Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 226 of 322 FirstFirst ... 216 225 226 227 236 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    You have dreams about Gary Oldman killing me? That's just weird! But if you're going to dream about me please make me 10 yrs younger and 15lbs lighter. kthxbai.
    Well in all honesty the dream was about Gary Oldman killing a kitten (it's a recurring dream). I just saw your post and it all finally made sense.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    While out running in the predawn darkness this morning I twice ran across the path of a skunk. Luckily no damage was done but that was a bit close for comfort! I'd hate to have to use the excuse of, "Sprayed by a skunk" when calling into work.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Well in all honesty the dream was about Gary Oldman killing a kitten (it's a recurring dream). I just saw your post and it all finally made sense.

Was Gary killing a kitten, or was he ""Killing a Kitten"" .

Search "killing kittens" if you are too new to get the joke.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2003
    As I was walking out of a meeting yesterday, a protestor at a town hall meeting with the governor asked me an interesting question. “How much did you pay in taxes last year?”

It got me thinking… I don’t know! I know how much in property taxes and income taxes I paid, but I don’t know about sales tax, utility tax, gas tax, hotel tax, and many of the other taxes that I don’t know if anyone actually keeps track of.

How much did you pay in taxes last year? (Percentage of income)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    While out running in the predawn darkness this morning I twice ran across the path of a skunk. Luckily no damage was done but that was a bit close for comfort! I'd hate to have to use the excuse of, "Sprayed by a skunk" when calling into work.
    I had a close encounter of a skunk kind this summer. I was returning from the campground restroom when I came upon a skunk in our campsite, helping himself to some marshmallows my son left out. I yelled "hey, get out of here."

Mr Skunk (I am assuming the sex -as I am no expert, especially at 2 a.m.) considered me for a moment. I was pretty much bluffing. Like, really, what was I going to do if he decided to keep on eating the marshmallows? But he decided he go anyway. Off he waddled. I threw away the marshamallows. Thankful he did not spray.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2009
    BTW, happy 9/14 day. (A day of significance for one of my hobbies)

and goodmorning everyone. There was an Earthquake over here to start the day

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Very Nice, who wouldn't want or drive one.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    How much did you pay in taxes last year? (Percentage of income)
    I think it is probably impossible to know the full extent with sales tax and usage taxes, you could track it but it would be really difficult. Total tax percentage is pretty easy if you just count Fed, State, Local, School, FICA, and misc. + property taxes. With a 7% sales tax rate (on all purchases) and a guess at 4% for usage taxes on phone, etc. a calculation of total purchases times 7% and total $ spent on using things times 4% and I would estimate our taxes at around 33-38%. Who knows though as it really depends on how much you buy and use things during the year. Obviously Turbo Tax can give you a "real" number on your paid taxes, but the other stuff is really fluid.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I received an e-mail this morning from bobcatplanner saying the UDC our old city adopted, of which Dan wrote the bulk and I edited and directed through the interdepartmental staff editing process and public adoption process, is going to be awarded a major state award from Texas APA at its October conference!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    ...the UDC our old city adopted, of which Dan wrote the bulk and I edited and directed through the interdepartmental staff editing process and public adoption process, is going to be awarded a major state award from Texas APA at its October conference!
    That's great! Congrats to you both.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I received an e-mail this morning from bobcatplanner saying the UDC our old city adopted, of which Dan wrote the bulk and I edited and directed through the interdepartmental staff editing process and public adoption process, is going to be awarded a major state award from Texas APA at its October conference!
    And I am sure that you both will be given credit? Congrats anyway!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007

College Campuses

I am down on the campus of where I went to grad school for the first time in about 2 years (except to drive through or go to bars on the fringe) and am glad to be here because it had reminded me how many absolutely gorgeous girls there are on a college campus on a beautiful late summer day at the start of a new semester.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When I was a teenager, my brother got a de-scented pet skunk. We leash-trained him; he was very affectionate and would sit on my shoulder for walks around the neighborhood.

Registered
    Sep 1999

Sinkhole insurance in FL

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...0,15987.column

I don't know of any other place in the US with lots of sinkholes. Two counties I've worked in in FL are sinkhole-prone. Unfortunately, the scammers figured out they could get the state-backed insurance to pay them for cracked walls. Traditionally, if your house wasn't swallowed up in a pit in 24 hrs, it wasn't a sinkhole. It's become like arson or car insurance scams. Crack in the wall? Get a payout. Every house I've lived in in FL has cracks, that's just the way it goes with older homes.

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Around town.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Awkward

The crazy witch I worked for at my last gig is at the training session I'm at today. Mind you I had to sue her for my last paycheck and she was fined $1000 by the state for withholding it. She just came by and said hi to me. Awkward!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    The crazy witch I worked for at my last gig is at the training session I'm at today. Mind you I had to sue her for my last paycheck and she was fined $1000 by the state for withholding it. She just came by and said hi to me. Awkward!
    Yep, but I bet it was also nice to have the feeling that 'I don't have to put up with your sh!+ anymore'
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

I get the sense that this might be the end for the bridge: photo of tie girder crack. At some point it's like owning a used car -- how much money are you going to put into it when it needs repairs, and is it worth it?

If they repair it, I don't know how secure I'd feel driving over it, especially after a few years. The words "bridge" and "fracture critical" will be foremost in my mind.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2005
    At bowling last night, somebody on my team decided to introduce us all to Words With Friends. I think this game somehow injects heroin into my fingertips as I play it because it's that addictive.
    I agree 100%.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    At bowling last night, somebody on my team decided to introduce us all to Words With Friends. I think this game somehow injects heroin into my fingertips as I play it because it's that addictive.
    I prefer good old fashion scrabble.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is like Angry Birds to me. It is really fun for a bit, but I just quit it cold turkey and I am still living. On to bigger and better things.....finding another game!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    On to bigger and better things.....finding another game!
    Type Time Waster into the Search box and select show threads.

It has been a while since anybody commented on any of them.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Type Time Waster into the Search box and select show threads.
    Good call JNA.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Was that a Ron Paul for President ad I just saw on Cyburbia?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Was that a Ron Paul for President ad I just saw on Cyburbia?
    I've seen it too. I'm waiting for the ones for Michelle Bachman and Rick Perry.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Closed thread
Page 226 of 322 FirstFirst ... 216 225 226 227 236 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141