Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 322 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am surprised on the Job Posting TexanOkie put up that they say Veteran Preference. Can they do that? I am sure that if they had two equally qualified individuals apply, that if they like military people they would pick that person... but to outright say it seems... I don't know... wrong?

I mean you can't say you prefer lots of things you might actually prefer. How does Military service fit into that? It isn't exactly like gender, but it is like asking for people who have worked for the Federal government in a specific division. You might use that as criteria in the end, but it seems like a legal issue to say it up front.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I am surprised on the Job Posting TexanOkie put up that they say Veteran Preference. Can they do that? I am sure that if they had two equally qualified individuals apply, that if they like military people they would pick that person... but to outright say it seems... I don't know... wrong?

I mean you can't say you prefer lots of things you might actually prefer. How does Military service fit into that? It isn't exactly like gender, but it is like asking for people who have worked for the Federal government in a specific division. You might use that as criteria in the end, but it seems like a legal issue to say it up front.
    Regardless of whether or not it's right, that's fairly standard for any government job posting at any level - state, county, or local - in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has an appreciation and affiliation for the military and military service unlike any state I've ever lived in or visited. You can somewhat see this in its national electoral history. Obama didn't lose all of Oklahoma in '08 - McCain won because of his life and military service held a unique vast popular appeal in the state. In the '04 Democratic primaries, Gen. Wesley Clark carried the state by a landslide. And so on and so forth...

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    A few years ago I made a goal of completing a triathlon before I turned 35. Well, 35 is quickly approaching and I have yet to complete that goal. There's a sprint triathlon in July that I'm beginning to think about participating in. From what I've read it appears that one can train for a sprint triathlon in about 3 months. So I have some time to train. I figure I can push through the bike ride and the run, my biggest concern is the swim.
    How far is the 'sprint' tri? The proper distance is what Hink stated, but sometimes it can be shorter. Last time i did a tri, i trained for a month and did ok- but that was a 450m swim, 15km cycle and 4km run. I am doing a Tri in late March that is 500m swim, 15km cycle and 5km run. I hope to get motivated to train soon!

My biggest tip is to use a road bike or at least road tyres and concentrate on the bike/run component- you pick up more time on these compared to the swim (this is coming from someone who is a better swimmer that runner/cyclist!)
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2007

Most every local, state, and of course Federal job I've ever seen advertised allows for some sort of veteran's preference. Even on many local jobs where it might not be in the initial or public posting, it is still in the municipality's internal policies (as a Veteran, I used to often call or email HR offices to see if they had such a policy when I was interested in applying - at least in Michigan, NC, and AZ when I was looking around).

The traditional reason for the Federal government offering a preference to Veterans was/is to help level the playing field for applicants who may have spent 3+ years on active duty (I believe 3 is generally the minimum required for 5 points of non-combat or disability related veterans preference) since, presumably the veteran applicant would be disadvantaged compared to other applicants in that they may have taken a few years longer to obtain a college education, may have an education from a less prestigious university because of the relatively lower earnings while they were serving, or waited longer to start a post-military career while they might still have very relevant management, leadership, teamwork, etc. skills.

In the end, even if the Veteran qualifies for 10-points of preference, that usually equates to a very small factor in the decision to contact them for an interview (or eventually offer them a job).

In my experience, local and state governments that offer a veteran's preference do so for the same reasons as the Federal government and usually apply it in the same manner.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have decided to get a new moped!!! I have never owned one before and I'm having trouble deciding between 2 models.

The first is a used Piaggio Vespa for about $3,500.00. It has a 150 cc engine, which is cool because I could take it on the expressway/highway and use it to get around the island outside of just the city, though I don't actually plan on doing so.

The second is an Islander for about $1,100.00. It has a 50 cc engine, which is cool because it won't require a motorcycle license or special insurance.

Both options get around 75 miles per gallon

Has anyone who has ever owned such a mode of transportation help me decide or give me tips?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I have decided to get a new moped!!! I have never owned one before and I'm having trouble deciding between 2 models.

The first is a used Piaggio Vespa for about $3,500.00. It has a 150 cc engine, which is cool because I could take it on the expressway/highway and use it to get around the island outside of just the city, though I don't actually plan on doing so.

The second is an Islander for about $1,100.00. It has a 50 cc engine, which is cool because it won't require a motorcycle license or special insurance.

Both options get around 75 miles per gallon

Has anyone who has ever owned such a mode of transportation help me decide or give me tips?
    Since you have aspirations of leaving the island, have you looked at shipping the moped out of the islands? That might be a little costly.

Your insurance costs go down if you take a class and get licensed.

Do you have a place store it? They can be easily stolen (lifted into a pick-up)

They are fun as hell. Since moving to my current location I have been saving up for one, but i am afraid to get one since it would involve traveling up a very large grade everyday and I need it to at least do 45 on it.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Since you have aspirations of leaving the island, have you looked at shipping the moped out of the islands? That might be a little costly...

Do you have a place store it? They can be easily stolen (lifted into a pick-up)...
    Actually, we have had a slight change of situation, which is why I am looking for personal transportation other than the bus. My partner has received a job offer on the island that we cannot pass up, so we are replanting our roots on this rock in the middle of the ocean for a bit Since we share a car and she will be commuting, she wins the car. I walk to work most of the time, but want something to get around town in when the car is not available to me.

I actually have the perfect place to store it. Our building has a small maintenance room on the ground floor and the only things in it are a weed whacker and some dog crates. It is the perfect size to squeeze a little moped into and lock up at night

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Public Credit Card/Money outrage over a appointed board's Christmas party cost that included -
    five bottles of Opus One wine at $250 each
    a $477 gratuity
    for a
    $3,079 tab

Local newspaper's online article has a copy of the receipt:.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Stats! I demand RTDNTOTO stats!\

Also, I found this amazing device being sold on Amazon that will make notetaking in the field much easier.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    First post from the new job!

Okay, off to lunch. Gonna' be scarce here for a little bit.
    Congrats on the new gig. I am hoping that I will get the gig I interviewed for last week. They called today to ask how much I earned, how much notice I would have to give, and how quickly relocation could take place. They told me they would be in touch shortly. Hopefully it bodes well 'cuz I gotta get out of this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Stats! I demand RTDNTOTO stats!
    Do you mean like these -

Random Thought Progress Report - Posts 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, Closing # on the 31st.

# 5 - 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 5563
    # 4 - 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 5,004
    # 3 - 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
    # 2 - 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
    adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...postcount=5025
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Congrats to Dandy on the wedding! Hope your day and your NOLA trip were perfect!
    Thank you! We had a beautiful day and a wonderful time!

Pictures to follow on a night w/o a meeting.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I hate the Leland Stanford Junior... University Marching Band. I guess I'm not "enlightened" enough to be able to fully appreciate snarky scatter bands from elite academic institutions, regardless of how good their music is. (I'm also not a big fan of most Ivy League bands [minus Cornell], especially Yale's, and other schools like Rice, William & Mary, etc.)

I may be somewhat biased due to my experiences in traditional marching bands, including the Pride of Oklahoma. However, had I wound up at an Ivy League school or Stanford, I wouldn't have wanted to join their band, and, as a result, I probably would have been a whole lot less interested in the school's athletics programs.

Registered
    May 2004
    I am at a loss for random thoughts.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Congrats on the new gig. I am hoping that I will get the gig I interviewed for last week. They called today to ask how much I earned, how much notice I would have to give, and how quickly relocation could take place. They told me they would be in touch shortly. Hopefully it bodes well 'cuz I gotta get out of this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That sounds encouraging. I haven't gotten a random call like that after an interview yet, so it sounds like you are definitely in the running. Good luck!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Public Credit Card/Money outrage over a appointed board's Christmas party cost that included -
    five bottles of Opus One wine at $250 each
    a $477 gratuity
    for a
    $3,079 tab

Local newspaper's online article has a copy of the receipt:.
    Opus One is expensive and from what I have heard overrated. You would think that they would have gone with something more low key... like Oliver

Gotta love "work" dinners.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I hope you get the job!

TerraSapient, I can't give you any tips regarding the moped, but I have to say: Vespas are sooo cool!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    oh man, I hate saboteurs

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    oh man, I hate saboteurs
    Did one particular PB member from here move to Maine?
    For me, I hope so. For you, I'm so very sorry.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Congrats Dan and good luck
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I can understand that the feedback is useful to the consultants but I don't like having to call consultants and tell them why we didn't choose them. I don't like confrontation and I don't like to disappoint people.

Registered
    May 2004
    Opus One is expensive and from what I have heard overrated. You would think that they would have gone with something more low key... like Oliver

Gotta love "work" dinners.
    I thought it was quite good. At the winery 10 years ago it was 25 dollars a taste

I didn't think it was that good. What can be?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2007

A belated congrats on the new gig. Glad to see you were able to stay in upstate NY!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    oh man, I hate saboteurs
    There's not one on your staff, I hope.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    oh man, I hate saboteurs
    Do i need to send bruno and rocko out to your little island paradise?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Closed thread
Page 2 of 322 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM