Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: America's most forgotten cities

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Quad Cities is another metro area that is ignored. I have had several people not know what the Quad Cities were when I mentioned them.
    I know the quad city DJs but what is the quad cities? Seriously?

I am going to throw out the Biggest Little City in the World: Reno (Reno 911 aside). Really, how often do you hear about this place.

As for my hometown Sacramento (yes, I grew up here for almost 13 years of my life), a lot of people know about Sac outside of California. It is the freakin state capital. It is home of the kings and brought the world this great band called Cake. History and railroad buffs alone will keep this place alive damn it.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I am going to throw out the Biggest Little City in the World: Reno (Reno 911 aside). Really, how often do you hear about this place?
    Not much. I think it was probably better known by older generations; it was once more prominent than Las Vegas, and it was famous for the Reno divorce.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Off-topic:
    This speaks volumes.
    And your point?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I know the quad city DJs but what is the quad cities? Seriously?

I am going to throw out the Biggest Little City in the World: Reno (Reno 911 aside). Really, how often do you hear about this place.

As for my hometown Sacramento (yes, I grew up here for almost 13 years of my life), a lot of people know about Sac outside of California. It is the freakin state capital. It is home of the kings and brought the world this great band called Cake. History and railroad buffs alone will keep this place alive damn it.
    Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. It's a metro area of about 400,000 people. But,not noticed much, even in the Midwest.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    What would make people know about Sacramento?
    When I think of Sacramento, I think of that big city you drive by to get to San Francisco from the East. I also think of Geothermal Energy, isn't a lot of that city powered by the largest geothermal power facility in the USA? Oh sprawl, huge deficits, lousy basketball and heat also......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. It's a metro area of about 400,000 people. But,not noticed much, even in the Midwest.
    But, it's the home of John Deere! And those guys from that show "American Pickers"!

But yeah, it's pretty forgotten.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    When I think of Sacramento, I think of that big city you drive by to get to San Francisco from the East. I also think of Geothermal Energy, isn't a lot of that city powered by the largest geothermal power facility in the USA? Oh sprawl, huge deficits, lousy basketball and heat also......
    When I think of 'Sacramento', besides 'state capitol' and 'NBA team that may be about to move', I think of things that are mostly more historic in nature, such as the transcontinental railroad, as well as from a modern railfan perspective, the big Union Pacific facilities in suburban Roseville, and the gold rush. The famous Folsom State Prison is in the Sacramento suburbs, too, as is Beale AFB (former home of the SR-71s).

Sacramento and San Francisco were the state's early population and commercial center anchors, back when Los Angeles was a tiny, dusty agricultural town.

BTW, Rush Limbaugh likes to frequently reference the 'fashionable' Sacramento suburb of Rio Linda, CA on his show (he once worked in Sacramento and considers it to be his "adopted home town").

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    But, it's the home of John Deere! And those guys from that show "American Pickers"!

But yeah, it's pretty forgotten.
    Sometimes I wish I could forget. But who can forget this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...titute/278701/

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Beale AFB (former home of the SR-71s).
    Aww.. yes, Beale, middle of BFE (well at least when i lived there for 4 years). My father had the privilege to work there as a part of CE squad helping to design runways specially for this group, as well as the U2 spy plane. The base was so remote you can do all kinds of fun things as a 5 year old kid. Nearing my father's retirement from the AF, we bought a home in the quaint, railroad town Roseville so he could commute back and forth on the country roads. Now it is considered the OC of the north state. Go figure.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    BTW, Rush Limbaugh likes to frequently reference the 'fashionable' Sacramento suburb of Rio Linda, CA on his show (he once worked in Sacramento and considers it to be his "adopted home town").
    My fav rush quip for this area is the "people's republic of davis" so true on so many levels (even though i don't agree with the guy 99.5% of the time, this is the .5% i agree with as well as the "fashionable" suburb of Rio Lina.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    San Bernardino, Oxnard, Salinas, Fremont, Chula Vista, and Santa Ana are some forgotten cities.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    San Bernardino, Oxnard, Salinas, Fremont, Chula Vista, and Santa Ana are some forgotten cities.
    They are also mostly suburbs or exurbs of major cities or are not large enough to be considered "forgotten".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I think a good portion of the Jersey shore was on its way to being forgotten until MTV invaded and seared a new image into our brains. Now it may be more appropriate to other kind of Most _____ Cities.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    They are also mostly suburbs or exurbs of major cities or are not large enough to be considered "forgotten".
    Larger than Reno which was mentioned.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cities must be generally known before they can be forgotten.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I had the perfect City to add to the list, but I forgot its name!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Larger than Reno which was mentioned.
    Except that Reno has a national presence.... no outside of California cares at all about those cities... I would guess that many in California don't care about those cities...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Except that Reno has a national presence.... no outside of California cares at all about those cities... I would guess that many in California don't care about those cities...
    Santa Ana doesn't have a national pressence? How about being the seat of Orange County that has over two million people living in the county and then there is Anaheim home of Disneyland.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Santa Ana doesn't have a national presence?
    Where?

Quote Originally posted by urban19
    Anaheim home of Disneyland.
    Quote Originally posted by urban19
    Where is Anaheim in this list? I know of Anaheim because of the Mighty Ducks. Although you might think obscure California cities have any national presence just because they are large, does not mean that anyone outside of California cares about them. Perspective is key, which from all your posts seems to be a good lesson to learn.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Santa Ana doesn't have a national pressence?
    Where?

Sure it has presence....

It's a official control city of Interstate 5...

and who can forget this classic...

Hey...see.. verse 2... They cruz where, Santa Ana.

Full circle HP.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Santa Ana also is famous for the "Santa Ana winds", which are notorious for causing wildfires. It is also really big...almost kind of like Mesa, AZ. Even though there's not much going on there, it's still notable for being a massive boomburb.

San Bernardino is somewhat prominent for being the hub of the Inland Empire metropolitan region, which contains almost 5 million people. I believe it was also the site of the first McDonald's, even though Des Plaines, IL was the site of the first franchise.

Chula Vista and San Bernardino may also be noteworthy among concertgoers, for being the sites of amphitheaters. The one near San Bernardino is the largest in North America.

Salinas has the National John Steinbeck Center.

Oxnard and Fremont are not really notable for anything.

I can see where all of these cities could be easily forgotten, though.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Santa Ana also is famous for the "Santa Ana winds", which are notorious for causing wildfires. It is also really big...almost kind of like Mesa, AZ. Even though there's not much going on there, it's still notable for being a massive boomburb.

San Bernardino is somewhat prominent for being the hub of the Inland Empire metropolitan region, which contains almost 5 million people. I believe it was also the site of the first McDonald's, even though Des Plaines, IL was the site of the first franchise.

Chula Vista and San Bernardino may also be noteworthy among concertgoers, for being the sites of amphitheaters. The one near San Bernardino is the largest in North America.

Salinas has the National John Steinbeck Center.

Oxnard and Fremont are not really notable for anything.

I can see where all of these cities could be easily forgotten, though.
    You are correct those things are in those cities. But to be fair to the term "National Presence" I wouldn't include much of those things, since a niche group of people would know that. I was mainly being facetious, because I have heard of all those cities and know a bit about them, but the average person wouldn't. My argument (as many others have pointed out) is that cities that aren't known Nationally, cannot be forgotten.

That and there are important things outside of California. Not attacking any of our lovely Cali residents (here's looking at you Raf ) just stating that a larger perspective is necessary.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    You are correct those things are in those cities. But to be fair to the term "National Presence" I wouldn't include much of those things, since a niche group of people would know that. I was mainly being facetious, because I have heard of all those cities and know a bit about them, but the average person wouldn't. My argument (as many others have pointed out) is that cities that aren't known Nationally, cannot be forgotten.

That and there are important things outside of California. Not attacking any of our lovely Cali residents (here's looking at you Raf ) just stating that a larger perspective is necessary.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I guess only including cities with a "national presence" would probably limit things down to maybe only 40 to 50 cities or so. And at that point, how many people would really forget those 40 or 50cities? I think you can develop a much broader list when you include places that may be notable and large in their own states and within certain circles.

Take a look at the first 7 posts of this thread...none of those forgotten cities have much of a national presence either.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I guess only including cities with a "national presence" would probably limit things down to maybe only 40 to 50 cities or so. And at that point, how many people would really forget those 40 or 50cities? I think you can develop a much broader list when you include places that may be notable and large in their own states and within certain circles.

Take a look at the first 7 posts of this thread...none of those forgotten cities have much of a national presence either.
    Off-topic:
    Point taken. Maybe I am just letting a certain perspective annoy me too much. Point to IP. That makes it HP - 10 , IP - 1 in the "I am Right" game.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Point taken. Maybe I am just letting a certain perspective annoy me too much.
    Probably because a certain poster only brings a single lens narrowed view to things because for all intensive purposes, nothing exists outside the bubble of that user.

Registered
    May 2005
    Probably because a certain poster only brings a single lens narrowed view to things because for all intensive purposes, nothing exists outside the bubble of that user.
    Why you gotta talk about me like that Raf????

You don't wanna pick a fight with a warlock dude.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 4:38 AM
  2. America's most drunk cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 6:49 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 9:53 PM
  4. Replies: 46