Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 245 of 322 FirstFirst ... 235 244 245 246 255 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,125 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    RJ - that looks like a fitting Merlot color of a bruise.
    It's not a bruise; rather, it's a scrape. That merlot is the rascal of the vineyard....or is pinot noir the rascal of the vineyard? I forget.

Registered
    Sep 1999

Netflix kills plan to split mail, streaming

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...s-on-qwikster/

Y'know, I honestly did not understanding the outrage over netflix price increases (although I do think the split thingy was awkward); so you can have unlimited DVDs and streaming for $12, and it's going up a few? These people probably have no concept of how staggeringly prices for technology have dropped (anyone remember the days of paying by the minute for any long-distance call, and what that could add up to?)

Yes, I'm an old fart, but I remember the first VCRs for $1200, the second generation for $700 to $900 (with a wired remote; cool!). Rentals for one tape averaged 9 bucks. A new release tape? $70-$90. Yep, for one movie. We rented the machines and the tapes in the bookstore I managed; if a customer didn't return 2 or 3 of them, it was cheaper to file in small claims court and have a deputy deliver a summons than to lose the tapes.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post

Y'know, I honestly did not understanding the outrage over netflix price increases (although I do think the split thingy was awkward); so you can have unlimited DVDs and streaming for $12, and it's going up a few? These people probably have no concept of how staggeringly prices for technology have dropped (anyone remember the days of paying by the minute for any long-distance call, and what that could add up to?)

Yes, I'm an old fart, but I remember the first VCRs for $1200, the second generation for $700 to $900 (with a wired remote; cool!). Rentals for one tape averaged 9 bucks. A new release tape? $70-$90. Yep, for one movie. We rented the machines and the tapes in the bookstore I managed; if a customer didn't return 2 or 3 of them, it was cheaper to file in small claims court and have a deputy deliver a summons than to lose the tapes.
    Remember the song Sylvia's Mother by Dr. Hook? That pay-phone rate was in 1971!

Yea, and decent cathode-ray tube TV sets were $500-1K only 10 years ago, too! Now Goodwill (et al) won't even accept them.

BTW, Redbox is still $1/day for DVD rentals - go over 25 or so days without returning it and the rental clock stops running - it's yours to keep, you bought it!

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post

Consider this analogy. Coke-a-Cola has been selling 6-packs of Coke for some time for $3.00.

Under their new pricing scheme, they will now sell 4-packs of Coke (same sized cans), but the new price will be $5.00.

That's basically what Netflix did. 60% price increase, while they are losing streaming content, and replacing the lost streaming content with TV shows and not really movies (or movies no one wants to see).

This separation of web sites for the streaming and by-mail service was only part of what pissed everyone off. The main complaints haven't been resolved. The price increase is still there, the content is not, and keeping them on one web site does nothing to change that.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    Consider this analogy. Coke-a-Cola has been selling 6-packs of Coke for some time for $3.00.

Under their new pricing scheme, they will now sell 4-packs of Coke (same sized cans), but the new price will be $5.00.

That's basically what Netflix did. 60% price increase, while they are losing streaming content, and replacing the lost streaming content with TV shows and not really movies (or movies no one wants to see).

This separation of web sites for the streaming and by-mail service was only part of what pissed everyone off. The main complaints haven't been resolved. The price increase is still there, the content is not, and keeping them on one web site does nothing to change that.
    I don't use the streaming stuff; my son does, and while he's gotten interested in a lot of shows he might not have otherwise (Like Star Trek: the Next Generation), he has always said it lacks a lot in its movie offerings.

Of course, there are a number of movie providers consumers can choose from. I guess my main point was, even with the price increase, it's way way cheaper than getting movies from Blockbuster only a few years ago, and a tiny fraction of early movie rental costs (miniscule if you add in inflation).

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post

Exactly, plus the costs Netflix has to pay never went up either.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    What the hell is going on here?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I feel tired today. Like 3 cups of coffee tired.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'll have to add this to next year's calendar: Daiquiri Days in NOLA

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I realized this is odd and in the spirit of always sharing way too much, here you go.

So here's a typical night with my youngest (Luke, 3 yrs) who cannot fall asleep unless I rock him in the rocking chair and sing to him. The interesting part is the lullaby selections that come from him. For two months it's bee the same.

Luke: Daddy sing to me, peez.

ursus: What song tonight, buddy?

Luke: (sleepy sleepy eyes...) Spiderman.

ursus: (very softly, gently, soothingly):
    spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can,
    spins a web, any size,
    catches thieves, just like flies - look out .... here comes the spider man
    is he strong? listen bud,
    he's got radio-active blood....

and on it goes and he falls asleep. I love that weird little kid.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I realized this is odd and in the spirit of always sharing way too much, here you go.

So here's a typical night with my youngest (Luke, 3 yrs) who cannot fall asleep unless I rock him in the rocking chair and sing to him. The interesting part is the lullaby selections that come from him. For two months it's bee the same.

spins a web, any size,

LOL! Junior has occasionally made some pretty odd nighty night time song requests. He must have heard me singing it, because one time he asked me to sing "that 1814 song" (ie. Battle of New Orleans)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    LOL! Junior has occasionally made some pretty odd nighty night time song requests. He must have heard me singing it, because one time he asked me to sing "that 1814 song" (ie. Battle of New Orleans)
    Oh, they like that one too. Also the parts I can remember of the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "Ballad of Billy the Kid" (Billy Joel) a whole lot of Kingston Trio, James Taylor and the like. The only thing I seem never to sing are actual lullabies. I guess a few my mom taught me could be considered lullabies.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Our office got a new pop machine today and it accepts $1 and $5 bills, quarters, and $1 coins. I haven't bought a pop from a machine in years but I'm going to buy one today or tomorrow with a $5 just to see if it gives $1 coins as change.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Our office got a new pop machine today and it accepts $1 and $5 bills, quarters, and $1 coins. I haven't bought a pop from a machine in years but I'm going to buy one today or tomorrow with a $5 just to see if it gives $1 coins as change.
    With my luck it would give me quarters back.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm surprised I haven't heard more grumbling about the hit the stock market took the past few months. I think I lost just as much if not more this time than from when the bubble burst.

Registered
    May 2005
    So nearly three months ago I left my job and took a new job 2.5 hours away. It was a fairly sizeable pay raise and I would be very close to my home town. I was not unhappy with my former job, but the new opportunity had many pluses. I interviewed twice and accepted the job in a matter of a few days.

The move resulted in us renting out the house we owned and putting the girls into a new charter school. We are currently living with family. My wife's employer set her up to work from home. Most of our belongings are in my MIL's basement, untill we were able to get a new place of our own.

After about a month or so, I began to miss my former life terribly, and contemplated seeing if I could get my job back. But after thinking hard, we decided to stay put with the new job and move.

Last week, my former employer asked me to return, with a pay increase, as well as the understanding that certain other staff changes would be made upon my return, including the merging of two departments that I had been pushing. I counter-offered with a higher salary, which would basically match the compensation at the new job. I did it largely on principal, because I was ready for them to turn it down and would have been perfectly fine staying where we were.

Today, they accepted my counter-offer. Now, we are contemplating a second cross-state move, back to West Michigan.

Problems: (1) Our house that we still own is leased through next August. I/we would have to find a place to stay. (2) The girls are two months into school, and their former school is a charter, where we aren't guranteed to be able to get them back in. My wife and girls may stay behind with my family through the school year, if we can't get them in. (3) The physical toll of a second cross-state move within a year.

Knowing all of this, we are leaning towards me going back to my former job.

I've realized that Grand Rapids is more of a home town to me than anywhere I've lived, including my hometown. It really is a special place. Maybe that will change in the future if we decide to stay put. You can't predict the future.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005

spins a web, any size,

I love Tenacious D. That is all.

--------------------

Derek Jeter may not be a complete idiot...
    http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/dere...-rss&FEEDNAME=
    Last edited by Hink; 11 Oct 2011 at 4:04 PM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Oh, they like that one too. Also the parts I can remember of the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "Ballad of Billy the Kid" (Billy Joel) a whole lot of Kingston Trio, James Taylor and the like. The only thing I seem never to sing are actual lullabies. I guess a few my mom taught me could be considered lullabies.
    The nightly ritual for my son and I for years was my recitation of the poem "The Finn Who Wouldn't Take a Sauna," by Garrison Keillor. It started when he was a baby and he was fussy. The poem takes about five minutes to recite and that was about how long it would take him to get to sleep. Then it just became a bedtime ritual. I suppose I must have done it 3,000+ times.

It has a soothing cadence and the only problem I would have was if I got interrupted. You might think after reciting it so often that I could just pick up where I left off, but I couldn't. Once I lost my place I was stymied. I would just go to the last stanza and end it.

I remember one camping trip - after a long drive to the Olympia National Park - I was reciting it and I was so tired that I fell asleep twice in the middle of the poem and my son woke me up to finish. Interestingly enough, that time I was able to pick up right where I left off.

Way up in Minnesota
    Where there is no mountain range
    Where people say "yah, sure you bet."
    And some things never change . . .
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    The nightly ritual for my son and I for years was my recitation of the poem "The Finn Who Wouldn't Take a Sauna," by Garrison Keillor.

Way up in Minnesota
    Where there is no mountain range
    Where people say "yah, sure you bet."
    And some things never change . . .
    That. Is. Awesome. I'm stealing that from you. My girls will love that one.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Only 18 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes, and 5 seconds until I leave for LA for a few days. I asked my little brother what the temperature was like in LA at this time of year so I would know what kind of clothes to pack and he said lately it has been in the 70s during the day and 50s at night. I cannot wait to feel 50 degrees again! This burst of joy made me think about pumpkins and corn and fall leaves and the first big snowfall of the year and I am now super homesick. Must have applebutter and kettle corn!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2008

in the weeds...

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    This burst of joy made me think about pumpkins and corn and fall leaves and the first big snowfall of the year and I am now super homesick. Must have applebutter and kettle corn!
    October is definitely the most pensive of the months. Something about the sunlight, the change in temperature. I'm always "in the weeds" in October. That's what my dad calls it. When you spend time thinking about all the things from the past, the little memories, the big what-ifs. How productive is it on a Monday afternoon for a forty year old paper-pusher like me to spend time thinking about dandelion beaches and the copy of Leaves of Grass in my back pocket that October afternoon when I finally dared to lean in and kiss that girl?

Oh, I'm in the weeds alright. TS, sounds like you're heading for them too.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Dept of Corporate Blunders

GM has released a new campaign to try to get college kids to buy new cars. "Stop pedaling, start driving" is one tagline. (Care to guess my reaction??)

Another image shows an unhappy pedestrian holding an umbrella, victim of a drive-by splashing.

Good grief.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I never sang to the kid at bedtime because I didn't want to make him cry.

Instead, I read to him. Holding him on my lap when he was a toddler. When he got a little older, I had to give him a nice long foot rub, then sit next to his bed and read. When he hit 6 or so, I started playing audio books for him at bedtime.

One of my favorite moments was when he was 4 or 5 and he "read" to me: "Mike Mulligan & His Steam Engine". I think he memorized it, page by page, over a couple years. And yes, I got it all on tape.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Who really cares that it's Cephalopod Awareness Days ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Only 18 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes, and 5 seconds until I leave for LA for a few days. I asked my little brother what the temperature was like in LA at this time of year so I would know what kind of clothes to pack and he said lately it has been in the 70s during the day and 50s at night. I cannot wait to feel 50 degrees again! This burst of joy made me think about pumpkins and corn and fall leaves and the first big snowfall of the year and I am now super homesick. Must have applebutter and kettle corn!
    Pumpkins? In LA? I recall visiting in Dec and seeing fake frosted Xmas trees. Is that your only stop this trip?

Closed thread
Page 245 of 322 FirstFirst ... 235 244 245 246 255 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141