Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: America's most forgotten cities

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Why you gotta talk about me like that Raf????

You don't wanna pick a fight with a warlock dude.
    "Look what I'm, dealing with, man, I'm dealing with fools and trolls."
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Cyburbia Forum rules state:

2.11 Single issue posters / one-trick ponies
    The Forums are not intended to furnish people with a venue for single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda. Staff may ask users to limit or refrain from posting on a certain topic.

Emphasis mine.

urban19: for the remainder of March, you are to refrain from discussing San Luis Obispo or retail development.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Probably because a certain poster only brings a single lens narrowed view to things because for all intensive purposes, nothing exists outside the bubble of that user.
    Maybe this user would if the people talking weren't all old negative and opinionated. And what is with you posting every other post about me? Are you gay? Do you like to stalk other guy's post?

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Santa Ana also is famous for the "Santa Ana winds", which are notorious for causing wildfires. It is also really big...almost kind of like Mesa, AZ. Even though there's not much going on there, it's still notable for being a massive boomburb.

San Bernardino is somewhat prominent for being the hub of the Inland Empire metropolitan region, which contains almost 5 million people. I believe it was also the site of the first McDonald's, even though Des Plaines, IL was the site of the first franchise.

Chula Vista and San Bernardino may also be noteworthy among concertgoers, for being the sites of amphitheaters. The one near San Bernardino is the largest in North America.

Salinas has the National John Steinbeck Center.

Oxnard and Fremont are not really notable for anything.

I can see where all of these cities could be easily forgotten, though.
    Yeah, I think at least Santa Ana and Anaheim which have some national pressence get forgetten. I suppose the others I mentioned are too small to have a national pressence. Also, Long Beach and Oakland are often forgotten.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    Maybe this user would if the people talking weren't all old negative and opinionated. And what is with you posting every other post about me? Are you gay? Do you like to stalk other guy's post?
    Off-topic:

I'm gay. I don't stalk other women's post. I fail to see how the two are related. Being straight, do you stalk women's post? Let's keep the playground insults out of the threads.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Are you gay? Do you like to stalk other guy's post?
    What does being gay have anything to do with this? What are you 8? That's Busch league material dude. It's hate mongering words at it's best. Completely childish. Serious, look at all your posts they are either:

a) about slo
    b) about retail
    c) about California

So one assumes this is your knowledge box. Just hope when you sign up for classes in the fall you don't take a class that says "staff". You never know who you might get as a professor....
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    urban19, we've got the "gag order" in place because other Cyburbians have been getting snarky towards you over your many posts on SLO and retail development. We want to make sure Cyburbia is an enjoyable experience for you and everyone else. Everybody has their favorite topics of discussion, but when yours are turning into inside jokes, something's very wrong.

If you're discussing other subjects that might not be so close to your heart for a while, perhaps other members won't react the way they do to your posts; thus, the gag order. I requested that other members ease off the snark in the Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own thread.

Also, there's many GLBT Cyburbians. They're no more prone to stalking than heterosexual members of this community. That comment wasn't necessary, and could be considered name-calling given its context. EDIT: consider this a warning: don't do it again. It's disrespectful of your peers here who may be gay, and it's also so high elementary school.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ...Long Beach and Oakland are often forgotten.
    SWING and a miss...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Also, Long Beach and Oakland are often forgotten.
    Ummm no. May I ask on what are you basing this assumption?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    As far as I am concerned this is a world of free speech. If you are going to allow Raf to say bad things about me, then I have the right to defend myself and say bad things back. As far as I'm concerned the law of the Constitution would back me up on free speech.

I don't really care about whose on these forums or who my professor might be because I am sticking up for myself and what I believe or my opinion is. Raf has no respect for me and even if he doesn't like my closed-mindness that does not give him a right to go on and on about it. I obviously know he doesn't like it. I am not going to change who I am for him. I obviously see no one on these forums is hearing my concern of disrespect from members on this forum, so I am going to being un-active on these forums except for pming the people who are mature and respectful. And let me tell there are people on this forum who are sick of the immaturity of members and they aren't as open about it as I am.

One last comment, you get on my case for using the word "gay", but yet Raf posted a video that insults communists which is making fun of a certain political party.

Quote Originally posted by NickSticks View post
    Ummm no. May I ask on what are you basing this assumption?
    Because there is LA which is more well-known and then San Francisco which is more well-known.
    Last edited by mendelman; 10 Mar 2011 at 9:08 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    From my point of view here in NE Wisconsin, the ENTIRE 'Basin', from Camp Pendleton through San Bernardino and to at least Thousand Oaks, is the Los Angeles metro area. It is only when I 'zoom in on the map' that places like Anaheim, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Riverside, Ventura and so forth start to emerge.

Ditto the area south of Camp Pendleton - Metro San Diego.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. It's a metro area of about 400,000 people. But,not noticed much, even in the Midwest.
    Ah, a place I've been to many times in my youth. I had family in Moline, and other family outside of the Quad Cities metro area. Sadly, that family link is gone, and I haven't been there since the funeral several years ago. And I have no real incentive to go back anymore. Not a real happening place when viewed through adult eyes.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Because there is LA which is more well-known and then San Francisco which is more well-known.
    You're kidding right? Proximity to an even more well known city does not automatically result in a city being forgotten. Using your rationale, cities like Pasadena and Berkeley would be unfairly lumped into the forgotten category.

Both Oakland and Long Beach are major seaports. Both have fairly large airports, with Oakland's being an international airport. Also, Oakland is home to three major sports teams (Raiders, A's, and The Warriors). Long Beach is home to a large state university. They are definitely less appreciated than SF and LA, but definitely not forgotten.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NickSticks View post
    You're kidding right? Proximity to an even more well known city does not automatically result in a city being forgotten. Using your rationale, cities like Pasadena and Berkeley would be unfairly lumped into the forgotten category.

Both Oakland and Long Beach are major seaports. Both have fairly large airports, with Oakland's being an international airport. Also, Oakland is home to three major sports teams (Raiders, A's, and The Warriors). Long Beach is home to a large state university. They are definitely less appreciated than SF and LA, but definitely not forgotten.
    *sneaks into thread for a quick second*

Nick you are just getting into this... but let me warn you - stop using logic and thought. Seriously....

*backs out of thread unnoticed*
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Off-topic:

I'm gay. I don't stalk other women's post. I fail to see how the two are related. Being straight, do you stalk women's post? Let's keep the playground insults out of the threads.
    I am sorry if the gay statement offended you.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am sorry if the gay statement offended you.
    I have to say a "Good On You". TerraSapient is pure class, and it was classy of you, Urban, to apologize for the statement. It was nice to see it,
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I have to say a "Good On You". TerraSapient is pure class, and it was classy of you, Urban, to apologize for the statement. It was nice to see it,
    Dan was right I should not have used that word in that context. My comments were made for one person and not to offend anyone else. And i am glad Dan put a gag order in place for me. I am very much appreciating that if I post on these threads again I know I will have some respect.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. It's a metro area of about 400,000 people. But,not noticed much, even in the Midwest.
    Davenport made the news just recently for descending into Hell.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Davenport made the news just recently for descending into Hell.
    And Moline doesn't even have a gay district.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Ah, a place I've been to many times in my youth. I had family in Moline, and other family outside of the Quad Cities metro area. Sadly, that family link is gone, and I haven't been there since the funeral several years ago. And I have no real incentive to go back anymore. Not a real happening place when viewed through adult eyes.
    It (we) suffers a bit from five cities over 20K rather than one central city of $250K. Collectively, we have very good public facilities (airport, sports arena, zoo, theaters, museums, etc.), events (PGA golf, music fests, minor league sports, etc.) but they are not concentrated in one town. Coming back after 22 years and heading the planning department in the largest City has been rewarding, but I totally get the 'no respect' tag.

And yes, we are going to hell. As I tell people who don't agree, go outside and see that is getting a little bit warmer every day . . .

Registered
    Oct 2011
    My votes:
    Evansville, IN
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Quad Cities, IL/IA
    Duluth, MN
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Dayton, OH
    Sioux Falls
    Sioux City
    Shreveport, LA
    Wichita, KS
    Albuquerque, NM
    Grand Junction, CO
    Pueblo, CO
    Abiline

What all these cities have in common is a fairly large population, no major sports teams or universities (except perhaps UNM in Albuquerque), and no famous products or companies associated with the city, at least in the last decade. Many used to be important cities (Dayton) but have fallen on hard times.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dodeca View post
    Duluth, MN
    Duluth used to be the richest city per capita in the US. If you go there you'll still still hundreds of mansions on the east side. It is absolutely gorgeous and completely unlike the rest of the midwest.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Is it really fair to say a city is forgotten if it is in an out of the way location to begin with? I can list off a bunch of cities in the West and on the plains many people may not have heard of since they're mainly just regional centers / resource hubs.

The more off the beaten path you are, the less likely anyone has heard of you. This applies nationally and internationally. Like some of the largest and fastest growing cities in the world, many people have never heard of. Lagos, Nigeria has like 8 million people and is one of the fastest growing cities on the planet but it plays such a small part in the world economy that many people don't even realize it exists.

Registered
    May 2005
    Some of these forgotten cities are major stopping points on our way to bigger and better destinations. I stayed the night in the Quad Cities, Ia. once on my way to Chicago. Visited Standard Byke company, ate at a nice little resturant, self toured downtown Davenport and the river and stayed at a questionable Motel 6 near the airport. It's probably not the ideal "tourist" image these cities envision, but several hundred to thousands of people do this everyday and spend money helping out the local economy (Lodge, ha) in a lot of these forgotten cities

Registered
    Mar 2004

Forbes Most Miserable

Take a look at the 2013 rankings of most miserable cities:

1. Detroit
    2. Flint
    3. Rockford, Ill
    4. Chicago, Ill (any talk of this at the conference??)
    5. Modesto, CA
    6. Vallejo, CA
    7. Warren, MI
    8. Stockton, CA
    9. Lake County, Ill
    10. New York, NY
    11. Toledo, OH
    12. St. Louis, MO
    13. Camden, NJ
    14. Milwaukee, WI
    15. Atlantic City, NJ
    16. Atlanta, GA
    17. Cleveland, OH
    18. Poughkeepsie, NY
    19. Gary, IN
    20. Youngstown, OH

Some of these have been forgotten for a long time, while others have been kept on life support with things like gambling, proximity to other places, fame and tourism. Others have almost nothing going for them.
    I would say that Stockton, Gary and Youngstown may fall into the category of forgotten cities.....what do you think?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Take a look at the Forbes 2013 rankings of most miserable cities:

3. Rockford, Ill

what do you think?
    There is another similar list - The 11 Most Miserable Cities In America
    According to the Gallup Well-Being Index.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...ca-2013-3?op=1

And it must be bad/forgetable if you are on both lists like -

No.9 Rockford, Ill.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 4:38 AM
  2. America's most drunk cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 6:49 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 9:53 PM