Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 263 of 322 FirstFirst ... 253 262 263 264 273 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    BTW for those not in the know, Rhone varietals will knock your socks off. I had no idea how much I truly love them.
    Please join us in the Neverending Wine Thread... you are now welcome there.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Please join us in the Neverending Wine Thread... you are now welcome there.
    What do you mean? She DID post here in the Neverending Whine Thread!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I've reached a few conclusions today:

One, that I am seriously addicted to the show Pysch. Love it!
    It is a great show!

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm so sick of hearing stories about children being abused. What can I do to have the most impact to make $#$% like this stop? What organization can I join and donate too, to have the biggest impact? Seriously, I'm going to stop reading the news altogether.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

I hate this time of year - knuckles turn white and crack open - if I don't apply cream they have bleed.
    Get a good hand cream and a pair of gloves infused with aloe or other therapeutic stuff (I got mine at Kohl's but any drugstore should have them; they are made for just this purpose); slather your hands with cream, put on the gloves and wear overnight for a few nights or as long as it takes. Worked wonders on my hands last winter.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm so sick of hearing stories about children being abused. What can I do to have the most impact to make $#$% like this stop? What organization can I join and donate too, to have the biggest impact? Seriously, I'm going to stop reading the news altogether.
    Both of these stories are bad -
    penn state coach
    dead child id theft
    is there a third story ?

In my fair city we have have Holly's House
    To provide a safe reporting location for victims of intimate crimes, their families, and communities while providing support, promoting justice, and preventing violence.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm looking at a possible career move into the field of 'mad science'. The qualifications seem fairly attainable: white lab coat - check, eccentric personality - check, maniacal laugh - check, castle/island/or other remote location - have my realtor looking into it. So far so good, but when it comes to equipment I'm having a tougher time. Sure the beakers/test tubes filled with colored liquids, and bunsen burners have been easy enough to find, but I'm running into real problems finding one of those machines with the electrical current that goes 'ZZZZZT......ZZZZZT.....ZZZZT.....' I've checked ebay, craigslist, everywhere and can't find a good used model any place. You really can't do the whole mad scientist thing without one, so any suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Andy Rooney's Career Leadership Lesson

Pursuing a successful career isn’t about money and power. It is about examining life, engaging life with vengeance, through reason.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    So the utility company wanted to argue with me that they couldn't remove the meters because they have mold on them. Yeah asshole, it's in a basement and been there for 40 some odd years which is why the new ones are located where they are. He calls his field supervisor who tells him to stop laying an egg, put the meters in a garbage bag and hit the road $300 credit coming our way soon.

Got back to the office and my boss tells me don't come to work Friday. I ask why and she says it's Veteran's Day and we're closed. Free day!!!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm looking at a possible career move into the field of 'mad science'. The qualifications seem fairly attainable: white lab coat - check, eccentric personality - check, maniacal laugh - check, castle/island/or other remote location - have my realtor looking into it. So far so good, but when it comes to equipment I'm having a tougher time. Sure the beakers/test tubes filled with colored liquids, and bunsen burners have been easy enough to find, but I'm running into real problems finding one of those machines with the electrical current that goes 'ZZZZZT......ZZZZZT.....ZZZZT.....' I've checked ebay, craigslist, everywhere and can't find a good used model any place. You really can't do the whole mad scientist thing without one, so any suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated.
    Here you go Maister
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    but I'm running into real problems finding one of those machines with the electrical current that goes 'ZZZZZT......ZZZZZT.....ZZZZT.....' I've checked ebay, craigslist, everywhere and can't find a good used model any place.
    Amazon. They have several models, some as low as 59.95. Take a look at this one: less than $90.00: http://www.amazon.com/Wimshurst-Mach.../dp/B004749MZO

It's alive! ALIVE!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Amazon. They have several models, some as low as 59.95. Take a look at this one: less than $90.00: http://www.amazon.com/Wimshurst-Mach.../dp/B004749MZO

It's alive! ALIVE!
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient
    Here you go Maister
    Now we're talking! Thanks guys. I really hate to bother you any more but there is one other little thing. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can rent a hunchback for gopher work and the occasional "yessss massster" comment? Thanks again!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Now we're talking! Thanks guys. I really hate to bother you any more but there is one other little thing. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can rent a hunchback for gopher work and the occasional "yessss massster" comment? Thanks again! .
    Beyond Igor, who will be your pretty lab assistant and the old housekeeper, like frau Blucher ?
    Last edited by JNA; 07 Nov 2011 at 6:05 PM.
    Oddball

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Now we're talking! Thanks guys. I really hate to bother you any more but there is one other little thing. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can rent a hunchback for gopher work and the occasional "yessss massster" comment? Thanks again!
    If you google "Igor for hire" you get some pretty interesting results.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Probably a thread elsewhere for this but...

Passed AICP exam this afternoon. Whoot! Now I get to pay $500 a year and get new business cards!

And what a silly, silly little test So many questions feel like: "If your life is in danger, should you: a) run, b) scream, c) curl up into a ball, or d) evaluate the long term consequences of your decisions." Not that it was easy... Though I still question the degree to which the test measures your worth as a planner vs. your general intelligence. I tend in fact to think it's the latter, provided someone spends the minimal amount of time to memorize people, history, law, basic planning theories, statistics/data collection, etc.

Thing that sucks is, I took that AICP to bolster (in a minor way) my applications for PhD programs, but AICP takes 8 weeks to formally notify you - meaning I can't *officially* claim AICP until after the application deadlines for 3/4 of the programs, and *might* get notification in time to claim it for the 4th program. On that point - is it worth including on my resume that I "passed" the AICP exam, even though I can't officially claim AICP until they send me the stupid letter and I pay the absurd $500?

At any rate, glad it's over. Combined with my GRE (which I took in September), this makes for the end of about 6 months of non-stop studying Except only now I get to work on my Statements of Purpose, writing samples, and finish my applications
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

Passed AICP exam this afternoon. Whoot! Now I get to pay $500 a year and get new business cards!

And what a silly, silly little test So many questions feel like: "If your life is in danger, should you: a) run, b) scream, c) curl up into a ball, or d) evaluate the long term consequences of your decisions." Not that it was easy... Though I still question the degree to which the test measures your worth as a planner vs. your general intelligence. I tend in fact to think it's the latter, provided someone spends the minimal amount of time to memorize people, history, law, basic planning theories, statistics/data collection, etc.

Thing that sucks is, I took that AICP to bolster (in a minor way) my applications for PhD programs, but AICP takes 8 weeks to formally notify you - meaning I can't *officially* claim AICP until after the application deadlines for 3/4 of the programs, and *might* get notification in time to claim it for the 4th program. On that point - is it worth including on my resume that I "passed" the AICP exam, even though I can't officially claim AICP until they send me the stupid letter and I pay the absurd $500?

At any rate, glad it's over. Combined with my GRE (which I took in September), this makes for the end of about 6 months of non-stop studying Except only now I get to work on my Statements of Purpose, writing samples, and finish my applications
    Congrats! Goodluck on the PhD applications. I think I would still put the achievement on the application. If anyone asks, tell them that you passed the exam on Nov. 7th and that the official notification had not been sent yet.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

Congrats on passing. I took, and passed it in 2000.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Both of these stories are bad -
    penn state coach
    dead child id theft
    is there a third story ?
    Judge William Adams, a family court judge in ... yeah, Texas. . He brutally beat his daughter, who has a form of cerebral palsy, and it was captured on video. The videos are online, and they'll make you cry. If you have kids, you'll want to hug them.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Now I've come in and out of the building 3 times today and each time I have to run "the candidate guantlet" trying to sway my vote.

First of all, it's the 3rd time I've past you, some recognition mught kick in. Secondly, I've met with one of you on official business, Hello?

I'm going out the back door for the rest of the day and walk around the entire building to avoid the mish mash.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Happy World Town Planning Day! Today, let us reflect on the accomplishments and wisdom of the ancient planners; the builders of Zimbabwe, Shibam and Bairat. I'll be celebrating with some bikram yoga, a vegan lunch, and a Ghanan folk music festival tonight.

EDIT: a change to the FAQ.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Junior has been busy lately memorizing words for a song he will sing with a group of kids at church (a UU church) for an upcoming service which will have ‘tolerance’ as its theme. One of the lines he sings goes something like “other kids at school think I’m strange because I have two moms”. Rewind tape two months back…. we have been trying very hard to cultivate an amiable relationship with our new next door neighbors since they moved in. They have a daughter who is close to our son’s age and I thought it might be nice if the kids could be friends and moms and dads could do the back yard bbq thing. I became aware early on they were ‘religious’ people, but did not hold that against them and made every effort to avoid the topic of religious beliefs as one should in polite company. Anywho, last week they were at our place and overheard Junior practicing his lines and asked what the heck he was singing. When I explained what he was doing both of them got a ‘deer in the headlights’ look and shortly afterwards made what felt like an awkward departure. Ever since then we have gotten nothing but icy looks from them and they don’t bother to wave back when I wave at them as I sometimes do passing by. I’m wondering if I should press the issue with them and ask what their problem is or if I should write them off as hopeless fundies. What would you do?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Happy World Town Planning Day! Today, let us reflect on the accomplishments and wisdom of the ancient planners; the builders of Zimbabwe, Shibam and Bairat. I'll be celebrating with some bikram yoga, a vegan lunch, and a Ghanan folk music festival tonight.

EDIT: a change to the FAQ.
    I'll be celebrating having a planning commission hearing this afternoon. I also had what amounted to a chicken pizza in an Italian bun sandwhich from Subway.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I don't know if this is music related, politics, related, or just sheer randomness... but I saw this campaign sign in a store window at lunchtime:

and immediately thought of Steely Dan:

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Junior has been busy lately memorizing words for a song he will sing with a group of kids at church (a UU church) for an upcoming service which will have ‘tolerance’ as its theme. One of the lines he sings goes something like “other kids at school think I’m strange because I have two moms”. Rewind tape two months back…. we have been trying very hard to cultivate an amiable relationship with our new next door neighbors since they moved in. They have a daughter who is close to our son’s age and I thought it might be nice if the kids could be friends and moms and dads could do the back yard bbq thing. I became aware early on they were ‘religious’ people, but did not hold that against them and made every effort to avoid the topic of religious beliefs as one should in polite company. Anywho, last week they were at our place and overheard Junior practicing his lines and asked what the heck he was singing. When I explained what he was doing both of them got a ‘deer in the headlights’ look and shortly afterwards made what felt like an awkward departure. Ever since then we have gotten nothing but icy looks from them and they don’t bother to wave back when I wave at them as I sometimes do passing by. I’m wondering if I should press the issue with them and ask what their problem is or if I should write them off as hopeless fundies. What would you do?
    Ooo, this is a fun one! This actually happens to MW and I sometimes. A new neighbor or acquaintance that has only met one of us and suddenly has an internal meltdown when they realize that I used the word "wife" on purpose. Write them off Maister. You can't change people. They have to learn not to be judgemental antisocial creatures all by their big boy or girl selves. The best you can hope for is that they remain polite and don't try to brainwash your child.

Edit: Hey look! I have been with Cyburbia for two years now! Let's see... that gives me an average of 750 posts per year, or 62.5 per month, or 2 posts per day. Wow, I am a chatter box, eh?

Edit2:
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    We need a front page article about blueshirts, serious "planner's planners", or the like. Maybe the "Top X signs you may be a blueshirt". I'll write it tonight or tomorrow if we get enough responses.
    If you go to public meetings on your evenings off just to "stay informed" about projects proposed in your community.
    Last edited by TerraSapient; 08 Nov 2011 at 7:50 PM.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Well, first of all, you are probably lucky you don't live in the south, where it is perfectly acceptable to meet someone and say "So what church do you go to?" and if you don't have an answer, the questioner will immediately invite you to their church. That can be ugly. That said, blow them off. Your kid being in a tolerance show, they're offended: it's their problem. Be polite, it you wish; but don't let them or their kid tell your kid he's wrong for being in the show.

Closed thread
Page 263 of 322 FirstFirst ... 253 262 263 264 273 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141