Inspection Trades

I've decided to study for and take the 2009 IRC (B-1) and 2009 IBC (B-2) Building Inspection Exams sometime in 2011, in order to better myself on building construction/inspection codes. This won't cost a lot and will provide me with some knowledge I've desired for a long time. Our building department reports to me, so it will help me communicate at their level.

How about you? Are you certified in any of the building inspection areas? Is it the International Codes or a specific state code (New York, California, Florida...)? Keeping up with this type of certification isn't expensive either at something like $30 every two years.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Go for it. There have been several times that I wish I did. Caution: don't let the inspection staff know about it until you are certain you passed.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Go for it. There have been several times that I wish I did. Caution: don't let the inspection staff know about it until you are certain you passed.
    Agreed on all.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha ha ha......

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Not only do they know about it, but I fully expect them to walk me through each chapter and do a great job of cross training the boss (me). I plan on taking several months to become familiar with the residential code first then by the end of 2011 I'll tackle the full building code. Remember, these are open book exams we are talking about.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Don't let the open book fool you, from what I've seen the mechanical\electrical\plumbing subtrade exams can be a killer. If you're not familiar with the terminology or how the code book is broken down, you'll spend the entire time hunting and pecking for answers. However, I have to say that the ICC Zoning Inspector, Permit Technician, and Property Maintenance were quite easy. A manager such as yourself should make the building official certification your goal

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 2:26 PM
  2. Trades of March
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Mar 2006, 10:00 AM
  3. Trades
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 12:05 PM