Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 237 of 322 FirstFirst ... 227 236 237 238 247 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think I just had the first conversation I’ve ever been part of that included the phrase “if you take the Jersey Turnpike…”
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I never get tired of the different subtitles of the Hitler movie clip
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    They are great aren't they? I was hoping they did one for the braves' collapse, but nay..

on second thought...

follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I think I just had the first conversation I’ve ever been part of that included the phrase “if you take the Jersey Turnpike…”
    Doesn't count unless you are talking about exits....Exit 9 for me

The Wizard liked my development budget and pro forma despite the gap in funding, liked our ideas about closing the gap, and told me I didn't have to acquire any more property for a while. Good day and my boss who is not budget or pro forma savvy finally walked away from one clearly understanding how it works. One step closer to being retained permanently after my 90 day probation.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post

The Wizard liked my development budget and pro forma despite the gap in funding, liked our ideas about closing the gap, and told me I didn't have to acquire any more property for a while. Good day and my boss who is not budget or pro forma savvy finally walked away from one clearly understanding how it works. One step closer to being retained permanently after my 90 day probation.
    Good work! Does the boss have a strong sense of self-worth or will she feel threatened by your knowledge?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kltoomians View post
    It's really sad...but I've seen it here, as well...with exposed chest hair...and also chewing gum on camera (makes one look like a cow chewing cud).

We also have to make sure our tables are skirted to avoid a "show" from the ladies with short skirts...[sigh].

I have yet to see a commissioner wear overalls... Are your commissioners paid, or appointed volunteers?
    They're all paid in Florida. There's a formula based on population of the county, I think, so there's a wide range across the state. Every year there is a hue and cry for them to reduce their pay, but they can't, it's not up to them.

Well, I guess Hawaiian shirts aren't much worse than the last two places I worked, where we had a commissioner at each place who wore a business suit with cowboy boots and a stetson, in Florida! Well, we do have a lot of cattle ranchers here, but both of those commissioners owned insurance agencies (one was also apparently a cocaine dealer, so he didn't last long..).

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Good work! Does the boss have a strong sense of self-worth or will she feel threatened by your knowledge?
    I have the most awesome boss and she's amazing at what she does. Although she's a fellow grad from my planning program 10 years prior to me she's mostly been involved on the community outreach and organizing side of community development. She's not as well versed on the housing production and finance side of things which is part of the reason I was hired. We are both equally skilled in different areas so we work extremely well as a team and learn from each other all the time. She's a true delight after having worked for the Dragon Lady and Micromanaging Passive Aggressive.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Good job!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Exit 7, apparently...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Usually when one has breakfast for dinner it's a signal of desperation...we're out of food/money/time/ideas etc. but last night we planned a breakfast FEAST for dinner. Malted pancakes, apple sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs with dill and ham, rye toast, donuts, and washed down with cider. Mmm mmm!
    Last edited by Maister; 30 Sep 2011 at 8:54 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Or the Parkway down to shore - Exit 63
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think allergies have caught up to me. I thought I would be able to outrun them this Fall....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone ever heard 'Chim chim' used as a slang term before? What is/would be its correct usage?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Has anyone ever heard 'Chim chim' used as a slang term before? What is/would be its correct usage?
    Speed Racer?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    a certain part of the male anatomy used as a derogatory term
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Singularly it's a not so nice word referring to female anatomy in slang Vietnamese

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Usually when one has breakfast for dinner it's a signal of desperation...we're out of food/money/time/ideas etc. but last night we planned a breakfast FEAST for dinner. Malted pancakes, apple sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs with dill and ham, rye toast, donuts, and washed down with cider. Mmm mmm!
    That feast sounds amazing!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Speed Racer?
    I'm impressed you knew that.
    Last edited by Maister; 30 Sep 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: decided to be nicer

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Don't be such a chim chim!
    All that primate thinkin' broke off leg and elbow
    A fruit bowl delight of power knockin' down any door
    Chim Chim's laughin' at you and he's slammin' you to the floor

Chim Chim's Badass Revenge... - Fishbone

Registered
    May 2005
    All this talk of Chim Chims made me think of this. It was in a picture of a billboard somewhere that popped up in my Facebook feed. Note, may not be suitable for work iewing (depending on where you work), so I've cloaked it. Its not terrible, but I don't want to get anyonein trouble...

Religion is like a penis
    Its fine to have one.
    Its fine to be proud of it.
    But please don’t whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE don’t try to shove it down my children’s throat!

I almost spit out my coffee I thought this was so funny.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2002
    A few weeks ago Mrs. Otis and I went to visit some friends. They are a couple with no kids at home. In the garage: a BMW SUV and a Corvette. In the driveway: a Jeep Grand Cherokee. In the shop: a 1932 Ford, a 1956 Ford, and a 1962 Studebaker. Next to the shop: a 40' motor home, a pontoon boat on a trailer, and a Sinclair Oil tow truck. Down the hill from the house (maybe 50 yards away): a vintage travel trailer. They got between the travel trailer and the house using the two 4-wheel ATV,s. The chopper they had the last time had seen them was gone.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    A few weeks ago Mrs. Otis and I went to visit some friends. They are a couple with no kids at home. In the garage: a BMW SUV and a Corvette. In the driveway: a Jeep Grand Cherokee. In the shop: a 1932 Ford, a 1956 Ford, and a 1962 Studebaker. Next to the shop: a 40' motor home, a pontoon boat on a trailer, and a Sinclair Oil tow truck. Down the hill from the house (maybe 50 yards away): a vintage travel trailer. They got between the travel trailer and the house using the two 4-wheel ATV,s. The chopper they had the last time had seen them was gone.
    Are you friends with Peter Egan? (any true car guy will know who I'm talking about and nod their head )

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    If you've never seen the actual movie "Downfall"(aka "Der Untergang"), you should.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 30 Sep 2011 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Seq. posts
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    If you've never seen the actual movie "Downfall"(aka "Der Untergang"), you should.
    We just saw that movie a few weeks ago. Fascinating and highly recommended.

Love Wahday's NFWS post!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    All this talk of Chim Chims made me think of this. It was in a picture of a billboard somewhere that popped up in my Facebook feed. Note, may not be suitable for work iewing (depending on where you work), so I've cloaked it. Its not terrible, but I don't want to get anyonein trouble...

Religion is like a penis
    Its fine to have one.
    Its fine to be proud of it.
    But please don’t whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE don’t try to shove it down my children’s throat!

I almost spit out my coffee I thought this was so funny.
    I choked a bit on my coke. Thanks I needed that.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Between the dogs barking in their sleep every few hours, one of the dogs routinely getting up and stepping on the other one causing a fit of barking, the two cats wrestling on my bed, and one of the cats batting at my face, I managed 3 hours of sleep. I even got up and kicked them all out of my room and they still managed to keep me up.

_______
    Edit: This cheered me right up!

Unfortunately, the government will never force big candy corporations to label their boxed chocolates, as this would leave them with nowhere to hide the country's disgusting deposits of cherry cordials. To help, here's a guide to knowing which chocolates are safe to eat:

Round: Eat. This will be filled with delicious coconut, the only nut with no calories and no anger that you are eating it, willingly sacrificing its life to sustain your own. Are you happy now?

Square: Do not eat. Chocolate does not naturally have corners. If it does, there's no explanation and it's uncomfortable to even think about.

Oval: Bite into this one carefully. If it's nougat—swallow. If it's not nougat, it's bird food—leave it for your spouse or children to eat. Especially if either happen to be a bird.

Lumpy: Enclose this in your hand until it melts. All of the polished rocks and metal treasures that were lurking below its surface will suddenly be revealed.

Rectangle: Eat. This one must be caramel. It just has to be.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 237 of 322 FirstFirst ... 227 236 237 238 247 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM