Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 227 of 322 FirstFirst ... 217 226 227 228 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's not quite there yet, but in about a week the sun will be in that particularly annoying position where it will be shining directly into my eyes on my morning commute. It does that to spite me.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It's not quite there yet, but in about a week the sun will be in that particularly annoying position where it will be shining directly into my eyes on my morning commute. It does that to spite me.
    I think cities should regulate the sun. It really does just do what it wants all willy-nilly.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I think cities should regulate the sun. It really does just do what it wants all willy-nilly.
    Don't get me going! This is not a local problem, it's a Federal problem affecting the entire nation! That effing Obama has been in office for nearly three years and it's still freakin' doing that!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Don't get me going! This is not a local problem, it's a Federal problem affecting the entire nation! That effing Obama has been in office for nearly three years and it's still freakin' doing that!
    Think of the CHILDREN!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Still been feeling a little under the weather. I've been using NyQuill the past two nights to get a few extra hours of sleep.

NyQuill makes for some crazy dreams, lets just say last night I recall a tea cup elevator taking me through an entirely glass Holiday Inn, people speaking in what I can only assume was Russian or at least some eastern european language (I do not speak any such language), and exploding faces.

This was just a regular dose of NyQuill (2 nights in a row however), there was no LSD involved that I am aware of
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Still been feeling a little under the weather. I've been using NyQuill the past two nights to get a few extra hours of sleep.

NyQuill makes for some crazy dreams, lets just say last night I recall a tea cup elevator taking me through an entirely glass Holiday Inn, people speaking in what I can only assume was Russian or at least some eastern european language (I do not speak any such language), and exploding faces.

This was just a regular dose of NyQuill (2 nights in a row however), there was no LSD involved that I am aware of
    Okay let's try to break this one down:

tea cup elevator = Tea Party taking us down
    glass Holiday Inn = I'm not a planner, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night
    speaking Russian = turning into a nother country
    exploding faces = nuclear war (or zombies)

So put that all together and we get that you feel that even though we live in a very educated/smart country (Holiday Inn), the Tea Party (tea cups) are taking us down (elevator) a road where we become a communist state (Russia/east european) before a nulcear holocaust (exploding faces) and turn into zombies (that reference is for ts).

Egad, I hate to hear what happens on a thrid night of NyQuil
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004

If its got an anti-cough formula it may have dextromethorphan as an ingredient. DM is classified as a dissociative hallucinogen.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Okay let's try to break this one down:

tea cup elevator = Tea Party taking us down
    glass Holiday Inn = I'm not a planner, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night
    speaking Russian = turning into a nother country
    exploding faces = nuclear war (or zombies)

So put that all together and we get that you feel that even though we live in a very educated/smart country (Holiday Inn), the Tea Party (tea cups) are taking us down (elevator) a road where we become a communist state (Russia/east european) before a nulcear holocaust (exploding faces) and turn into zombies (that reference is for ts).

Egad, I hate to hear what happens on a thrid night of NyQuil

Of Course! It all makes so much sense now!

Actually, to elaborate, I was dreaming I was in a fast food restaurant. Rather than take my order, the person at the cashier counter was apparantly a robot. Her face actually unhinged and I was typing my menu order into her face. Then I pressed enter, then her face exploded. Then, naturally (this happens all the time!) everyone's faces started to explode. Pretty typical dream all around.

And Maister, I've heard of the hallucinatory elements and actually talked to a person who claimed to do this in high school. He called it "robo-tripping" and it is apparently terrifying. I don't think 30mL of NyQuil would do that, unless I have an awfully low tolerance. I think it's a pretty good thing that I can sleep in tomorrow, I also would be nervous to see what dreams would come up on the third night.
    Last edited by HomerJ; 16 Sep 2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Actually, to elaborate, I was dreaming I was in a fast food restaurant. Rather than take my order, the person at the cashier counter was apparantly a robot. Her face actually unhinged and I was typing my menu order into her face. Then I pressed enter, then her face exploded. Then, naturally (this happens all the time!) everyone's faces started to explode.
    Can't help you on that one. Maybe we need to consult our resident expert on fast food restaurants...paging kjel!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why is it whenever the topic of Frank Lloyd Wright's most iconic works comes up someone's always gotta include the Guggenheim on their short list? Interesting architecture? Sure. The pinnacle of his architectural achievements? Hardly. I think it has more to do with its location (Manhattan) than the architecture itself.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    NOT to mention the whole Federal problem of falling leaves

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

The latest internet meme

Registered
    Feb 2007
    putting together a conference has been exhausting, yet fun all at the same time. Man..my section of the Cal APA can booze it up and when you whip out the beer pong table at the conference chair's suite...you know you made it!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Trying to start a new acronym around the office: "NIMUGA", not in my urban growth area. We've found that NIMBY has really gone regional.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Any suggestions on what to do with a planning library that I collected for 40 years? I was going to donate it to a regional planning organization when I went to an interview, but never got the interview invite. It includes an incomplete set of PAS reports starting with No. 1, grad school books from the late 70's, and Planning magazines from back when they were worth reading. Right now they are merely taking up space in my basement.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Any suggestions on what to do with a planning library that I collected for 40 years? I was going to donate it to a regional planning organization when I went to an interview, but never got the interview invite. It includes an incomplete set of PAS reports starting with No. 1, grad school books from the late 70's, and Planning magazines from back when they were worth reading. Right now they are merely taking up space in my basement.

Market it as AICP preparation materials and sell them for $5 less than the APA AICP stuff - you'll make a fortune
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2005
    If its got an anti-cough formula it may have dextromethorphan as an ingredient. DM is classified as a dissociative hallucinogen.
    Based on this information, I can imagine some people might be rethinking their weekend plans. Who knew?!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2008

downer...

Ever post a big long self-absorbed note to nobody and think better of it? I have.

See you guys Monday. I'm out for the weekend.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Based on this information, I can imagine some people might be rethinking their weekend plans. Who knew?!
    Is that an invitation? Hey everyone, did you hear that - NyQuil party at wahday's this weekend! Woot!

Registered
    Nov 2009

Actually, to elaborate, I was dreaming I was in a fast food restaurant. Rather than take my order, the person at the cashier counter was apparantly a robot. Her face actually unhinged and I was typing my menu order into her face. Then I pressed enter, then her face exploded. Then, naturally (this happens all the time!) everyone's faces started to explode. Pretty typical dream all around.

And Maister, I've heard of the hallucinatory elements and actually talked to a person who claimed to do this in high school. He called it "robo-tripping" and it is apparently terrifying. I don't think 30mL of NyQuil would do that, unless I have an awfully low tolerance. I think it's a pretty good thing that I can sleep in tomorrow, I also would be nervous to see what dreams would come up on the third night.
    I'll have some of what he's having
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Thought I was going to lose this real estate deal today because Fannie Mae's closing attorneys on this are a bunch of douchebags. Threw a second hail mary pass on Wednesday and got an affirmative on my request today and cc'd on a rather scathing email sent to the closing attorneys from Fannie Mae.

Things are finally moving on the rest of my projects which have been stalled for quite some time and found a generous source of funding for soft costs which have been eating my budget
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    My boss thought it would be a good idea to send a letter to 1400 people stating that they may have serious violations and they can call me to deal with it. Needless to say, my phone wont stop ringing.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    3 things:

1. There is a reason why you get carded now to buy Nyquil - thanks alot for ruining it for the rest of us

2. I don't want to know what else is in Mike Gurnee's basement

3. I am doing okay

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Someone did a hit and run on my car in a carpark today. Not happy jan

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

3. I am doing okay
    im glad to hear it LP
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Yuck. Somewhere last Sat on I-95 between Delray Beach and the Ft Lauderdale airport, we passed by a business that proclaimed itself as the biggest marine taxidermy business in FL.

Really? That's a point of pride? Killing old fish?

To be fair, I have to say my dad had a sailfish taxidermied that my brother got, and a dolphin I owned until I shacked up with RJ, and gave to my nephew. It just wouldn't have matched the decor here.

Closed thread
Page 227 of 322 FirstFirst ... 217 226 227 228 237 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141