Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 228 of 322 FirstFirst ... 218 227 228 229 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I get the sense that this might be the end for the bridge: photo of tie girder crack. At some point it's like owning a used car -- how much money are you going to put into it when it needs repairs, and is it worth it?

If they repair it, I don't know how secure I'd feel driving over it, especially after a few years. The words "bridge" and "fracture critical" will be foremost in my mind.
    Easy fix, my friend. Modify your vehicle same as they do out at western Lake Erie's Bass Islands, for the winter fishing experience of driving on the frozen surface.....remove the doors before you cross.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I succumbed to the influence of another kinky fetish this morning. I hereby voluntary surrender up to three Man Card points. Or not.

We're off to the beach.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I succumbed to the influence of another kinky fetish this morning.
    I hereby voluntary surrender up to three Man Card points. Or not.
    :
    Just what did you partake in ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    I just put into motion a plan to potentially reverse my recent move. You don't know how much something means to you until you don't have it anymore.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I succumbed to the influence of another kinky fetish this morning. I hereby voluntary surrender up to three Man Card points. Or not.
    Already, way too much information!!!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    At the beach today: maybe 10-15% of what you would see on a summer weekend. It was nice. It was quiet. It was blissfully uncrowded. The water was chilled to be wonderfully refreshing. There was only that annoying tourist helicopter that kept sending the pelicans into a frenzy.

Then came the family from hell. Four lumpy Alabama "adults", and I use the term loosely, with about 15 kids, who, even though the beach was almost deserted, decided to encamp in two groups ON BOTH SIDES OF US. Yep, 10 of them 10 ft to our left, the rest, 6 feet to our right. WTF? I know some social groups don't see the same social boundaries as others but OMG. Rubbing sun lotion on each other 2 feet in front or behind of us, kicking sand up in the breeze, bad behavior, you name it. Then the teens to our right started singing to their synced, I guess, iPods; it was like an Up With People convention. (You younger cybs would have to google that one). I think it was a group of home-schooled southern Baptists, and well, there isn't much worse in the world. We left. Unfortunately, I forgot to break up the rest of the bagel I didn't eat and fling it into their midst so they could have an Alfred Hitchcock experience with the gulls.... damn...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We are in full Fall mode....which I like.

We went to see Thomas the Tank Engine LIVE this weekend. My son loved it. I swear that Thomas stuff is such a racket.... $9 for a balloon of Thomas, $18 per person for a 30 minute ride.... $4 for a slice of pizza....

Glad that doesn't come around often...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was 10 minutes late for work this morning because I stopped for coffee and when I put my keys in my jacket pocket when I was getting out of my vehicle, I somehow managed to put them between the interior lining and the exterior of the jacket.

First I spent 5 minutes searching in my Jeep and back in the coffee shop thinking I had set my keys down somewhere then I heard them jingling around inside of my jacket. It took me another 5 minutes to find the small slit in the lining they had slipped through. I was about ready to just rip a hole in the lining and pull them out!

-----------

As I typed the previous random thoughts, the following song came up on my iPod here in my cubicle. I don't think I've heard this in about 3 years... what a great song to help me ease into a Monday morning at work...

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 1998
    The Greensburg Sustainable Land Development Code won a state chapter award...yeah! But now they want some photos/slides for the presentation. How you make action photos of a document? Commissioners sitting around a table arguing?Might be harder than drafting the darn thing.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Up With People convention. (You younger cybs would have to google that one)
    Oh God. Buffalo had a local version of "Up With People" back in the 1980s called "Spirit of Youth". Strangely, the groups was heavily represented by Southtowners. They were everywhere back then.

And more proof that you can find ANYTHING online.

Only in Buffalo.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    We are in full Fall mode....which I like.

We went to see Thomas the Tank Engine LIVE this weekend. My son loved it. I swear that Thomas stuff is such a racket.... $9 for a balloon of Thomas, $18 per person for a 30 minute ride.... $4 for a slice of pizza....

Glad that doesn't come around often...

It's get better my friend. Disney shows and RBBB circus are just as good if not better at parental raping / ripoffs.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I just put into motion a plan to potentially reverse my recent move. You don't know how much something means to you until you don't have it anymore.

Do tell! Inquiring minds and all...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I wasn't halfway to work when I wished I would rather be back at home in bed. Still feel the same way almost two hours later. Had a nice weekend, but it was exhausting and it's caught up to me. I'm tired and cranky as all hell.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last week I overheard one secretary (I gather only half-jokingly) complain to another about what a backache she had from having to "lug these around".

Guys, I think we need to need to adopt a similar practice...

Don't you just hate it when that last foot or so gets shut in a door? And I'm going to have to stop buying those calf-high crew socks - the tops tend to tickle.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Sounds crazy. Best of luck.

Why does it always seem that right when you think you've got everything all figured out, that's exactly when you realize you have no idea what you're doing?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Last week I overheard one secretary (I gather only half-jokingly) complain to another about what a backache she had from having to "lug these around".

:
    Your little joke did make me giggle a bit, but have to mention that I have known some women who have had serious back problems from carrying a lot of weight from those things. Its not uncommon for reduction surgery to be medically necessary for that reason.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    If it is the secretary that I am thinking it is, I can picture her saying that!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Your little joke did make me giggle a bit, but have to mention that I have known some women who have had serious back problems from carrying a lot of weight from those things. Its not uncommon for reduction surgery to be medically necessary for that reason.
    Surgery, are you serious? Humans can't be designed that poorly. I just thought it was a form of boastful complaining (e.g. I am so upset about getting this latest award. You see, my trophy room was full and now it appears I'll have to spend three grand on a new house addition for it....)

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If it is the secretary that I am thinking it is, I can picture her saying that!
    Are you aware of any others that would be, um, qualified to make that complaint?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Are you aware of any others that would be, um, qualified to make that complaint?
    After that one April 1st... Nope.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Don't you just hate it when that last foot or so gets shut in a door? And I'm going to have to stop buying those calf-high crew socks - the tops tend to tickle.
    I wouldn't brag if MY legs were that short.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I love when people who deal with reporting don't know how to discern the pertinent information from financial statements to include in the reports. There is a huge difference between expending $1.1 million and $325K
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Surgery, are you serious? Humans can't be designed that poorly. I just thought it was a form of boastful complaining (e.g. I am so upset about getting this latest award. You see, my trophy room was full and now it appears I'll have to spend three grand on a new house addition for it....)
    I've been told surgery could also fix your problem.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Then came the family from hell. Four lumpy Alabama "adults", and I use the term loosely, with about 15 kids, who, even though the beach was almost deserted, decided to encamp in two groups ON BOTH SIDES OF US. Yep, 10 of them 10 ft to our left, the rest, 6 feet to our right. WTF? I know some social groups don't see the same social boundaries as others but OMG...
    Hahahaha! I completely feel your pain on this one. This happens to MW and I all the time and we can never figure it out. There is a big open beautiful beach, why o why would you want to be sitting 5 feet from us? We've even had people come up and sit right in the middle of our stuff while we are taking a dip. Empty beach in both directions and you decide the best place to sit is between our umbrella and cooler and our towels? People are clueless. In the past we have just picked up all our gear and relocated to get away from people like that, usually rather curmudgeonly.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I love when people who deal with reporting don't know how to discern the pertinent information from financial statements to include in the reports. There is a huge difference between expending $1.1 million and $325K
    TIF = Government spending money. I love uninformed reporters. You can try and explain what it means or how it is structured, but most the time they have an agenda or already think that A. You are lying, or B. You aren't telling the truth.

I am sure that it was just a "mistake" and that they will correct it.... right?

Something like that. However it is not fair to point fingers at my predecessor because he was not a finance guy, but one should be able to discern if the set of financial statements contain the information you need or not. There IS a difference between total amount spent on Project X and total amount submitted for govt reimbursement that has been spent on Project X. My boss couldn't figure out why the funding entity was getting concerned about meeting the 50% spending target by February 15th. Now I know why!
    Last edited by kjel; 19 Sep 2011 at 4:11 PM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Hahahaha! I completely feel your pain on this one. This happens to MW and I all the time and we can never figure it out. There is a big open beautiful beach, why o why would you want to be sitting 5 feet from us? We've even had people come up and sit right in the middle of our stuff while we are taking a dip. Empty beach in both directions and you decide the best place to sit is between our umbrella and cooler and our towels? People are clueless. In the past we have just picked up all our gear and relocated to get away from people like that, usually rather curmudgeonly.
    We tried both lighting up cigs since the wind was blowing their way but they just picked up and moved 6 feet forward. And of course I said a few choice phrases about people with no manners. But they'll get theirs, if they already haven't. I heard one of the teenagers tell another one "Mom says we have to use suntan lotion today because it's our first day here, but after today we'll be OK." Idiots.

Closed thread
Page 228 of 322 FirstFirst ... 218 227 228 229 238 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141