Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 217 of 322 FirstFirst ... 207 216 217 218 227 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Ugh. What to do when opportunities you wanted at one time and then moved on, now pop up and interupt your happy little content life?
    In light of all the fantastic news around here, I thought it best that I clarify that no, this statement has nothing to do with my fertility

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Had our first hummingbird at our feeder today; I was excited!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ... three thumbs up on this one!
    Where is the 4th thumb .... RJ?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Where is the 4th thumb .... RJ?
    Scary - do we need to know ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    20 minutes into a relaxed Friday and got my first bitchy phone call of the day. Hey lady, no, I really can't help if you call the wrong department. I do not control city taxes, therefore I cannot help you. But I can direct you to the person who can.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    But I can direct you to the person who can.

You could have said "But I can tell you where to go."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    20 minutes into a relaxed Friday and got my first bitchy phone call of the day. Hey lady, no, I really can't help if you call the wrong department. I do not control city taxes, therefore I cannot help you. But I can direct you to the person who can.
    A while back, if you googled our building, it gave you our department phone number as the main line. As a result, we started getting a ton of calls that have nothing to do with our department. Once we figured it out, the receptionists stopped answering with "City of XXX Dept. of XXX" and simply say "This is NAME". Lots of people simply hung up. In the meantime, our PIO's office and the computer group scrambled to figure out what happened.

I don't think it was anyone's "fault" that google had the wrong number. But it sure did cause us a big headache! We would have loved being able to tell people where to go!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2002
    There you go - stereotypical govmt workers, always passing the buck!

(I had the same thing earlier this week and when I offered to transfer him I got smacked around for trying to "pass the buck". Sorry, I can't answer questions related to income tax!)

Registered
    May 2005
    7:30 PM can't come fast enough.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Seriously? Only 10:15? Blah.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Seriously? Only 10:15? Blah.
    You're telling me. I already worked my requisite 35 this week. So this is a freebie for them and I will spend the day being productively unproductive.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    You're telling me. I already worked my requisite 35 this week. So this is a freebie for them and I will spend the day being productively unproductive.
    I'm getting ready to leave for the weekend. It's been a long 2 weeks.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    A construction company just called and said they were interested in bidding on our new office and retail building. I had to burst her bubble and tell her we have our own in house general contracting firm that does all of our construction. She asked if I would accept a bid anyways

I just realized I can take lunch in 11 minutes. Awesomely unproductive day so far. I've not checked my VM, replied to one email, took my NeighborWorks course exam online, filled out my expense report for training (hello $125 in mileage!), and posted on Cyburbia.

What should I eat for lunch....hmm.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    A construction company just called and said they were interested in bidding on our new office and retail building. I had to burst her bubble and tell her we have our own in house general contracting firm that does all of our construction. She asked if I would accept a bid anyways

I just realized I can take lunch in 11 minutes. Awesomely unproductive day so far. I've not checked my VM, replied to one email, took my NeighborWorks course exam online, filled out my expense report for training (hello $125 in mileage!), and posted on Cyburbia.

Coneys!!!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Jimmy Johns. Do they have those on the East coast? mmmmmm.

--------------

The website www.houzz.com is really cool. Idea central.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Jimmy Johns. Do they have those on the East coast? mmmmmm.
    Yes there's one near where I live. However I work in the 'hood and my choices are limited to bodegas, chinese food, and fast food. Normally I bring my lunch but since I was at training for 3 days and have to go deposit my check (direct deposit fail) I figured I would find something to eat. Might have to tootle on over to the 'burb town next door so I can find something with less than 40g of carbs.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mrs. Maister opens the garage door, points an accusing finger at me, motions to the push broom and says "this floor needs to be swept desperately". Without missing a beat I grabbed the broom and proceeded to act desperate (while sweeping).

For some reason I couldn't get back in the house. Seems the door was locked.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Two hours and counting and I'll be relaxing, drinking some cocktails, and waiting for the game to start. Perfect way to start the weekend!

Registered
    May 2005
    Two hours and counting and I'll be relaxing, drinking some cocktails, and waiting for the game to start. Perfect way to start the weekend!
    You just tailgating? Or do you have tickets?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    8.25 hours until the long 3-day birthday weekend. I literally cannot wait. Grilling on the beach with some friends, drinking beers, paddling, snorkeling, sunbathing. Can it please be Saturday now?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    You just tailgating? Or do you have tickets?
    We have season tickets. Usually we'll be tailgating (not sure where, the bf and his friends always go to the same spot, but I have no idea where that is) but tonight we are just going downtown, starting at Dublin Square. Too hot too tailgate Kind of kidding. It won't be that bad, I'd suck it up if necessary

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient
    8.25 hours until the long 3-day birthday weekend. I literally cannot wait. Grilling on the beach with some friends, drinking beers, paddling, snorkeling, sunbathing. Can it please be Saturday now?
    That sounds awesome, have a great time!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good day today: got to officially offer my intern a full-time position.

and I intentionally did it on his birthday.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    We have season tickets. Usually we'll be tailgating (not sure where, the bf and his friends always go to the same spot, but I have no idea where that is) but tonight we are just going downtown, starting at Dublin Square. Too hot too tailgate Kind of kidding. It won't be that bad, I'd suck it up if necessary
    Jealous.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Good day today: got to officially offer my intern a full-time position.

and I intentionally did it on his birthday.
    What a good boss! Congrats to your intern for making it to the big leagues.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    OK I think now is a good time to check my voice mail...since most people that need return calls have bailed for the 3 day weekend

Closed thread
Page 217 of 322 FirstFirst ... 207 216 217 218 227 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141