Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 262 of 322 FirstFirst ... 252 261 262 263 272 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

  1. #6526
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Playing at a movie theater near you
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    My 500-page SEIR for a 160-acre industrial development was certified today - whoot!

    6 years to get approval for a project that no one cared about - no one came to scoping meetings, no one called staff ever to ask about it, no one showed up to hearing... yet it still took 6 years. Kind of ironic to go through that hellish process, only for your document to be approved on consent
    The question is... did you get a pass from caltrans or DF&G? If so..i'll give ya some dap .
    No Signature Required

  2. #6527
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    The question is... did you get a pass from caltrans or DF&G? If so..i'll give ya some dap .

    Well, I guess they cared about it... Caltrans because one of their planned facilities sort of traverses Phases 2-4 of the TM... But they didn't care enough to contest the project since they're just going to condemn the property they need anyways (and then they get to deal with the nifty drainage on-site that we had to realign and keep above ground - most likely, in true Caltrans fashion, by undergrounding the danged thing). We tried working with them, but they wouldn't ever give design info when we met with them (multiple times)...

    Wildlife Agencies worked with us and extracted their blood during the process (as they always do).

    I guess I meant no one from the "public" (i.e., citizens) cared
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  3. #6528
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    17,456
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    My 500-page SEIR for a 160-acre industrial development was certified today - whoot!

    6 years to get approval for a project that no one cared about - no one came to scoping meetings, no one called staff ever to ask about it, no one showed up to hearing... yet it still took 6 years. Kind of ironic to go through that hellish process, only for your document to be approved on consent
    A supplemental approved on the consent calendar rather than a public hearing? I guess CEQA has changed since I left the Golden State. Good for you.

    Question: Will the project get built?
    Annoyingly insensitive

  4. #6529
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,856
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Everyone should play at least one instrument. You have no excuse not to, unless you hate music, in which case you suck.
    It's been awhile, but I used to play drums. Lots more fun that the piano lessons I was forced into for years, and I had no talent for that. Or ballet. Or tumbling. Or softball or tennis. Yeah, my parents had the kinda overachiever kid thing going in the '60's.

  5. #6530
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    A supplemental approved on the consent calendar rather than a public hearing? I guess CEQA has changed since I left the Golden State. Good for you.

    Question: Will the project get built?

    Consent just means all the commissioners had reviewed the project and had no concerns approving it, and that no one showed up objecting it. No need to hold a public hearing for something when there is no public and no objections from the ones who need to approve it... That hasn't changed over the years, btw. It's just that most projects used to slip through with MNDs and the like, with EIRs required mostly only for controversial projects. These days, even non-controversial projects (worthy of being on the consent agenda) get sucked into EIRs. (And CEQA doesn't have any specific requirements for hearings - it encourages them, but also says an EIR can be certified in the same manner as the project itself - in this case, the TM approval process).

    As to whether it will get built, yes it will... without getting into too much detail (and possibly getting myself into trouble), it's near a major planned transportation facility that will facilitate um... more than just domestic trade It will have to be re-designed at some point due to that facility, though, but Phase 1 is in the clear.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  6. #6531
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    17,456
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Consent just means all the commissioners had reviewed the project and had no concerns approving it, and that no one showed up objecting it. No need to hold a public hearing for something when there is no public and no objections from the ones who need to approve it... That hasn't changed over the years, btw. .......
    If I were the commissioners' attorney, I would have advised that they advertise a public hearing, hold a public hearing, close the hearing, and then certify the supplemental. It's called covering your arse.

    But it's been 10 years since I've worked under California CEQA guidelines and I'm not an attorney. And that's all good...for me.


    EDIT: RAF, what are your thoughts here?
    Annoyingly insensitive

  7. #6532
    Cyburbian dw914er's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Everyone should play at least one instrument. You have no excuse not to, unless you hate music, in which case you suck.


    Yes they should.

  8. #6533
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Playing at a movie theater near you
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    If I were the commissioners' attorney, I would have advised that they advertise a public hearing, hold a public hearing, close the hearing, and then certify the supplemental. It's called covering your arse.

    But it's been 10 years since I've worked under California CEQA guidelines and I'm not an attorney. And that's all good...for me.


    EDIT: RAF, what are your thoughts here?
    I would have also advised a public hearing. Ya know, the whole "exhausting all your opportunities" kind of thing. With no public hearing, (even if someone didn't like and not written a comment) a public hearing is the last straw you have to voice some sort of concern that the courts find legit (and grounds for appeal of a certified EIR). But Tarf isn't council, nor commission, just the consultant. If the Sierra Club sues, i am sure the jurisdiction will throw them under a bus for whatever reason . But hey, a large project going out with a wimper.. been there done that
    No Signature Required

  9. #6534
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    21,289
    Oklahoma Cyburbian - so did you feel the earthquake ?

  10. #6535
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    9,481
    Have you filed for your Secretion Santa yet - look at the sticky above - it is fun in a very random way!

  11. #6536
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Playing at a movie theater near you
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    If you need to know here ya go: http://tebowing.com/
    Pre mac & Cheese tebow...

    No Signature Required

  12. #6537
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Pre mac & Cheese tebow...

    Absolutely hilarious. Seriously. I spit out my "Ohio State won, Michigan lost beer..."
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  13. #6538
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,856
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Pre mac & Cheese tebow...

    She's got it just right. Maybe even better than Tim.

  14. #6539
    Cyburbian TexanOkie's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,904
    Yes, I felt the earthquake. So for those of you unaware, central Oklahoma just experienced a 5.6 M earthquake. Shook our house. Lasted about 30 seconds. Dog freaked out. Deep, deep rumble - you could hear it before it started to shake things around. OK doesn't have too much going for it, weather-wise. Heat, drought, blizzards, tornadoes, dust storms, monster-sized hail, wildfires, constant 20 mph+ winds. Earthquakes are not supposed to be in the mix. All we need now are hurricanes . . .

    I do not like earthquakes, it turns out.

  15. #6540
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    17,456
    I sincerely wish that life was played like low-ball poker; the worst hand wins the pot. We had a 9-7-5-3-A dealt to us yesterday.
    _________________

    We refilled the hot tub yesterday. The heater and pump shut off this morning. Now I need to check the pH and chlorine levels and we are set to go.
    Annoyingly insensitive

  16. #6541
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    Here's a really random thought.....or, rather, comment.....

    In the 1950s my father was on the Board of Directors of the Ohio contingent of the National Restaurant Association. Herman Cain might have been reading "Pop's" playbook. Sorry, Dad, just speaking the truth. I loved you but I also know how you operated.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  17. #6542
    Cyburbian TOFB's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Loma Linda's
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Oklahoma Cyburbian - so did you feel the earthquake ?
    I felt it too. First one ever. I didn't know what it was, maybe some big slow lumbering truck somewhere in the neighborhood but I couldn't figure out in what direction.

    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Yes, I felt the earthquake. So for those of you unaware, central Oklahoma just experienced a 5.6 M earthquake. Shook our house. Lasted about 30 seconds. Dog freaked out. Deep, deep rumble - you could hear it before it started to shake things around. OK doesn't have too much going for it, weather-wise. Heat, drought, blizzards, tornadoes, dust storms, monster-sized hail, wildfires, constant 20 mph+ winds. Earthquakes are not supposed to be in the mix. All we need now are hurricanes . . .

    I do not like earthquakes, it turns out.
    Yes there was some deep almost subsonic rumble. Cool stuff!

  18. #6543
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,188
    I've reached a few conclusions today:

    One, that I am seriously addicted to the show Pysch. Love it!

    and

    Second, that there is such a thing as being too type A and too detailed oriented, and that there is nothing worse than to be able to recognize it but not be able to chill the *&%$ out, even when you realize you probably should for your own sanity.

  19. #6544
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    12,799
    I hate when my hands are cold in the morning.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  20. #6545
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I hate when my hands are cold in the morning.
    I feel bad when my hands are cold and I have to shake someone's hand.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  21. #6546
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,856
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I feel bad when my hands are cold and I have to shake someone's hand.
    I feel bad when RJ's hands are cold and he feels compelled to stick them up my shirt.

  22. #6547
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    21,289
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I feel bad when RJ's hands are cold and he feels compelled to stick them up my shirt.
    Panhandle TMI.

    I hate this time of year - knuckles turn white and crack open - if I don't apply cream they have bleed.

  23. #6548
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I feel bad when my hands are cold and I have to shake someone's hand.
    My point exactly. I feel bad for the old ladies who probably can't take the chill... gloves just don't do it for me I guess...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  24. #6549
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,588
    Blog entries
    5
    So much fun having property management duties....I have a lunch date with the utility so they can remove the old gas meters in a recently rehabbed property and turn on the transmitters to the new meters that were installed. They gave me 12-4 as a window of time. Sitting at a vacant house is so much fun
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  25. #6550
    Cyburbian TerraSapient's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Glass City
    Posts
    2,610
    Vacation was awesome! LA was a riot, though I could never live there. Way too big for me. Hermosa Beach is the cutest.

    Santa Barbara is heaven on earth. The architecture. The mountains. The bay. The wine. Now I just need $1.7M so I can buy a house there and live happily ever after.

    BTW for those not in the know, Rhone varietals will knock your socks off. I had no idea how much I truly love them.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Closed thread
Page 262 of 322 FirstFirst ... 252 261 262 263 272 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 5:27 PM