Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Non planning background + planning postgrad degree

Non planning background + planning postgrad degree

I'm in a rather unusual situation- my first degree is a BSc in Government and History at the LSE- and I've applied for MSc Urban Regeneration at UCL and MPhil Planning, Regeneration and Growth at Cambridge- largely in part due to having worked on the political side of planning and transport issues in the Greater London Authority and the House of Lords last year + reading a lot of what LSE Cities produces in terms of research material.

Is there actually any point in pursuing planning at a postgraduate level without a first degree in planning or geography? I would rather avoid being unemployable due to the lack of an RTPI accredited first degree, or a lack of what they call 'professional experience' i.e. not being an architect, urban geographer or planner in the first instance....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Depends what you want to do. But a strong 1-year intro to the field of study in the MSc program, giving you accreditation and a year to decide if you want to go into research or practice seems like a no-brainer to me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. IT background looking for planning career
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Oct 2006, 1:56 PM
  3. Planning background, currently in GIS
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 10:03 PM