Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 12 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I wore my Carhartt jacket to work today. Now can't stop saying "Hey you dang woodchucks, stop chucking my wood!"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wore my Carhartt jacket today....now I can't stop saying "what t'hell you talkin' 'bout, son?"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I wore my Carhartt jacket to work today. Now can't stop saying "Hey you dang woodchucks, stop chucking my wood!"
    Everytime I see that commercial I can't stop laughing...it never gets old

I don't own a Carhartt jacket, although in an unplanned stop after work to Dick's Sporting Goods I saw a bunch of people wearing them.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    This Friday is off to a good start, let's hope it stays that way.

Got hit on at the coffee shop.

Got more in my paycheck due to a merit raise.

Got last year's CT paid out a paycheck early. Woo hooo!

I should just go home now and call it a day.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Got more in my paycheck due to a merit raise.

Got last year's CT paid out a paycheck early. Woo hooo!

I should just go home now and call it a day.
    buy a lottery ticket on the way home!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

See, what they say about married women is true....you actually become even hotter. Now if you were appropriately flustered you went two pegs even higher on the hotness scale....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Now can't stop saying "Hey you dang woodchucks, stop chucking my wood!"
    I too love that commercial. Genius. what it has to do with car insurance.. umm who cares!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I like the one with the piggy that goes "Weeee, weeee, weeee" all the way home.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Hee hee. Me too. Though I don't like his voice after the "Weees" it doesn't fit with his character.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Personal death pool update

Lost a friend from the U-M alumni band early this morning. He was 51, went in for some heart disease tune-ups at the same hospital of notoriety from June 2010.

He'd always post updates from the various hockey and basketball games, generally referring (ha!) to the skills of the officials. His last Facebook post:

Well I'm scared as hell and feel like an inmate on death row but here goes nothing. Hopefully there are no refs in the operating room!!! See you all on the other side one way or another!

It's amazing how you can establish a digital connection with someone. I'm pretty sure we only spoke once, at homecoming last year.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I actually find that one annoying, sorry.

I really like the one where they're imitating the Antique Roadshow and the appraiser says that the "bird in the hand" that the woman brought in is "worth two in the bush".
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I actually find that one annoying, sorry.

I really like the one where they're imitating the Antique Roadshow and the appraiser says that the "bird in the hand" that the woman brought in is "worth two in the bush".
    I dislike all of those commercials I have seen, except the woodchucking one. I dig that one.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I dislike all of those commercials I have seen, except the woodchucking one. I dig that one.
    Oh, come on! The former-drill-sergeant-turned-psychiatrist one is the best!

"... ya jackwagon!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Lost a friend from the U-M alumni band early this morning. He was 51, went in for some heart disease tune-ups at the same hospital of notoriety from June 2010.

He'd always post updates from the various hockey and basketball games, generally referring (ha!) to the skills of the officials. His last Facebook post:

Well I'm scared as hell and feel like an inmate on death row but here goes nothing. Hopefully there are no refs in the operating room!!! See you all on the other side one way or another!

It's amazing how you can establish a digital connection with someone. I'm pretty sure we only spoke once, at homecoming last year.
    Sorry to hear about the death of your friend. That's kind of an eerie way to find out about it too.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Sorry about your friend!

It is amazing how social media has expanded all of our social horizons, so to speak. Without facebook or cyburbia or whatever source(s) you use, just think of how many less people you would "know". Even "knowing someone" has changed in this age. It is truly awesome, IMO.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like the all state commercials where the guy is something that will mess up your insurance. The new one of him as snow is good, but my favorite is the gps one... "recalculating... go left... NOW!"
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sorry to hear about the death of your friend. That's kind of an eerie way to find out about it too.
    Veloise, I'm sure he still hears you.

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Since most of our interactions took place on FB, I'm okay with that. It would be several weeks before the next alumni band newsletter could announce it. As it stands this morning, I have friended the new widow, offered her an ensemble to play one last time, contacted the guy in charge of the band and put the bug in his ear, and found one of Bill's final delightful posts to share.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm thinking it might be cool to take a class or two at the local institute of higher learning this summer as an adult learner. No problem, according to their Web site. Then I found out the tuition is $1055 per credit.

As The One would say,

I wonder if I can go for a PhD with just a few credits a semester. Sure, I won't be a Doctor until 2029, but still ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just posted in a thread that was NOT in the FAC!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I just posted in a thread that was NOT in the FAC!
    What was it like? Is it true the other forums have different color backgrounds?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What was it like? Is it true the other forums have different color backgrounds?
    It was so, just so, so wonderful, like walking through tall grass on a warm spring day...or eating a Peppermint Patty bar...or a piece of cinnamon super-charged gum

...still high from it all...

...but exhausted so I may need to not do that again for a while though the temptation is great to see if someone even, like, maybe responded to what I wrote is hard to pass up, perhaps they used the quotation tool to develop their thoughts...

...it's more than I can bear...need to get some green tea...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had a chocolate craving yesterday afternoon, so I bought a small bag of mini-peanut butter hearts, thinking I could just have "something small."

Several peanut butter hearts later...

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

It is amazing how social media has expanded all of our social horizons, so to speak. Without facebook or cyburbia or whatever source(s) you use, just think of how many less people you would "know". Even "knowing someone" has changed in this age. It is truly awesome, IMO.
    In the mid-1990s, my husband discovered an online forum for people who owned a particular car, and he quickly became a regular participant. The person who had created and moderated the forum lived on the opposite side of the country, but they got to know one another over the years, albeit in a limited way.

At Christmas last year, we were shocked to find out, via the forum, that the moderator had committed suicide. It was very upsetting. My husband never met M. in person, but he definitely reacted as if a "real" friend had died.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    long weekend coming....I think I'll start it early.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    long weekend coming....I think I'll start it early.
    At a moment like this you can't help but wonder "What would Jimmy Buffett do?"

"It's five o'clock somewhere."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Closed thread
Page 12 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM