Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Years

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

New Years

Since I'm out tomorrow-y'all have a happy, safe and blessed new years.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Happy New Year Cyburbia! Me and the BF plan on getting liquored up at home and watching the ball drop on TV. If you are going out, be safe!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Ending the old year here with the wife in California before heading back to Dallas.

Throbbing brian of Cyburbia, have I extended 2010 by two hours, shortened 2011 by teh same, or neither?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Single guy at home and sober (18 yrs now) on a friday night.

Is that a life or what ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I will be working.

If I wasn't, I'd probably either be at home or at someone else's house eating, drinking, and watching TV. And I s'pose I can always do that some other night. Not a big fan of going out on New Years...too expensive, too many crowds, and too risky. So, really, I'm not missing out that much.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

Is that a life or what ?
    You seriously do not let a single opportunity pass without bringing this up! Impressive!

Me, wifey and the girls will just be spending the evening at my MIL's and her husband's. There will be plenty of alcohol available to get me through the night.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    My wife has to work her normal shift Friday night/Saturday morning, and then picked up an extra shift Saturday afternoon. The joys of working for the state abuse hotline...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about married gal at home and (most likely) sober on a Friday night?

I am looking forward to saying sayonara to 2010, probably around 9 or 10 pm tonight. Maybe we will watch a movie, if we can stay awake that long.

At least I have the excuse that I am getting up early on New Year's Day to go birding.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Happy New Year

This Bear and Katie will be home, again. Gone are the days of bar-hopping, party-going, funny hats and comical blow thingys, followed by the traditional (insert approved by RJ celebratory drink/toast name) guzzle.

The big question: Can I make it to Midnight?

I will drink a Rolling Rock or two/three/four and enjoy the evening.

Happy New Year to all!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're going out to watch the beach ball drop, come back home to watch some pron, read erotic stories out loud to each other, and stay up to the wee hours before we go to bed.

And if you believe that, I've got an unbuilt condo future on the beach to sell you.

Happy New Years, everybody.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    RT is spending the night at her friend's house. The SO and I will be staying in, watching something on the tube, and trying to make it until midnight.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    ... The SO and I will be staying in, watching something on the tube, and trying to make it until midnight.
    What?!? When did this happen??

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We ate, we drank, we toasted...
    with a wonderful group of friends!!!

Mrs. P did not get out of bed on Saturday. Wee P and I went to a friends house and she played witht he other kiddies and us guys watched football all day.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Stayed in to avoid the drunk crazies. Had a very nice dinner, finished the wine while watching a movie, saw the ball drop and went to bed. I was alseep by about 12:30, hubby a bit earlier.
    Had to get up NYD for a wedding. It was a full communion Hispanic wedding, so long service and very long reception. Ate up the whole day. Hubby stayed home and watched football.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We had a Thailand inspired New Years and celebrated at noon (it was midnight in Bangkok) with a couple of my wife's friends and their husbands and children all at our house for lunch of pad Thai, Thai iced tea and a few other favorites. We figured that since we all have children under 3-years-old, this would give us a chance to still celebrate the occasion but not worry about babysitters or being out late, etc.

In the evening the wife and I stayed home of course and watched a movie and then the ball drop. I use having a baby as an excuse to stay in on New Years Eve but I honestly never really enjoyed going out on that night. But one of the small towns with a good downtown right near my house decided to start a new outdoors party complete with live entertainment this year which actually looked sort of fun so maybe we will try that next year. I was surprised that they drew a crowd of a few thousand with little promotion for their first year, but weather in the 50s at midnight probably didn't hurt things for them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Ugh, why does rum always give me heartburn! I should have learned from college, stick with Vodka. We had a great time watching the ball and acorn drop side by side on the tube.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Ugh, why does rum always give me heartburn! I should have learned from college, stick with Vodka. We had a great time watching the ball and acorn drop side by side on the tube.
    Or mix the two. You know I have never heard anyone say, boy the long island was X. Usually they don't remember. I say go with that

I stayed home with the kid while the wife worked. Oh how NYE is so much fun for this partier
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We had an impromptu party for New Year's Eve at my apartment. It is one of the few dog-friendly buildings in Honolulu. Since nearly everyone in the building has a dog and all our poor pooches freak out from the new year bang-bangs, we decided to gate off the top floor cat-walk and everyone brought their pooches up to run around together. I think the spontaneous dog party helped ease the anxiety of nearly all the canine party-goers , which allowed the human companions to focus on alcohol and good conversation, a rare occasion for dog-owners on holidays involving fire-works.

Good times were had by human and canine alike.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Triathlon

Started out at Tuba New Year in K'zoo. Rehearsal, then a concert.

From there I zipped over to Holland to be one of the three callers for a contra dance. Our event has been discovered by teens and homeschool families, some of whom drive an hour for our fun wholesome entertainment. We supplied some party hats, tiaras, and noisemakers.

Thence to favorite city's downtown, where we enjoyed 50° temps, probably 40,000 people, and a ball drop. Lit-up sousaphone was a big hit.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Oct 2013, 4:31 PM
  2. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 6:06 PM
  3. 9-11 seven years later
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Sep 2008, 12:54 PM