Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 10 of 322 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    OK so I late to the party but do wish all a happy new year and my 2011 be so much better than 2010 was.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    There's stupid dumb people on MSNBC as well.
    Not to mention broads like rachel madow. woof. If i am taking care of a sick family like the last few days, i need some eye candy to keep me sane
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I can't find real estate or demographic/socioeconomic data for my city that isn't crazy obsolete (we've more than doubled in geographic area and population since 2005) or incomplete for my needs, and we don't have the resources to conduct a full survey on our own. And now the Council and City Management wants an affordable housing study and policy completed... soon. I don't know where to go or what to do now. It's times like this when I wish we had someone in the office with experience and/or an MURP.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 12 Jan 2011 at 11:22 AM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    By yourself? Without someone holding your hand??
    We're having quite a bit of snow. I'm on East Hill, and my commute is four miles, almost all of it downhill; I could almost ski to work. I'd rather see the bus slide into a utility pole. Also, we have a department car, so I don't need to depend on my personal vehicle for field visits.

Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    And now the Council and City Management wants an affordable housing study and policy completed... soon. I don't know where to go or what to do now.
    Uhhh ... is there any housing in Hippoville that isn't affordable? Lemme' dig something up from one of my old plans ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    ip - please keep this in mind when you report to work. Thanks for keeping us safe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xyVSS5J7p8
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I can't find real estate or demographic/socioeconomic data for my city that isn't crazy obsolete (we've more than doubled in geographic area and population since 2005) or incomplete for my needs, and we don't have the resources to conduct a full survey on our own. And now the Council and City Management wants an affordable housing study and policy completed... soon. I don't know where to go or what to do now.
    The American Community Survey has a 5 year estimate (2005-2009) for your city that is probably is as close as you are get right now that can help you get started. The full data set from the 2010 Census hasn't been released yet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    The American Community Survey has a 5 year estimate (2005-2009) for your city that is probably is as close as you are get right now that can help you get started. The full data set from the 2010 Census hasn't been released yet.
    Yeah, that's the closest thing I've found so far. Full 2010 data isn't supposed to be relased until May or later.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Yeah, that's the closest thing I've found so far. Full 2010 data isn't supposed to be relased until May or later.
    Track residential building permits and housing unit counts from annexations. See if there have been any trends towards changing persons per unit since the last census. This should be done yearly for all jurisdictions. Don't forget housing demolitions if they are significant. See if utility connections can provide clues. The census starts with housing units, mid decade estimates should do the same.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Well, Megyn Kelly has a J.D. and Martha MacCallum has a pretty storied resume, working for numeous high-profile shows on NBC and CNBC as well as the Wall Street Journal. But if you want to deny the truth about their intelligence, go ahead, but you look kind of silly doing so.
    I've met some people with a J.D. who are stone cold morons. I could care less what her educationak background is. Some of the stuff she says is so completely idiotic that there is no way to consider her intelligent. Maybe she is playing a part, it seems to be working well for her.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    That's why it's called a "directory".
    LMAO!!! Well, if any of you can figure out who I am among the 225 or so APA members in Hawaii, you now know where I live. So, if you decide to show up and sofa surf for a week or two, please bring a case of good beer, some extra sunblock, and an appreciation for scootin!

Registered
    Mar 2004

<daydream mode>

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    LMAO!!! Well, if any of you can figure out who I am among the 225 or so APA members in Hawaii, you now know where I live. So, if you decide to show up and sofa surf for a week or two, please bring a case of good beer, some extra sunblock, and an appreciation for scootin!
    Ahhh.....a month in Hawaii sounds soooo nice right now.......even on a lumpy sofa.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Ahhh.....a month in Hawaii sounds soooo nice right now.......even on a lumpy sofa.....
    If TO has the sofa, I will take the floor. Sandy floor sleep is great... when you are in Hawaii... I am tired of this cold.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I've met some people with a J.D. who are stone cold morons. I could care less what her educationak background is. Some of the stuff she says is so completely idiotic that there is no way to consider her intelligent. Maybe she is playing a part, it seems to be working well for her.
    I think everyone's met people who have earned a J.D. who are also idiots. However, I don't know of anyone who has been the editor of their school's law review (even from 4th-tier institutions) who has been an idiot. Jerk or a-hole, perhaps, but not idiot.

You would think the director of the local public library would have access to Title 4 of the United States Code, could read and understand it, and recognize that the library is presently in violation of that (toothless) code, specifically Section 7(f).

Not the director at my public library, however, as Old Glory is presently at half-staff while the city and state flags are at full-staff and thus above the national colors.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    OOPS !
    12.4 Modernization of Building Code Ordinances.
    It is recommended that a review and modernization of Building Code Ordinances occur within 2 years of the establishment of the Combined Government by a committee of competent, experienced and educated engineers, lawyers and real estate professionals.
    A specific example would include establishing standards for traffic roundabouts in order that the community may achieve the life safety and road maintenance benefits of roundabout intersections.
    Don't you always refer to the Building Code for tranportation design guidence.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    I think everyone's met people who have earned a J.D. who are also idiots. However, I don't know of anyone who has been the editor of their school's law review (even from 4th-tier institutions) who has been an idiot. Jerk or a-hole, perhaps, but not idiot.
    Some people strongly disagree with you about our President.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Attention Please: RT has been duly notified that she has been admitted to Philadelphia University's Architectural Studies program for Fall 2011-her #1 choice. She will be chasing after a B.Arch. No determination on financial aid just yet but she's thrilled and I am so freaking proud of her. Guess that pay raise came just in time
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Attention Please: RT has been duly notified that she has been admitted to Philadelphia University's Architectural Studies program for Fall 2011-her #1 choice. She will be chasing after a B.Arch. No determination on financial aid just yet but she's thrilled and I am so freaking proud of her. Guess that pay raise came just in time
    Quite a week for both of you. Congrats and Congrats!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    At a girl RT - Congrats !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    You two know how to start the year out right! Congrats to both!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG left for central FL this morning. I have the house to myself again until Sunday afternoon--just like the old days (except for her three ).
    Party on Garth. Party on Wayne.

Given this chilly weather, the hot tub will be perfect this evening.

Ate my leftover frozen lasagna that the others don't like. Yummy.

I will report on recent wines later.

Carry on.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Congrats to her! College is such an amazing time. I am sure you are crazy proud!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Congrats, kj!

A musical about planning? Robert Moses Astride New York

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    America's favorite safety school has a wicked sense of humor.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    A musical about planning? Robert Moses Astride New York
    Hmm. Well, that's certainly different! I think I'll stick with the book.

I didn't know that the President gave Caro an award. Sounds like The Power Broker made as much of an impression on Obama as it did on me.

Closed thread
Page 10 of 322 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141